1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cognitive Therapy

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Yungas, Sep 29, 2011.

1. max

max *****

Astrocyte

havn't you heard ........... I AM an ACTIVIST ........ I have no time for TV, for Journalists - these people have had ample opportunity to be on our 'side' - you're damn right I am irate, however, you are so very wrong accusing me of being an "ally of Wessely" - but then again, I think you know that.

Wildcat likes this.
  2. Wildcat

Wildcat Senior Member

Oh Groan.

Its such an old chestnut - telling outspoken but informed patient/carer/activists to be 'good' and to stop being 'naughty' or they will be aiding Wessely and will confirm the (pretty dirty) portrayals of us by those very psychiatrists/medics whose entire careers have been based on misrepresenting our disease, and who you are so diligently (but, in my view, rather naively) promoting as 'nice', Astrocyte.

justinreilly likes this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

We've just had Esther Crawley claiming that PACE shows that 30-40% of CFS patients recover following CBT/GET, and that funding should be directed towards them because of that. Those with authority over us are not behaving in a restrained or reasonable manner - they've screwing us over and pretending that our anger at that is evidence of how disturbed we are.

I've had my disagreements with plenty of people here, including Max, but I don't for an instant think that the problems we face are caused by unreasonable CFS advocates. Everyone could always behave in a more optimal manner - but the primary problems stem from those who are unreasonable and in positions of power and authority - like White. When such a large group of patients are mistreated, there will always be a wide range of reactions to this - that does not justify the mistreatment, or mean that patients are to blame for it. It is not reasonable to expect all CFS patients and advocates to always be reasonable.

LazyLizard, justinreilly and Bob like this.
  4. Wildcat

Wildcat Senior Member

Very Well put, Esther12!

Thank you for making a lucid summing up of the tricky tactics of what could be described as an engrained policy of blaming the patients/carers/activists, ie blaming the largely disempowered victims of a very poweful coterie who have controlled the policy and research for over two decades.

Enid likes this.
  5. max

max *****

Thanks Esther

Wildcat likes this.
  6. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    I disagree 110%. Have you watched the news? They gobble stuff up where there is a big controversy; that's interesting to people. Additionally, protesting against these criminals is reasonable and prudent. It would be highly imprudent not to raise hell about their abuse of sick people.

Wildcat likes this.
  7. LazyLizard

LazyLizard 11yrs with ME

Melbourne
    "... I'd actually be irritated that they didn't stick to their quackery, and let us revel in the absurdity of it for a little longer."
    I just love this sentence. Nicely said.
    Their absurdity does, sadly, have an entertaining effect.

-----------------------
    The PACE trial has done us a favour?
    Please!

-----------------------
    I also fully agree with Orions post.

See more popular forum discussions.