• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cold or Flu?

Finch

Down With the Sickness
:(Well, I'm pretty sure my doctor was wrong when he diagnosed me with a bacterial infection last Tuesday. Here's how it went. Late Monday, pain low in the throat like laryngitis. Tuesday, woke up feeling like bronchitis had set in. Wednesday, extremely sore throat. Thursday, thought things might be getting a bit better. Friday, chest congestion a little worse, and sinuses became very congested. Saturday, blowing my nose all day and feeling terrible. Sunday, blowing my nose a little less, lots of sinus pain, still scratchy throat and chest congestion, extreme exhaustion magnified. No fevers, and less than usual body aches, so I'm confused. I've been feeling more and more wiped out as the days go by. Didn't even want to look at the computer today, and will try not to look too long now.

I'm pretty sure this is viral now, but cold or flu? If it's a cold, it's some kind of a supercold. If it's the flu, I've not gotten a fever, which is kind of unusual for normal people, but not for me. Also, it would be H1N1 if it is the flu, as that's what was here a couple of weeks ago, and I did get the vaccine for the seasonal flu.:confused:

Whatever it is, I'm sure I'll survive, but I really hate it right now!:mad:

MEKoan

Oh dear! I was afraid of that!!!

Poor Finch!

I have read that a lot of the damage the flu does is done by the immune response inself. And, I don't think we mount much response to viruses which is why we test for so many we had no idea we had contact with.

What concerns me for you is that we have little understanding of H1N1 and you may be someone who should really be on tamiflu... several days ago. Hmmm.

Watch your chest. Can you do garlic and onions? Can you tolerate heating your body or am in danger of killing you with my advice.

I'm going to shut up now in case I'm dangerous.

I'm sorry Finch. What a bummer.

I hope we have ME/CFS/flu savvy people here but, obviously, that's not me.

Poor little bird... :eek:

K

_Kim_

Aw, Finch

It doesn't sound like a typical case of bronchitis, now does it? If if was bacterial, the Biaxin would have/should have done its job.

Cold or flu? Hard to say unless you got tested by your doc, in which case, as Koan pointed out...it might be too late for Tamiflu.

Do you tolerate guaifenesin (Mucinex)? It's a decongestant which is used to loosen mucus and relieve nasal congestion and bronchial congestion.

From Wikipedia: It works by drawing water into the bronchi. The water both thins mucus and lubricates the airway, facilitating the removal of mucus by coughing. One may notice a sense of dry mouth when taking this medication. Water consumption is important, not only to help with dry mouth, but also to improve the effectiveness of the drug.

I do hope you start to feel better soon. Staying away from the computer is a good move. Sleep as much as you can.

I'll be thinking of you...

Frickly

Sorry Finch

I think the best thing to do is try and keep your chest clear. Mucinex, long hot steamy showers and don't forget the comfort food.:)

I hope you feel better soon.

Finch

Down With the Sickness
Thank you Koan, Kim, and Frickly. Sleeping, yes. I just forced myself out of bed so I could get something to eat. I plan on going back.

Oh, I wish the doctor would have considered the flu for me. He said because it came on so suddenly, it would be bacterial. He said if it was viral it would have been coming for a few days before I actually got ill. Neither one of us took into consideration the fact that I feel "viral" a lot of the time anyhow and so probably wouldn't notice those kind of symptoms, as they're part of my everyday life!

Yes, Koan, I ate lots of onions the first few days. I kept saying "These onions are going to cure me." I need to send the hubby to pick up some of those marinated garlic cloves, I think. Also, I found some Maitake mushroom supplement that I used to take, and I've been pumping that the last couple of days.

I've been using Mucinex since day 2, and I do think it helps get the stuff moving out. My chest hasn't gotten as congested as it has sometimes in the past. Also drinking lots of water, which of course goes straight through, but I'm sure it helps. My mouth is dry, but it also tastes awful from the Biaxin.

Koan, I've been thinking about doing a sweat soak, but I'm a little bit afraid to. I think at this later stage it might be helpful, though. When I do get a shower (by late afternoon or evening), I try to make it as steamy as possible, and I stay in there for as long as I can stand up, leaning against the wall. The steam does feel good. Now I'm thinking why don't I just sit down in the shower? Gosh I'm slow.

I'm thinking the worst of the congestion part is starting to come to an end, and I'm left with the washrag feeling. Lying there and not moving until there's no other choice. That feeling that something is moving through my muscles and creating utter weakness.

Unfortunately, I really need to get back to my job. I can check on it, and it's really piling up. It's a heavy time of year for this job. I had everything so under control a week ago, and now I've lost a week, and so it'll be pretty hard once I get back. I know I'll have to pace myself carefully. The ever looming big crash really scares me. I know it can come anytime, but getting sick makes it all the more likely.

Look at me feeling so sorry for myself when I'm so lucky to be able to even still have a job. My friends on here, you are the best, and I really appreciate your tea and sympathy!

Love,
Finch

MEKoan

Dear little Finch,

You go right ahead and feel sorry for yourself! I feel sorry for you, too!

Please do sit down in the shower and be careful when you stand back up again - do it slowly, hanging on to something... something like a person!

Sending healing thoughts!

Koan

leelaplay

Aw Finch - yucko. I hope you're a little, no make that a lot, better today.

Yes, Koan, I ate lots of onions the first few days. I kept saying "These onions are going to cure me."

Unfortunately, I really need to get back to my job. I can check on it, and it's really piling up. It's a heavy time of year for this job. I had everything so under control a week ago, and now I've lost a week, and so it'll be pretty hard once I get back. I know I'll have to pace myself carefully. The ever looming big crash really scares me. I know it can come anytime, but getting sick makes it all the more likely.

I find it challenging too to not let myself get overwhelmed by things piling up. And by fear of 'the crash' - terrifying no matter where you are on the spectrum of functionality. Like you with the onions, I do affirmations to help. Somewhere someone had a great quote - the biochemistry of hope is very different from the biochemistry of despair. I don't believe affirmations are 'a cure', but I try to do everything I can (without over-doing of course) to stack things in my favour.

I'm doing an affirmation for you now. You are okay. Rest is good. You will get to your job when you're ready. You will take your time and all will be okay.

Look at me feeling so sorry for myself when I'm so lucky to be able to even still have a job. My friends on here, you are the best, and I really appreciate your tea and sympathy!

Love,
Finch

Sipping tea. Sending love. Sending sympathy. Feeling sorry for you too - being sick sucks (my elegant favourite expression).

if:)

Martlet

Poor Finch! I really feel for you.

He said if it was viral it would have been coming for a few days before I actually got ill.

:confused:

Colds tend to come on gradually. The flu comes out of nowhere and whacks you all of a sudden. And although people tend to associate high fevers with the flu, it is very possible to have H1N1 with no fever.

Look after yourself {{{Finch}}}

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
virtual chicken soup

I know I'll have to pace myself carefully. The ever looming big crash really scares me. I know it can come anytime, but getting sick makes it all the more likely.

Hi Finch,

I'm so sorry you're so sick!

It sounds like your immune system has been marshaling an attack on this bug, whether viral or bacterial. That's good. Immune system fighting is what we want. And sometimes, sometimes instead of a crash afterwards we get a little bump in well-being. Nancy Klimas (that dear we all have a crush on, I think) said in her lecture (being transcribed as we speak and posted on another thread), that she has seen patients who got really sick (hospitalized with high fevers) end up doing better afterwards.

The last cold (or flu) I got left me in better shape for awhile with renewed energy and spirits.

Just giving you another possibility other than thinking a crash is the inevitable outcome of this particular nasty downturn.

Hope you start to feel better soon. I'm sending you a big pot of virtual chicken soup. And since it's virtual, you will not react negatively to any of the ingredients I use. And there will be plenty to share with all your virtual friends.

Finch

Down With the Sickness
Ah, thank you gracenote, for the soup and for the hope of an alternative response! My usual experience has been that it takes months to recover from one of these assults, but we're changing all the time, so who knows? I'll set my thoughts on feeling better instead of worse.

Martlet, I thought the flu came on suddenly like you said. Maybe I just wanted to believe my doctor and didn't push the issue. :(

Islandfinn, thank you for the commiseration and the affirmation!

We'll see what tomorrow brings!

Finch

Down With the Sickness
Well...

I had a short period yesterday when I felt a bit better and did a few things. I think all the good thoughts being sent my way were helping! I felt a little worse again in the evening, but I've decided to try work today (hence the very early post). If I'm doing to badly, I can always leave early and come back home. I think I'm going to have to just live with these symptoms for awhile. They just like to hang on to me.

There's a very good reason why I don't want tomorrow to be my first day back, but I'll have to share that later.

Thank you so much for asking! Also, I've been wondering if you've recovered from your skin infection/inflammation?