May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cognitive processing of exercise and activity-related information in CFS, asthma & healthy controls

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

http://www.ehps2016.org/files/EHPS2016_Abstracts_Book_08082016.pdf

Via this tweet:

Webdog likes this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Kina solidarity

New Zealand
    OFFS, @Dolphin, doesn't this stuff wear you down? The rubbish research just keeps on coming.

I doubt that there is actually any real effect here - there is assumption piled upon assumption piled upon biased researchers teetering all on top of a very small sample.

But even if there was, isn't it more plausible that, once put into a sad mood, the CFS patients preferred not to look at words and pictures that reminded them of what they used to be able to do?

ETA - that kind of alternative interpretation would suggest that people with CFS have developed healthy strategies for coping with a difficult situation.

Sean, denmarkk, ahmo and 7 others like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Yes, it is frustrating.
    But it's important I think to find the problems: a lot of entities and people (including professionals) just look at findings at a superficial level e.g. PACE Trial shows CBT and GET are effective therapies or whatever. As patients or people who live with people with the illness, many of us can find flaws that professionals might miss.

ahmo, Valentijn, TiredSam and 6 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Senior Member

You don't say? Only took you 30 years to figure that out?

:bang-head::bang-head::bang-head:

Webdog, Valentijn, TiredSam and 4 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Kina solidarity

New Zealand
    Oh, re-reading the abstract, I see I incorrectly assumed, based on the discussion, that they had found evidence that people with CFS avoided looking at words and pictures showing 'activity' more than other people when induced to have a depressed mood.

But as @Sean highlighted, they don't seem to have found that at all.

All they found was that all groups tended to not look at the pictures of activity so much compared to pictures of neutral things when they had been induced to be 'depressed'. And that people with CFS tended to not do so much activity as the people with asthma and the healthy people.

And yet from that, they managed to conclude:

When, what they really should be saying is 'There is no evidence that people with CFS or asthma are cognitively avoiding pictures of activity more than healthy people' and 'People from all cohorts seemed to look less at pictures of activity when induced to have a depressed mood'.

ukxmrv, Effi, Valentijn and 1 other person like this.
  6. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    If we had a Hall of Fame, Dolphin would be my first nominee.

Webdog, Hutan, Dolphin and 5 others like this.
  7. denmarkk

denmarkk

Maryland, USA
    Serious question - what does it mean when they say "induced to have a depressed mood"? How does one induce depression in someone? I would love to know their complete methodology of attempting this. I immediately flashed to a story of a director who wanted a child actor to be sad for a scene and told the poor lad his dog died.

Webdog likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.