• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cognitive testing causes mental exhaustion lasting days

View the Post on the Blog

Simon McGrath takes a brief look at a recent paper that reveals some of the most powerful evidence of cognitive problems in people with ME/CFS to date...

It might not come as a huge surprise to patients, but a new study has found that mental fatigue can persist long after mental exertion is over.

Specifically, after a 3-hour session of cognitive testing of memory and attention, healthy controls took an average of 7 hours to recover, compared with 57 hours - more than two days - for CFS patients.

While one previous study found mental fatigue continues days after physical exertion, this appears to be the first research paper to demonstrate that mental exertion itself leads to prolonged mental fatigue.

To me, the large difference found between patients and controls makes this some of the most powerful evidence of the cognitive problems in ME/CFS.

Interestingly, this finding only came about thanks to the alertness of Susan Cockshell, the lead researcher who told me:

“I hadn’t originally planned to collect this data, but I had to follow up one of my first participants a few days after testing and she told me she was still fatigued.”

So, post-test mental fatigue was added to the measures.

Mental fatigue for both healthy controls and patients peaked several hours after testing (albeit at lower levels for controls), but 24 hours later, controls were back to pre-test levels while patients were not.

It’s hard to believe we've waited till now to even see testing of post-exertional mental fatigue. Cockshell commented that surprisingly little data existed in this area, but her study shows it is an issue that needs further investigation.

Subjective measures don't match objective measures

The main aim of the study was actually to see if patients’ reports of problems with mental tasks were backed up by objective test of cognitive function - specifically of memory and concentration, two distinctive problems with ME/CFS.

The result? There was no significant correlation between patient reports of fatigue and measured cognitive performance. But this doesn’t mean that patients don’t really have problems with mental tasks because, as Cockshell pointed out, there was also no correlation in healthy controls either (healthy controls reported some problems with memory and concentration too).

The paper concludes:

“There is little evidence for a relationship between subjective and objective measures of cognitive functioning for both people with CFS and healthy controls, which suggests that they may be capturing different constructs.”

In fact, a lot of evidence now shows that people’s self-reported cognitive problems aren't matched by the kind of objective tests used in these studies, which does beg the question: Do we need better tests of cognitive problems in the real world?

stroop1.jpg
To understand this issue better, let’s take the example of concentration, which in the real world means problems such as focusing on reading or blocking out background noise. One measure of concentration (or ‘attention’ in the jargon) is the "Stroop" - a quirky test with a quirky name.

The simplest way to see how it works is just to look at the two lists above. Don’t read them, instead say the colour each word is displayed in, as quickly as you can. Not so easy, but try it online!

Of course, we never have to do tasks like this in real life (and most other cognitive tests are similarly contrived), so is this a meaningful way to measure patients’ problems?

One researcher and clinician, Gudron Lange, has highlighted how everyday tasks, such as going shopping, involve multi-tasking, something that most cognitive tests miss.

Lange has suggested using cognitive tests that include multi-tasking – and virtual reality now provides a way to test real-life scenarios using multi-tasking in the lab.

Cockshell agrees that more work is needed in this area:

“I think a better understanding of the cognitive problems occurring in the real world is required ... but that's a whole other area of research.”

Patients don’t overestimate their problems

Some researchers have argued that the problem in CFS isn't that patients can't do much or perform well, but that they simply underestimate how much they actually do, almost seeing CFS as a delusion syndrome. But this new study, like several others, found that the theory doesn’t hold up:

“Self-reported problems were not due to people with CFS overestimating their problems, as they were able to accurately evaluate their performance on most cognitive tests.”

In fact, patients were at least as good as controls at judging their own performance.

The future...

These clear findings of extended fatigue after the testing fit with an earlier fMRI study (also by Lange), indicating that CFS patients had to use more brain areas to achieve the same results as healthy controls. As Cockshell says:

“People with CFS may perform comparably to their peers by expending additional cognitive effort, and this may subsequently impact on their levels of fatigue.”

This paper provides powerful new evidence of the problems faced by patients with our condition. Yet the mismatch between reported issues and objective performance suggests there we still haven’t found the best way to measure the very real problems experienced by ME/CFS.

Hopefully, this will soon change.

Susan Cockshell will be speaking about her work at the IACFS Conference on Sunday 23.3.14. Read more: Brain Fog: The research.

Simon McGrath tweets on ME/CFS research:

Phoenix Rising is a registered 501 c.(3) non profit. We support ME/CFS and NEID patients through rigorous reporting, reliable information, effective advocacy and the provision of online services which empower patients and help them to cope with their isolation.

There are many ways you can help Phoenix Rising to continue its work. If you feel able to offer your time and talent, we could really use some more authors, proof-readers, fundraisers, technicians etc. We’d also love to expand our Board of Directors. So, if you think you can help in any way then please contact Mark through the Forums.

And don’t forget: you can always support our efforts at no cost to yourself as you shop online! To find out more, visit Phoenix Rising’s Donate page by clicking the button below.

View the Post on the Blog

Wheeeee, thanks, Hip!

I was even able to read your instructions at the same time as doing it - no horrid little computery boxy bits appeared occluding everything, I didn't have to keep bouncing from one window to another, forgetting what I'd just read by the time I get the next one open.

Why can't the business of using computers be made people friendly?

Thanks for that idea, MeSci:love:
As you might be able to see, I have done it. Hopefully, if I've ignored somebody, they'll see it (unless they've got me on an ignore because of my "rudeness")

Last edited:
Anyone else relate to this? Anyone else find that activities which are stimulating, exciting, with a long stream of micro-deadlines, leave you far more exhausted afterwards, compared to activities which are meditative, relaxing, and without micro-deadlines?

I can totally relate, on just about every count. Trying to keep up with conversations is especially challenging. When the conversants are people who tend to interrupt each other, it's even more difficult. I much prefer one person at a time talking, not only in personal conversations, but in TV interviews where's there's more than one guest.

I can totally relate, on just about every count. Trying to keep up with conversations is especially challenging. When the conversants are people who tend to interrupt each other, it's even more difficult. I much prefer one person at a time talking, not only in personal conversations, but in TV interviews where's there's more than one guest.

I have to turn off programmes where people interrupt each other, or talk at the same time, or when random music keeps kicking in during speech. I often find myself clutching my head in distress and shouting "Stop it!" or similar as I rush to turn it off.

I wish they wouldn't put such loud background music behind speech.

Are there not tvs with a feature for turning background noise off, to assist folk with hearing difficulties?

I have to look away if things move too fast (can't stand "action" films) and ask M who got killed and who survived.

I spent the entire film Braveheart, unable to look at anything, so I've not a clue what happened. It was just a lot of unpleasant noise.

I can't bear audience noise, or applause...
I'm a right moaner.:rolleyes:

One of the things I find grates on the mind is the fast-paced camera editing used in many modern films, where you never get more than around 3 seconds on any one scene or face, before the next scene appears, ie, where the whole film is just a series of short edits around 3 seconds long. The Bourne Identity is one such film like this that comes to mind.

My brain finds it uncomfortable to process this constant rapid change of visual scenery in these films. For healthy people, no doubt this fast-paced editing lends an edgy, exciting feel to the film; but for me, it ruins my enjoyment of the film.

Also, the shaky camerawork used in many modern films I find a little unpleasant.

I prefer older films, where cameras were solidly fixed to dollies, so that they did not shake, and where directors tended to use lingering, longer shots on scenes and faces.

I wish they wouldn't put such loud background music behind speech.

Are there not tvs with a feature for turning background noise off, to assist folk with hearing difficulties?

I have to look away if things move too fast (can't stand "action" films) and ask M who got killed and who survived.

I spent the entire film Braveheart, unable to look at anything, so I've not a clue what happened. It was just a lot of unpleasant noise.

I can't bear audience noise, or applause...
I'm a right moaner.:rolleyes:
My TV is an LG. It can't turn background music off, but does have some mysterious feature that selectively boosts voice VERY well and thereby allows volume to be turned down. That prevents the loud music terrorising me. Lot's of TV's have this feature but it works much better on the LGs - it also has very good sound quality which helps me a lot. There is a company called "Richer Sounds" that sells via the web in britain and gives much better info on sound issues.

Ditto, ditto, ditto on the comments about unwelcome music (even in PBS documentaries for heaven's sake), and fast paced camera and film editing. They apparently believe they need to do this to keep viewers' attention, but research has been done showing that slow-paced learning of all kinds keeps people's attention far better.

My TV is an LG. It can't turn background music off, but does have some mysterious feature that selectively boosts voice VERY well and thereby allows volume to be turned down. That prevents the loud music terrorising me. Lot's of TV's have this feature but it works much better on the LGs - it also has very good sound quality which helps me a lot. There is a company called "Richer Sounds" that sells via the web in britain and gives much better info on sound issues.
If you have surround sound, and the program supports it, you can use that to listen. And you can change the settings to make the center speaker (which usually has the dialogue coming out of it) much louder. I turn that one up as much as possible, and I also turn the bass down as far as possible. Then everything sounds about right - I can hear the dialogue without my eardrums being blown away by special effects noises.

One of the things I find grates on the mind is the fast-paced camera editing used in many modern films, where you never get more than around 3 seconds on any one scene or face, before the next scene appears, ie, where the whole film is just a series of short edits around 3 seconds long. The Bourne Identity is one such film like this that comes to mind.

My brain finds it uncomfortable to process this constant rapid change of visual scenery in these films. For healthy people, no doubt this fast-paced editing lends an edgy, exciting feel to the film; but for me, it ruins my enjoyment of the film.

Also, the shaky camerawork used in many modern films I find a little unpleasant.

I prefer older films, where cameras were solidly fixed to dollies, so that they did not shake, and where directors tended to use lingering, longer shots on scenes and faces.

TV news and documentaries often use these silly effects now, such as suddenly switching from colour to monochrome and back again, going from a full-body shot to a close-up of someone's hands, etc. It's as though the cameraperson feels compelled to show off all the weird arty techniques they have learned, or wants to dictate to the viewer what s/he should be focusing on.

I like to decide what to focus on, and we are all different, so I wish they would just give us the full shot and let us look around as we do when interacting in real life.

It has also become increasingly common on UK TV to suddenly change the speed of a price of film.

Like you, I just find it all so distracting that I can't follow what's happening.

Some of this is probably due to fatigue of the eye muscles.

TV news and documentaries often use these silly effects now, such as suddenly switching from colour to monochrome and back again, going from a full-body shot to a close-up of someone's hands, etc. It's as though the cameraperson feels compelled to show off all the weird arty techniques they have learned, or wants to dictate to the viewer what s/he should be focusing on.

I like to decide what to focus on, and we are all different, so I wish they would just give us the full shot and let us look around as we do when interacting in real life.

It has also become increasingly common on UK TV to suddenly change the speed of a price of film.

Like you, I just find it all so distracting that I can't follow what's happening.

Some of this is probably due to fatigue of the eye muscles.
Not sure about eye muscles (for me personally), but it definitely overloads cognition. Where they are jumping backwards and forwards in time though, I do find it helpful when the 'historical stuff' is in mono - lowers cognitive demand. The thing I find hardest though is definitely volume jumping up and down.

LG is a brand of TV, they seem to have better 'voice enahancement' and generally better sound for their price point in some models.
I find music shows are much better on mine than with most TVs without surround sound. Less distortion, less booming, less awful peaks in volume.

:p
Frights are not fun. I jump, it makes me move the leg with sciatica in it. It HURTS.:(
If the cat is sitting on me, she gets a fright because I've jumped - so she leaps up and digs claws in.
That hurts too.:(

:p
Frights are not fun. I jump, it makes me move the leg with sciatica in it. It HURTS.:(
If the cat is sitting on me, she gets a fright because I've jumped - so she leaps up and digs claws in.
That hurts too.:(
I pictured myself doing the same thing hence the amusement was at myself. Sorry if that was not clear. My cat (now deceased) was at times so skittish she would have made me jump due to the claws. At others she just scouled at me as if to say "quit the jumping and chillax, I am sleeping here".

Of those things, the sciatica (I suffered it briefly) was definitely the worst. Have you found anything that helps for the sciatica?

Last edited:
Keeping active!:rolleyes:

Don't worry, I did do a :p to indicate that I understood, (before launching into my melodramatic moan.)

It's ok when I'm pottering around during the day. I need strong prescription painkillers to get me through the night.

Muzz and I had a very strange co-ordinated jumping in fright last week - she did the first one, but she must have hit some point in my pelvis that caused a "knee-jerk" reaction in me,

with the reaction only going via my spine not up to my brain and back down- so it was practically simultaneous, not one being jumping, then another being jumping.

It had me completely confused for a few moments.

Keeping active!:rolleyes:

Don't worry, I did do a :p to indicate that I understood, (before launching into my melodramatic moan.)

It's ok when I'm pottering around during the day. I need strong prescription painkillers to get me through the night.

Muzz and I had a very strange co-ordinated jumping in fright last week - she did the first one, but she must have hit some point in my pelvis that caused a "knee-jerk" reaction in me,

with the reaction only going via my spine not up to my brain and back down- so it was practically simultaneous, not one being jumping, then another being jumping.

It had me completely confused for a few moments.
I had those 'sciatica' style pains before I started on Mito supplements and antioxidants. I came to the conclusion it was due to oxidative damage to my nerves. In me it produced a 'burning rods' sensation running along the nerves.

Funny though with high fatigue you could shock me near into a heart attack, but I had no reflexes so the 'knee jerk' thing disappeared completely. I have seen some stuff thyroid related to do with reflexes but have not followed it up.

Well if anybody is entitled to a bit of melodrama, I think that would be us. LOL

I have one leg "functionally" shorter than the other.:cautious:

They haven't suggested it's somatoform, or sent me to a shrink for it yet. :rolleyes:

But I haven't been sent to a shrink for my ME either.
Apparently there was one in Dundee, but he was desperately oversubscribed, so refusing to take any more on, and not having any success anyway. (That's what my gp told me. But he is known to tell lies.)

I am 5' 0" when I stand one one of them, and 5' 2" if I stand on the other.
The sciatica is caused by the imbalance in my hips, something is pressing on some major nerve right inside my right buttock, (it sends pains up and down the whole leg, jerks, twitches, etc.)
and the fact that I now tend to walk on a camber.:D