1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cognitive behavioural therapy in chronic fatigue syndrome: RCT of group programme (O'Dowd et al, 200

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Tom Kindlon, Mar 26, 2014.

1. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

@Tom Kindlon

Thanks for the analysis. I haven't had a chance to read all of it but something caught my eye. The dropout rate.

I'm surprised, unless I missed it, that the study doesn't mention people dropping out because they were too sick and exhausted to continue.

I wanted to be a participant in three different studies. The Baraniuk study where I didn't have the energy to fill out the questionanaire which I think was about 50 pages. The second one was close to where my dad lives. I made it to his place but not the study. The third was here in town about exercise (not GET), and after thinking about it realized it just wasn't feasible.

All this simply to say, I think this is a big factor with these studies. You most likely will get a healthier group and that can skew the results.

I'm not sure how/if a study can get around this issue.

Barb
    Valentijn, WillowJ and Tom Kindlon like this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    It looks like academic dishonesty - manipulating the results until they find something which is statistically significant, even if they to ignore their own data to do it.
    There's that question answered ... I was wondering what they were trying to hide by showing baseline scores for the patients as a whole, but then showing outcome scores based on groups to suggest CBT is teh awes0me. These sorts of tactics do not belong in academia, and should not be tolerated or published. Ditto for their dishonest reporting of the SF-36 scores.
    Isn't it nice when 30% of participants are already cured at the beginning of the trial :rofl:
    And that they pretty much admit that the one "borderline significant" HADS result probably isn't significant if they would correct for multiple outcome measures. Another failure to take all of the data properly into account. And "borderline significant" does not exist, and does not excuse them from calculating those corrections.
    Tom Kindlon likes this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The shuttle lengths were 10m. So the test looks like it is the one that is often called the six minute walking test (6MWT).
    Valentijn likes this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

I just posted this quick comment on PubMed Commons http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17014748#cm17014748_3673:

Simon, Valentijn and WillowJ like this.

See more popular forum discussions.