• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cognitive Dysfunction in Patients with Macrophagic Myofasciitis (MMF).

shannah

Wondering if some of our knowledgeable science people can offer their comments or interpretation on this piece of research. I know some PWC's also have a myofasciitis diagnosis. Does this piece offer any insights?

J Inorg Biochem. 2011 Nov;105(11):1457-63. Epub 2011 Aug 22.

Long-term follow-up of cognitive dysfunction in patients with aluminum hydroxide-induced macrophagic myofasciitis (MMF).

Passeri E, Villa C, Couette M, Itti E, Brugieres P, Cesaro P, Gherardi RK, Bachoud-Levi AC, Authier FJ.

Source

Paris Est-Creteil University & Henri-Mondor University Hospital (APHP): Reference Center for Neuromuscular Diseases Garches-Necker-Mondor-Hendaye, Creteil, F-94010, France; Departments of Neurology, Creteil, F-94010, France.

Abstract

Macrophagic myofasciitis (MMF) is characterized by specific muscle lesions assessing long-term persistence of aluminum hydroxide within macrophages at the site of previous immunization. Affected patients are middle-aged adults, mainly presenting with diffuse arthromyalgias, chronic fatigue, and cognitive dysfunction. Representative features of MMF-associated cognitive dysfunction (MACD) include (i) dysexecutive syndrome; (i) visual memory; (iii) left ear extinction at dichotic listening test. In present study we retrospectively evaluated the progression of MACD in 30 MMF patients. Most patients fulfilled criteria for non-amnestic/dysexecutive mild cognitive impairment, even if some cognitive deficits seemed unusually severe. MACD remained stable over time, although dysexecutive syndrome tended to worsen. Long-term follow-up of a subset of patients with 3 or 4 consecutive neuropsychological evaluations confirmed the stability of MACD with time, despite marked fluctuations.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22099155

Enid

Well I hope this all feeds into general ME dysfunctions and the cause. My own MRI showed "high spots" in the brain at one stage (couldn't recognise things but now can - it's temporay - some sort of encephalitis one gets over).

shannah

I thought it might be helpful to post a couple of definitions of Macrophagic Myofasciitis here.

Wikipedia says
Macrophagic Myofasciitis, or MMF, is a rare muscle disease identified in 1993. The disease is characterized by microscopic lesions found in muscle biopsies that show infiltration of muscle tissue by PAS-positive macrophages.[1] Specific causes of MMF are unknown, but the disease is most often associated with the pathological persistence of aluminium hydroxide used in some vaccines. Clinical symptoms include muscle pain, joint pain, muscle weakness, fatigue, fever, and muscle tenderness. A diagnosis can only be identified with an open muscle biopsy of the vaccinated muscle.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrophagic_myofasciitis

MedicineNet.com
Macrophagic myofasciitis: A muscle disease first identified in 1993, macrophagic myofasciitis is named for the findings seen in tissue from muscle biopsies, namely an abnormal infiltrate surrounding muscle tissue of specialized immune cells called "macrophages," a type of immune cell important to swallowing and destroying microorganisms. They also assist other immune cells in the body's response to invading organisms.
The cause of macrophagic myofasciitis is not known. Suspected causes include environmental factors, which may be toxins or infections.
Muscle pain is the most frequent symptom. This can be localized to the limbs or be more diffuse. Other symptoms include joint pain, muscle weakness, fatigue, fever, and muscle tenderness.

The disorder is associated with an altered immune system in some, but not all, patients. A significant number of patients had taken chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine for malaria; these drugs are known to inhibit the secretion from macrophages of a cell messenger molecule called interleukin. The cause of macrophagic myofasciitis has not been identified. A unique material that accumulates within the affected macrophages has been seen on electron microscopy but this material has yet to be characterized. Most patients have responded to treatment with antibiotics and/or steroids within a few days or weeks.

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=7861