1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Things of Beauty? Joy Forever -- Even with ME/CFS
I spent every day for years propped up on pillows on my bed. I could see out my window to the left. My messy closet was to the right. Looking straight ahead I saw a television, a messy desk and a dresser.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cognitive problems because of medications?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by arx, May 10, 2013.

1. arx

arx Senior Member

Hi,

I want to know if any of you have faced cognitive problems because of medications, mainly antidepressants and/or antipsychotics. I am on some medications and have trouble with concentration and memory. Could the medicines be causing this? If you have some experience,please share.

Thanks!
  2. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    Hi arx;
    I did have cognitive problems because of some medications.
    With SSRI's, I had increased depression, sometimes uncontrollable crying.
    With an SNRI, I had uncontrollable anxiety.
    With mirtazapine, hypomania.
    With imipramine, suicidality.

I tried low dose Zyprexa, ( olanzapine), for insomnia; and experienced sudden weight gain, brain fog, and fatigue.

Some drugs suppress thyroid function, causing fatigue and cognitive dysfunction.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21996646
  3. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    arx likes this.
  4. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Sometimes SSRIs have caused cognitive problems for me, but not always I don't think. Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors are sometimes prescribed for ADD so SNRIs could possibly help (although they're not exactly the same so maybe not). I haven't found SNRIs helpful for depression though and I don't remember if they helped with brain fog. I've also experienced weight gain from atypical antipsychotics such as Zyprexa and Risperdal, but I slept so well that I made two of my biggest recoveries during those periods. The second time (when I was on Risperdal) I got to the point where I was able to work out at the gym. I also had high cholesterol with those medications. Plus they can cause high blood sugar.

See more popular forum discussions.