1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Coffee reduces depression risk

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Nielk, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
  2. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

I know that coffee increases dopamine in the brain. I wouldn't be surprised if this has to do with a decreased depression risk.

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I wonder if there are confounding factors here.

eg: Maybe those with more active and pleasurable lives drink more coffee? Or maybe those who don't drink any coffee might be more likely to be socially isolated?

It could well be that coffee itself has some affect, but those are some of the sorts of factors that I'd like to see a study like this try to account for.

4. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Esther,

Don't ruin my fun. I'm so happy I have a good reason now to drink my coffee. Besides, it definitely helps with my headaches.

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Fun sounds like the best way of avoiding depression!

I've been off caffeine since getting ill - it makes me feel really buzzy and strange. Maybe I should give it another go - I always had a sense that feeling the strange was probably a bad sign. Maybe not though - as recreational drugs go, it's probably a pretty safe way of getting a high!

6. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    I feel fine with it as long as I don't overdue it. I usually will have two cups a day. Like you said, it's nice to have something we enjoy for a change.

7. allyann

allyann Senior Member

Melbourne Australia
    I've hardly had coffee since I've been pregnant due to heart palpitations. I miss it so much but at least I have broken the addiction cycle! When I used to work, every meeting with a client was over coffee. Five expressos a day would really get you buzzing :D

8. glenp

glenp "and this too shall pass"

Vancouver Canada suburbs
  9. sandgroper

sandgroper

west australia
    I have just restarted it after about 15 years off. The last 8 years i had tea and that seemed to help headaches. I am was hoping the caffeine would help with being upright and now I have to see if I can take it without payback. For years i avoided things like salt only to find that I need it to hold fluids, so what is one mans poison is some else's medicine...or so it would seem

10. leaves

leaves Senior Member

yes well coffee increases seizures too, so Ill pass..

11. mellster

mellster Marco

San Francisco
    Thanks - I had one today after reading this :)

12. Francelle

Francelle Senior Member

Victoria, Australia
    The most depressed people I've ever known (admittedly not too many) drank the most coffee I've ever seen anyone drink. They never let their cup/mug get empty while at the same time puffing on another relentless cigarette!

Perhaps my small anecdotal 'trial' amounts for zilch - lol!

13. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    coffee is too much caffeine at one go for me, but I find that tea does me good. a vasoconstrictor, it could help with OI. then again, it's also a diuretic, so could go the other way for some.

I never heard about seizures, but caffeine can either help or trigger a migraine (related, at least some kinds are)

See more popular forum discussions.