• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cold and sweaty hands and feet advice

Hi,

At the moment I am suffering from very cold hands and feet (amongst other things)

Anyone got any ideas or advice on this?

It is a relatively new symptom but I guess I see it as the fact that I am going through a very bad patch right now.. my body struggling to get the blood to my extremities.

Thanks for any insight

Matt

Zensational

Take your basal temperature first thing in the morning with a old fashioned mercury thermometer. You can look-up how to take a basal temp on the internet.
You could be hypothyroid. Most of us are cold. I'll post this video again from Dr. Mercola.
I have been taking Lugol's iodone supplement to nourish my thyroid and I'm up to two drops per day. Have to take it very slow with the iodine supplement.
Do you have recent endocrine tests? Probably not a bad idea to get that done. Take a look at the TSH. Dr Mercola says that the TSH referency range is not accurate and that if your TSH is over 1.5 you could likely be hypothyroid even though the endo says it's okay.
Weak adrenals can make your extremities cold too but I think it all works together with the thyroid.
There is a low of information on http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
Best of luck with this.

Hi Zen,

Thanks for your help. Ill take my temp tomorrow.

My TSH a few weeks ago was 1.4. Is that low? The range I got for normal on the test was 0.32 - 5

Ill try to get full endo tests but it won't be for a while.

Thanks for your help

Matt

Zensational

I'm not sure how to interpret the TSH reference range. All I know is that my TSH is 3.19 and Dr. Mercola says that if it is more than 1.5 you may be hypothyroid even though the reference says otherwise.
It's complicated. There are other factors to consider like the ability to convert the thyroid hormone into useable, Free T3 and Free T4.
Maybe someone else can help more. I would take a look at the www.stopthethyroidmadness.com website and see if you can get more clarity. Don't give up.
Sorry for your rough patch. I know it feels worse when you don't feel good and emotional upset can factor into our well being. Try to keep stress low. Easier said than done.

sianrecovery

Hi stillgoing
Temperature regulation seems to be an issue for many of us - for many reasons. I was chronically cold, esp extremities, for years and years - but for me, it was a thyroid thing, and going on thyroid meds has made a big difference. I'm not the best at interpreting thyroid results, but try posting them in their entirety, and ask for feedback. There is also a good thyroid forum called the Thyroid Patient Advocacy forum which has lots of good material on its website. They are pretty thryoid-centric, but you would expect that. Worth posting your symptoms and results there as well, and saying you are a newbie and need help. Do you know your T4, FT4, or T3?

sianrecovery

ps worth taking your basal temp every morning before you get out of bed to see what is it on average for a week, will try and post a doc I have on that.

Attachments

• Basal Body Temperature Test.pdf
    34.7 KB · Views: 4
So far over 3 mornings it seems to be consistently around 35.8.

Recent TSH is 1.1 and free T4 is 16... so nothing to report there. Doc didnt take T3 or FT4... he doesnt suspect anything wrong with thyroid...