• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

cold/bronchitis and extremely stressful last few weeks

Hi everyone. I had a crazy last few weeks and would like to vent a little. First our power went out during the derecho storm that caused millions of people to also lose power. Our power was out for six days during some of the hottest weather of the year. Luckily we have a generator but it's not large enough to run the A/C. On top of that, there were the usual 4th of July festivities, most of which I didn't participate in but pushed myself to do a little for my kids' sake (had friends over for dinner/playdate). Then my sister visited and her partner wasn't exactly understanding about my illness (this is new for them) and accused me of being controlling when all I was doing was setting limits on activity. Sigh. So of course now with all this stress, I have come down with a cold that has probably developed into bronchitis, and I feel much worse overall. To add, I still haven't found a PCP to work with who believes I have CFS so I don't even have a doc to see just to make sure this doesn't develop into anything more serious. Most docs either aren't seeing new patients or have appointments weeks away. Any words of encouragement or advice/experience with colds/bronchitis would be appreciated. Hope everyone else is doing better.

Ema

So sorry to hear that you are struggling! It is so tough when family and friends who are *supposed* to understand make it patently clear that they have no idea truly what you are going through.

I'm so sorry also to hear that you are having trouble finding a doctor still. Maybe try to get on a cancellation list? So many times appointments come up earlier in those type of situations. It's important to get something on the calendar at least so that at least it is coming closer.

Here are some things to consider trying for your bronchitis (though if you are getting colored thick phlegm, I would think about a trip to the doctor to get antibiotics):

1. High dose Vitamin C
2. Vitamin D (especially if levels are low)
3. Zinc
4. Elderberry extract

I also like steamy showers with eucalyptus essential oils in a sprayer bottle. This can really start to break up chest congestion.

Also, if you have reason to believe that you may have flagging adrenals, OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream may help temporarily though I would not use it long term without proper testing. Illness raises cortisol levels and this is a necessary part of the process. If there is HPA axis dysregulation, there may not be enough cortisol to raise to fight the infection properly and so it lingers on and on. This is why those with Addison's are instructed to double their replacement doses of cortisol when ill. I've known several people who used the OTC HC cream successfully this way when ill or under extreme stress of any sort. 1/4 teaspoon is approx equal to 10 mg of hydrocortisone.

hurtingallthetimet

sorry to hear youre having such a hard time...how terrible to be without electirc and it so hot...its hard being without it in the first place...its hard when you have people around who dont understand espically when they are family hopefully they will read up on your illness and try to be more understanding...

hopefully you will find a doctor to help you...or maybe you could just go to one for the cold you are having and they may be able to referre you or call another doctor to take you on if you explain your situation...

hope you start feeling much better

oh no! take it easy with the bronchitis, it can go to pneumonia REAL fast. i had bronchitis last year and was out of action for several weeks. I did get this inhaleler thing which helped, see if your doctor can get you one of those? and just REST! hope you'll be feeling better soon - the last thing you need is other people stressing you out, huh!

ukxmrv

I've got the same bug I think. It went to my chest very quickly. Started on high dose Vit C (Solgar ester is one of the few my stomach will tolerate). Also been taking.

1. Steam inhalations
2. Cough mixture (Potter's was good for this but I don't know if it is available out of the UK)
3. Sambucol

Hope you feel better soon Kathy. Might be an idea to make an appointment even if it is in adavnce just in case you are still sick in a couple of weeks. This does seem to be a bad virus. You can always cancel the appointment if it clears.

Thank you so much, everyone, for your replies and kindness. I made a cough syrup from onions and honey, am upping the Vit. C with lots of lemons and limes (I do have Vit. C powder too and will start that), am eating raw garlic and trying to rest a lot. I also went to a local doc's office who is taking new patients and is not that difficult to get in to see and filled out the new patient paperwork, so have an option if I need it (there's always urgent care too, I suppose, but I was hoping to avoid that). Ukxmrv, this went to my chest quickly too--I had a sore throat on Thursday and a cough by Sunday. Tough_little_kitty, a friend of mine's husband has pneumonia right now and so of course that is in the back of my mind too.

If I do end up seeing the doc who I filled out the paperwork for, this will be one of three appts I have made to try to find a good primary care person, ideally someone who understands the CFS, but I would be happy with someone who I can work with (then I can start looking for a CFS doc in addition). In the meantime, these first appointments are usually scheduled months out and so it doesn't help me with a situation like this.

Again, thanks everyone for listening and responding.

Ema, I'm curious how the cream would be used, just applied topically?

Also, if you have reason to believe that you may have flagging adrenals, OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream may help temporarily though I would not use it long term without proper testing. Illness raises cortisol levels and this is a necessary part of the process. If there is HPA axis dysregulation, there may not be enough cortisol to raise to fight the infection properly and so it lingers on and on. This is why those with Addison's are instructed to double their replacement doses of cortisol when ill. I've known several people who used the OTC HC cream successfully this way when ill or under extreme stress of any sort. 1/4 teaspoon is approx equal to 10 mg of hydrocortisone.

Ema

Yes, just applied topically. I usually use the inner upper arms where the skin is thinner to help with absorption.