Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cold sores on famvir

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by sharks, Apr 21, 2017.

1. sharks

sharks Senior Member

I've been on famvir for 4 days now. I get cold sores on my lips that I haven't seen in years. I took long term valtrex. I am getting headaches that diminish every time I take it. Now that it's allergy season. I have not had one allergy symptom. (Which is really weird) When I take it my tremors stop and then when it starts to wear off they come back. When I sleep my puffy eyes go away and then come back. Does that mean it's working? I don't know which is taking over lymes or ebv.

2. sharks

sharks Senior Member

Seriously... not one person is going to help me out here? :bang-head:

3. pcmenten

pcmenten

Vancouver, WA
    I have no wisdom to share, but it seems a bit alarming that HSV is reactivating as a result of an anti-viral. I would not have expected that.

4. sharks

sharks Senior Member

Yeah also I got some chicken pox - like bumps and other virus related bumps. It's really weird.

5. pcmenten

pcmenten

Vancouver, WA
    So, that's HSV (1 or 2), aka HHV 1/2, and HHV3, being reactivated by a treatment for HHV6?

I'm just learning about all this and I'm amazed that so little is known about Human Herpesvirus. Why in the world would an antiviral suppressing one HHV cause other HHV to reactivate? These HHV have been known about for quite some time, yet so little research has been done. I've seen indications that they underly many forms of cancer and other illness. Yet they are research orphans! Breast cancer, lymphoma, oral cancer, and others have been linked. Alzheimer's, MS, Parkinson's also have potential links.

I know, I'm preaching to the choir, but I can't get over how little we know of these HHV.

Webdog and sharks like this.
  6. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I think avs stop viruses replicating not neccessarily reactivating ie be active. On famvir myself i have still had shingles reactivations but not as bad as if i wasnt on famvir. So these tells me viruses still reactivate/wake up but cant replicate and multiply. If that makes sense.

7. sharks

sharks Senior Member

I guess it makes sense. My HSV1/2 outbreaks only come out when I've had a few weeks of going hard (drinking, stress from work etc.) I haven't had an outbreak in 5 years. So to see it come up after I start taking an AV is just weird. It wasn't as bad as a usual outbreak. When I doubled up on my meds the bump went down, then come back up and then go down again after medication. It's weird.

8. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    Supposedly over time on avs the viruses will eventually die out or viral load so low that immune system can take care of it.

Was a theory of trying to get viruses to reactivate then hit it hard with avs to damage their replicating abilities, supposedly eliminate viruses. I tried just using avs when a reactivation happen but the reactivations were too strong.

Also look into zantac as research shows it can treat viruses like varicella that cause shingles and chickenpox so probably other herpes viruses. I have found it helps also, even though its indicated for stomach issues.

9. sharks

sharks Senior Member

I have been looking into this as Zantac is a h2 antihistamine. Do you think this would work with Pepcid? I have a bunch of it in my bathroom right now. But I am also on 40 mg of perscription Prilosec which is a PPI. For gastritis

10. sharks

sharks Senior Member

I tried Pepcid 10 mg and 5 hours later my heart rate went down. I think I am going to take this for 4 more days once a day and see what it does. I am also taking famvir and omeprozole.

11. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    I dont know if pepcid has any effect on immune system??? Just that zantac has helped treat shingles virus by increasing t cell response.

12. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    Hard to tell what helps with cfs as the condition is so up and down
    Usually people stop and start things to see if a treatment is helpful. Thats how many find antivirals. Some dont think its helping but stop and get worse. Avs arent a cure but seem to help many with viral issues.

See more popular forum discussions.