1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cognitive problems because of medications?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by arx, May 10, 2013.

1. arx

arx Senior Member

Hi,

I want to know if any of you have faced cognitive problems because of medications, mainly antidepressants and/or antipsychotics. I am on some medications and have trouble with concentration and memory. Could the medicines be causing this? If you have some experience,please share.

Thanks!

2. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    Hi arx;
    I did have cognitive problems because of some medications.
    With SSRI's, I had increased depression, sometimes uncontrollable crying.
    With an SNRI, I had uncontrollable anxiety.
    With mirtazapine, hypomania.
    With imipramine, suicidality.

I tried low dose Zyprexa, ( olanzapine), for insomnia; and experienced sudden weight gain, brain fog, and fatigue.

Some drugs suppress thyroid function, causing fatigue and cognitive dysfunction.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21996646

3. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    arx likes this.
  4. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Sometimes SSRIs have caused cognitive problems for me, but not always I don't think. Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors are sometimes prescribed for ADD so SNRIs could possibly help (although they're not exactly the same so maybe not). I haven't found SNRIs helpful for depression though and I don't remember if they helped with brain fog. I've also experienced weight gain from atypical antipsychotics such as Zyprexa and Risperdal, but I slept so well that I made two of my biggest recoveries during those periods. The second time (when I was on Risperdal) I got to the point where I was able to work out at the gym. I also had high cholesterol with those medications. Plus they can cause high blood sugar.

See more popular forum discussions.