• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cold sores

I seem to get cold sores quite frequently these days.....and I've accepted that.......but I seem to have the mother of all cold sores at the mo, in that it feels like a mountain on my lip and keeps re-scabbing, but never heals. Anyone else had/have that same predicament?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I seem to get cold sores quite frequently these days.....and I've accepted that.......but I seem to have the mother of all cold sores at the mo, in that it feels like a mountain on my lip and keeps re-scabbing, but never heals. Anyone else had/have that same predicament?

Guess you know that it is Herpes Simplex. Taking a big dose of Lysine will often clear it up. I'm told you can take as much as 3000 mg morning and evening for a few days safely. If I start to get a cold sore, Lysine will nip it in the bud.

Sushi

Wifi123

I always use an ice cube, wrap it into a thin hankerchief, and I place it directly onto the sore. I keep it there until I can feel a deep down burning sensation, and I keep the ice cube there until the burning sensation disappeares. Might be for twenty minutes. Then keep doing that morning and evening til it goes. If you get it early, as soon as it begins, you will most probably find that you will kill the germ by freezing it to death. It works for me.

I always use an ice cube, wrap it into a thin hankerchief, and I place it directly onto the sore. I keep it there until I can feel a deep down burning sensation, and I keep the ice cube there until the burning sensation disappeares. Might be for twenty minutes. Then keep doing that morning and evening til it goes. If you get it early, as soon as it begins, you will most probably find that you will kill the germ by freezing it to death. It works for me.
Good to know for the next one that comes my way! Just never had so many......seem to almost be a CFS symptom!

adreno

PR activist
You can also apply oregano oil topically on the sore. It will definitely kill it, but it is also quite painful.

Wifi123

I haven't had a cold sore for a long time, and I was wondering if anyone has used tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil?

Timaca

You could also be experiencing an intolerance or allergic reaction to food. Keep track of what you are eating and try cutting out any food or food groups (eg gluten or dairy) that seem to bring the sores on.

Best, Timaca

Sparrow

There's a prescription cream for them that works really well too. I never have one get to the full blister stage anymore, and the little bit that shows up goes away really quickly. This is one of the few places that standard doctors can jump in to the rescue. ;)

SaraM

There's a prescription cream for them that works really well too. I never have one get to the full blister stage anymore, and the little bit that shows up goes away really quickly. This is one of the few places that standard doctors can jump in to the rescue. ;)

I use Desonide cream, but it is not helping much right now. Famvir worked for me better when I had insurance.Does anybody know if one might get these sores in GI tract or any other internal organs?