1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cognitive testing causes mental exhaustion lasting days

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    Well if you could 'Somatoform' the length of your legs, then I would wish myself two inches taller both sides :). I have lost two inches in height since ME.

Don't know about a GP. We need Doctor Who to transport you back to the 1970s so that you can wear great big 8" platforms on one foot, and sawn off 6" platforms on the other. :D
    peggy-sue likes this.
  2. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    Which Dr.Who? (I'm fussy ;))

Before it got "seen" to I did spend about 3 months wearing one high-heeled (2") bright red clog and one lower-heeled (I") bright lime green one.
    Fortunately, it didn't look out of place on me.:rofl:

I had my teens in the early '70s. :cautious:
    Don't knock it. We had heavy metal, glam rock, punk and ska then. :thumbsup:
    It wasn't all Grease-y disco!
    And while the clothes and shoes were ridiculous, at least we all knew it - that was the point.:p
  3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I appear to have gained 2 inches in the past 2 years! I probably haven't, but I am having to use walking sticks that are two inches longer now. The ones I was using before are much too short now.

The most likely explanation is that I was stooping before (although my posture has tended to be good all my life).

Or my arms have become shorter, which may mean that I have evolved...

Or I am holding my shoulders higher, maybe thanks to my muscle redevelopment.

It's intriguing, and I must get my height measured when I have the opportunity.
  4. Leopardtail

England
    I have read something to do with Testosterone deficiency causing loss of height... think it had something to do with spinal disks.. but cannot swear to it...
    peggy-sue likes this.
  5. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Oh, maybe I'm turning into a bloke then. :aghhh:
    peggy-sue likes this.
  6. Leopardtail

England
    Start worrying if you get two inches taller.... LOL
    more testosterone = more height.....

Don't worry ... I izz always treating you like a lady... :)
    peggy-sue likes this.
  7. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    I have had my height officially measured (by various nurses) recently at;
    5' 0.5"
    5'
    5' 1.5"
    5' 2"

I was 5' 1.5" all my life before...

Your longer sticks, I would think, MeSci, are needed because you are probably holding yourself better?

- or your arms are disappearing into your shoulders - the way my leg has gone up into my hip:p
  8. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    There was also a recent case on one of the British newspaper sites about a women with a collagen disorder (often associated with Ehler-Danlos Syndrome) who was shrinking due to her neck basically having less support.
    peggy-sue likes this.
  9. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    A friend of mine with Diabetes, had had a long time off work feeling really run-down and they thought eventually it was because he was being too strict with his diet. So he upped the intake of sugar, began feeling better: but then a test result came back showing his was rather low in testosterone.

They measured it over time and still it was showing a marked below average - in a man. So they've now boosted his testosterone levels artificially with shots (or something), and he's back and work and better than before.

I am not sure if testosterone has anything to do with diabetes or if this was simply a case of him having diabetes as well as being low in testosterone. Incidentally, it took a private series of tests - based on his hunch and I think word of mouth - before the NHS would treat him for these low levels.

I have never really looked into testosterone before - and haven't now - but it's possible I guess he noticed other things that might have concerned him and indicated to him a low testosterone reading. Men don't always confide much in other men.
    aimossy, peggy-sue and Marco like this.
  10. Leopardtail

England
    The answer to your implied question @Firestormm is a resounding yes. Testosterone has a relationship to some forms of diabetes (more strongly in type II) and more recent research implies it plays a role in Insulin action (that is by no means universally agreed as yet).

Lowered testosterone is very common in people with PWME but by no means universal.

About normal isn't it? The ME patients must prove their own problem before receiving any help at all.

See more popular forum discussions.