• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coffee Enemas!!

Undisclosed

Hmmm. What makes me ill, disgusts me, and what I consider not only abusive but fascist are those sadly hopeless people who would restrict the choices of those who don't hold their views because NOT SCIENCE. Or something.

Please note I'm NOT saying you are one of those people...of course you're not. Just using language you're apparently comfortable with so we're all on the same page.

I am not sure what you are referring to here. People have the freedom of choice to choose whatever kind of medical care they want to receive. Many cancer care centres offer a combination of alternative and mainstream treatments.

At any rate you're making an awful lot of declarations as if they're fact, when they're not. Neither of us knows what could have saved my father, or Steve Jobs. Both of whom were famous for doing exactly WTF they wanted to do, even if dear ol' dad was famous in a much smaller circle. They both did, and they both died, one from science and one from "quacky bullshit". Not sure why anyone would want to deprive them of their choices.

I am not saying anything is a fact and I didn't say anybody was being deprived of choices. Steve Jobs had a rare form of pancreatic cancer called islet cell neuroendocrine tumour which is the only kind of pancreatic cancer that is treatable and curable. His treatment choices probably led to an unnecessarily early death. He opted to use a vegan diet, acupuncture, various herbal remedies, juice fasts, and bowel cleanses. He refused any kind of mainstream intervention for over 9 months. He underwent a whipple procedure which removed his tumour but he waited much too long. The only choices Jobs was deprived of were choice he himself deprived himself of. He could have combined alternative with mainstream, he choice not to and very likely paid for that. Sadly, sometimes with cancer, no form of treatment is successful.

When something is said to 'cure' cancer as the Gerson Institute has done, I think it's prudent to ask questions which I attempted to do here because a member was making outlandish and sweeping generalizations about coffee enema's. I got no answers. At least now people can read a range of information that may or may not be pertinent to the health choices they make.

whodathunkit

When something is said to 'cure' cancer as the Gerson Institute has done, I think it's prudent to ask questions which I attempted to do here because a member was making outlandish and sweeping generalizations about coffee enema's.
Not really any worse than the outlandish and sweeping statements I see bandied about with regards to science. For example:
Steve Jobs and Michael Landon both died because they believed that nutrition protocols could cure them. Michael Landon would have died no matter what -- he was doing the Gerson protocol.Steve Jobs could have been saved.
Good heavens. We're *sure* Steve Jobs could have been saved? Hmmm. Michael Landon died *only* because he was doing the Gerson protocol? Really? How can we be sure? None of us have ever even met these men, let alone be privy to their health records.

IMO those kinds of absolute statements with regards to people we really know nothing about sound a little outlandish to me. Certainly as outlandish as anything else that's been said in this thread regarding coffee enemas or "quack bullshit treatments".

I guess my biggest problem with the tenor of the statements being made about "quack bullshit treatments" is that they are a hairsbreadth away from calls to ban such choices because people who believe in the "quack bullshit treatments" are not quite as smart as people who don't, and thus usually (in the opinion of those who don't like the "quack bullshit treatments") need to be protected from their own bad judgement.

Please forgive me for taking that little leap of logic. But history tells us 'twas ever thus, whether the demon be alcohol, weapons, or simply "quack bullshit treatments".

That's just one of the reasons I step up. Because as someone who has improved my health far more with what are often regarded around here as "quack bullshit treatments" than I ever have with science-based protocols, I value the right to choose what I want, when I want. I actually agree that Jobs made poor choices for his state of health, but if you'll allow me a little poetic turgidity, I will defend to the death his right to make the same choices all over again, and to have the information freely available to anyone else who might so choose.

But mainly, I step up because I have the right to choose and talk about my choices without my choices being sneered at and derided as "quack bullshit" by those who apparently *think* they're smarter than me.

I guess I just don't understand why people who don't like "quack bullshit treatments" feel compelled to come into threads like this with argumentative and condescending comments. None of us here need to be saved from our stupidity. In fact, my own stupidity over the "quack bullshit treatments" has gotten me from getting two month's worth of severe PEM from a half hour of lifting weights to being able to lift weights for an hour twice per week. On other boards devoted to "quacks" and their theories I'm seeing people who were worse off than me healing themselves with "quack bullshit". I'll take that kind of stupidity over the results I've gotten from mainstream science-based therapeutics any day of the week. YMMV.

Last edited:

Valentijn

I guess my biggest problem with the tenor of the statements being made about "quack bullshit treatments" is that they are a hairsbreadth away from calls to ban such choices ....
It's been explicitly stated in this thread that this is not the intent.

In fact, my own stupidity over the "quack bullshit treatments" has gotten me from getting two month's worth of severe PEM from a half hour of lifting weights to being able to lift weights for an hour twice per week.
This is what people are objecting to. You are extrapolating from your personal belief and subjective experience to make a broader claim which is contradicted by every aspect of science. Yet you seem to suggest that it constitutes valid and even rational/scientific evidence of effectiveness.

whodathunkit

Yet you seem to suggest that it constitutes valid and even rational/scientific evidence of effectiveness.
If my experience as a human being improving my health does not constitute valid evidence of effectiveness, I'm not sure what does.

Thank you for utterly dismissing my recovery, BTW. How very stellar of you to do that. :thumbsup:

I hope the next rat study that comes out that indicates something may cure ME/CFS has something to offer everyone who is sitting around waiting for science to fix them. Meanwhile, I'll be trying out coffee enemas and Ray Peat and whatever else I can get my hands on that I think might improve me further. Cuz while I've come a long way, I'm not done yet. And I'm not willing to sacrifice my lifespan sitting around waiting for geeks in a lab to prove something works on a majority, cuz nothing works for everyone and I'm walking around every day in the best laboratory for me. Also not going to ignore millennia of anecdotal human wisdom. That's as inherently wrongheaded as ignoring everything in PubMed. And that's what this thread is REALLY all about. I expect both Michael Landon and Steve Jobs felt the same way.

Peace out.

Last edited:

Violeta

Well, @douglasmich, if you are having some good effects from coffee enemas, might I also recommend Pauling Therapy, high dose vitamin C! Not only are the two therapies very economical, but the two therapies are helping me tremendously!

Join us at the Vitamin C facebook page for more information!

Hip

The trouble with many scientific critiques of alternative or unconventional treatments is that these critiques are often a little bit lazy. Often not enough effort is made by those scientific minds criticizing, in terms of trying to figure out whether there might be some partial truth to the claims (truth in terms of empirical evidence, or truth in terms of a plausible theoretical mechanism of action).

If you don't address and admit to the possible benefits that alternative or unconventional treatments might offer, it begins to look more like a war against alternative treatments, rather than an honest evaluation. And a war is more likely to turn people off your scientific arguments than convince them.

Another issue is that you should never assume that the mechanism of action proposed by the alternative therapist to explain how their therapy works is correct. The therapy may indeed have some efficacy, but it may work by a totally different mechanism to the one proposed. Gerson talks about coffee enemas removing toxins, presumably by increased bile flow, and according to Gerson, this is how such enemas produce an anti-cancer effect. But this detoxification mechanism may or may not be the right one. Coffee enemas might have some anti-cancer effects, but the mechanism could be a completely different one to detoxification.

It did not take me long to find a speculative possible mechanism of action of the assumed anti-cancer effect of coffee enemas, which I posted above, and is this:
Now it has been shown that cholic acid, one of the primary bile acids secreted by the human liver, also reduces endoplasmic reticulum stress (although in the liver itself, it seems, bile acids may actually increase ER stress). So as coffee enemas increase the secretion of bile acids from the liver, it seems likely that coffee enemas may also serve to reduce endoplasmic reticulum stress.

If coffee enemas do reduce ER stress, it occurred to me that this could help explain the claims of anti-cancer effects from coffee enemas, since numerous studies have linked ER stress and cancer.

Note also that there is a lot of published evidence showing that coffee drinking does have an anti-cancer effect: see the studies cited in this article:

Coffee, Caffeine, and Cancer: What the Research Reveals

So if regular coffee drinking is shown to reduce the incidence of several types of cancer, and if coffee enemas somehow increase the potency of the known anti-cancer effect of coffee, it's not inconceivable that coffee enemas could have some useful effects in treating cancers.

Coffee enemas are not something I would rely on to treat cancer if I was unfortunate enough to get it, but it is something I might consider doing in addition to chemotherapy, although I'd want to read a lot more about coffee enemas before I tried them for that purpose.

whodathunkit

What was it that helped reduce your PEM? I am collecting "PEM Buster" treatments.
A couple of things. I don't talk about what happened that much because I don't really understand it at all. Compounded by the lack of coherent physiologic explanation (lots of studies hint at various mechanisms but there is no synthesis or meta-analysis of anything published that explains what happened to me) is the fact of my fairly poor cognition. While my physical functioning has gotten better, my brainfog and cognition seems to have gotten somewhat worse. I read things, I get hints of what seem like fairly ground-breaking ideas in relation to what I read...and then I forget it all. Can't hang onto it long enough to elucidate. Interestingly in connection with this thread, it all ties into choline and bile and how those work on the liver and the gut.

Also, I'm not sure what happened to me can ever be replicated. I'm not sure it should. But it happened and my health improved dramatically afterwards.

I'm going to tell it sort of like a story instead of just giving a straighforward list of supps because the context matters.

Anyway, first thing: back at the end of 2014 I started trying this nootropic stack comprised of Alpha GPC, citicholine, sulbutiamine, ALCAR, and a failed pharmaceutical cum nootropic called Noopept. I'd been doing @Freddd's protocol since the end of 2013 with great improvement in overall physical functioning, but stamina was lacking. I would still crash with too much physical exertion, and lingering PEM was still an issue. PEM was much better than it was when I started Freddd, and it took much more stimulus to push me into an episode, but exertion tolerance was not normal and it was still a problem. I also had really high blood sugars that just wouldn't go down. Not because of Freddd protocol, they were high years before I started, but they weren't going down even with the other physical improvement. And cognition had gotten somewhat worse than it was before I started Freddd.

After reading around a bit I decided to stack theses supps to see how they might help my cognition. After about a month on them my motivation went through the roof. I had a couple of days where I was able to clean my house for 8 solid hours, without getting bored, overwhelmed, having a screaming meltdown due to frustration, needing to lay down every five minutes, etc. It was like magic. But at the same time, I was also getting anxiety and fuzzy-headedness. I could stay on task better but my thoughts in other areas seemed more scattered, if that makes sense. I realize now this was probably classic ACh overload but what it temporarily did for my motivation and ability to stay on task was miraculous. Also seemed to improve my physcial stamina, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to clean my long-neglected house the way I did.

Then I crashed. Hard. It was a vomiting stomach flu unlike anything I'd experienced since I was a kid. Then I started (sorry for TMI) spewing algae-green water out the other end. Vomiting stopped after about 24 hours but the algae dump went on for several days. It was *green*. Probably bile straight from the liver. I ran a fever of about 101 for a week. Didn't drink anything but grape juice and ginger ale for until my fever broke.

At the end of this my blood sugars had come down 30-50 clicks, and stayed down permanently.

Food cravings were gone. I truly didn't feel the need to eat the same crap I'd been eating my whole life. I wanted good food not cheeseburgers and fries.

My energy was changed. I didn't get up and start doing HIIT the week I recovered, but as I cautiously experimented I realized I no longer got PEM, I no longer crashed, and I could do much, much more than before.

That was also my last crash. I haven't had one since. Not to say I'll never get another, probably I will at some point, but so far it hasn't happened. It's been a year and a half. It's rare I even get that minor flu-y feeling these days, the one that never tips into a crash but makes you afraid you're gonna if you don't slow down. Flu-y feeling was a fairly regular companion for years. For all practical purposes it's gone since the "choline flu".

The second thing I did to get rid of PEM was pre- and pro-biotics. After the "choline flu" I recognized some very strong connections between my physical energy and the state of my gut and liver, so I got into the big Resistant Starch thread and did a bunch of that. I used (and still use) pretty much all the stuff we chattered about in that thread, including VSL3, c.butyricum, l.plantarum, potato starch, etc. With the gut therapeutics my physical stamina continued to increase and stabilize. It's stable to this day. I can do an hour of exercise per day and still have enough energy to do whatever else I need to do without crashing.

Motivation still remains a problem, however. Still working on that. I've never been able to replicate those magical couple of days where I cleaned my house without melting down.

And of course, cognition is a problem. As is digestion and gut motility, interestingly. Both digestion and gut are much better but still seeking permanent and total resolution of issues there.

All my remaining problems point to dysfunction of the liver and dysregulation of ACh. But frak me if I can figure it all out. I start reading and thinking about the different actions of muscarinic receptors and nicotinic receptors and yada yada yada and it makes me want pull the blinds down again and head for the couch.

I'm pretty good at intuiting what might work for me based on what I read, but if someone asks me to tell them why it works, I wind up sounding like a big damn goober. So I mostly just keep my mouth shut. But I'm still nosing around trying to bring about the next big break that's going to fix the rest of this mess.

My primary POV is if I don't get fixed, and I wind up dying, I'm going to be dead and I won't care that I wasted all this time and money on this stuff.

But if I do manage to get fixed, then my time and money isn't wasted.

Even if I die early, at least I had some functional time instead of waiting around in dysfunction for someone to drop the miracle on me like manna from heaven.

Aaaaanywaaaay...those are my two PEM-busters and energy stabilizers.

1) A nootropic stack consisting of Alpha GPC, citicholine, sulbutiamine, ALCAR, and something called Noopept. IMO they did something to both my gut and liver (which brings us also back around to ER stress and @mariovitali's thread), but I couldn't tell you what.

2) Pre- and probiotics.

HTH. :)

Last edited:

Hip

alpha GPC, citicholine, sulbutiamine, ALCAR, and a failed pharmaceutical cum nootropic called Noopept.

That is a major acetylcholine boost. I have taken similar acetylcholine stacks myself though, like a stack of centrophenoxine, piracetam, choline bitartrate, alpha GPC and vitamin B5. I find this does wonders to improve my brain fog, but there is a nasty price to pay, because later in the day when I come down from this acetylcholine boost, I find I have significantly increased anhedonia, which is unpleasant, as anhedonia is a horrible state of mind. For that reason, I rarely take these supplements.

The only one that is OK for me is noopept; this gives me a bit of cognitive boost, but without the anhedonia payback.

I used to take these acetylcholine stacks even before I had ME/CFS, and never had a problem then. But I have anhedonia alongside my ME/CFS, and I find certain supplements or drugs make the anhedonia worse.

It seems that there is a connection between the acetylcholine receptor and interferon, but I am not sure whether than can help explain your episode of an apparent acetylcholine-triggered flu-like illness.

Then I crashed. Hard. It was a vomiting stomach flu unlike anything I'd experienced since I was a kid. Then I started (sorry for TMI) spewing algae-green water out the other end. Vomiting stopped after about 24 hours but the algae dump went on for several days. It was *green*. Probably bile straight from the liver. I ran a fever of about 101 for a week.

That long bout of fever followed by lasting improvements in ME/CFS sounds similar to the phenomenon Dr Chia observes with his oxymatrine treatment: when oxymatrine works for ME/CFS patients, they often go through a bout of flu-like illness and fever, and when they come out on the other side, they find their ME/CFS has much improved. That fever period may be when the immune system is eliminating viruses from the body.

I was able to clean my house for 8 solid hours, without getting bored, overwhelmed, having a screaming meltdown due to frustration, needing to lay down every five minutes, etc. It was like magic.

I have also had this happen one or two times, when I have had this exuberant mental and physical energy, and have gone crazy cleaning the house, or doing some DIY work. But I have never been able to replicate these events, even though I know exactly which supplements and drugs I took beforehand, because I always write the meds I am currently experimenting with in a daily diary.

whodathunkit

For me the most significant feature of the "choline flu" was the green watery poo. That was the weirdest thing. I'd always experienced fever during a crash. This was like my liver was purging or dumping bile on a massive scale. After getting into mario's thread I figured it had to do with some mediation of ER stress in the liver by some mechanism or other but my pea brain just can't puzzle it out.

That's to kind of bring the thread back around to the whole point, since coffee enema's main benefit is supposed to be to liver function. :)

Hip

Now folks, back to our previously scheduled program, The Enigma of Coffee Enemas! Part IX!

Doesn't the ice cream sales person come along first before the next cinema film reel is shown? There should always be ice cream breaks in these discussions.

barbc56

Doesn't the ice cream sales person come along first before the next cinema film reel is shown? There should always be ice cream breaks in these discussions.

Also the popcorn box with legs tap dancing up on the screen! I feel so old!

Couldn't find the above but this should do!

Intermission is over!

Didn't realize this was so long! Watching the first ten seconds will give you the idea!

Last edited:

Mij

Val asked a question. Which toxins are being removed? How do you know you have "toxins". I genuinely would like to know. We naturally detox via the liver and kidneys. Enemas are used occasionally for constipation, no?

barbc56

We naturally detox via the liver and kidneys
Yes and if that doesn't work, then you need to see a doctor.
Enemas are used occasionally for constipation
Yes but you have to be careful. If you use them too often you can develope gastroparrsis.
Which toxins are being removed? How do you know you have "toxins"
I have no idea. I need to look this up. However, I don't think coffee is smart enough to distinguish the good vs. bad toxins, if that's what really happens.

Undisclosed

Not really any worse than the outlandish and sweeping statements I see bandied about with regards to science. For example:

Good heavens. We're *sure* Steve Jobs could have been saved? Hmmm. Michael Landon died *only* because he was doing the Gerson protocol? Really? How can we be sure? None of us have ever even met these men, let alone be privy to their health records.

Of course, I am not making any definitive statements regarding any kind of certainties surrounding the deaths of Steve Jobs and Michael Landon. My comments are based on my own knowledge of cancer treatments, my work on cancer wards and in palliative care. Just an opinion -- maybe right, maybe wrong, but just one opinion.

I did not say Michael Landon died because he was doing the Gerson protocol. He might have lived a bit longer if he hadn't ignored conventional therapy -- who knows, I certainly don't and neither do you.

IMO those kinds of absolute statements with regards to people we really know nothing about sound a little outlandish to me. Certainly as outlandish as anything else that's been said in this thread regarding coffee enemas or "quack bullshit treatments".

I gave an opinion which is all one can do in this kind of circumstance. I am not making 'absolute statements' so stop putting words into my mouth. I think curing cancer with coffee enema's is a quack bullshit therapy and I am sure others have very different opinions which we are all entitled to.

I guess my biggest problem with the tenor of the statements being made about "quack bullshit treatments" is that they are a hairsbreadth away from calls to ban such choices because people who believe in the "quack bullshit treatments" are not quite as smart as people who don't, and thus usually (in the opinion of those who don't like the "quack bullshit treatments") need to be protected from their own bad judgement.

That is your own very wrong opinion. People are free to choose their own medical care but it is best done when informed. Your comments seemed to be rooted in your own rigid thoughts about anybody who steps up and questions alternative therapy and actually tells the truth about what they think about them. If I feel something is a quack bullshit therapy I will say so. Reject it or not, your choice. how do you think it feels for those of us who have worked in the medical profession to be faced with comments that doctors don't know what they are talking about, big Pharma is evil, everything we believe in is bullshit blah , blah, blah - we are expected to sit back and take it yet when we dare to criticize non- science, we are attacked again and painted as thinking and saying things we have never said. For me, I just think we'll that is their opinion and they are entitled to it. No point in getting upset and saying negative things about. That just causes further issues.

Please forgive me for taking that little leap of logic. But history tells us 'twas ever thus, whether the demon be alcohol, weapons, or simply "quack bullshit treatments".

That's just one of the reasons I step up. Because as someone who has improved my health far more with what are often regarded around here as "quack bullshit treatments" than I ever have with science-based protocols, I value the right to choose what I want, when I want. I actually agree that Jobs made poor choices for his state of health, but if you'll allow me a little poetic turgidity, I will defend to the death his right to make the same choices all over again, and to have the information freely available to anyone else who might so choose.

And I defend my right to make my own health choices and to have my own opinions too about treatments, yet I can't be free of being attacked for choices I make. Freedom of information is good, except apparently when the information given isn't in line with your own beliefs. I give information freely, yet get chastised for it. I choose to give it at risk of being attacked because I know some actually appreciate it.

But mainly, I step up because I have the right to choose and talk about my choices without my choices being sneered at and derided as "quack bullshit" by those who apparently *think* they're smarter than me.

Who said you aren't smart, that is a leap. Nobody is attacking you or sneering at you. All I did here was point out that coffee enema's are a quack treatment. If you want to take it personally, so be it. It's not meant to be.

I guess I just don't understand why people who don't like "quack bullshit treatments" feel compelled to come into threads like this with argumentative and condescending comments. None of us here need to be saved from our stupidity. In fact, my own stupidity over the "quack bullshit treatments" has gotten me from getting two month's worth of severe PEM from a half hour of lifting weights to being able to lift weights for an hour twice per week. On other boards devoted to "quacks" and their theories I'm seeing people who were worse off than me healing themselves with "quack bullshit". I'll take that kind of stupidity over the results I've gotten from mainstream science-based therapeutics any day of the week. YMMV.

The only person making condescending comments on this thread was a person who thinks coffee enema's cure cancer. I certainly wasn't being condescending, I asked some questions regarding coffee enemies that not one person who supports their use seems to be able to answer. I believe that Gerson was promoting a quack bullshit dangerous unproven therapy that has no scientific proof to support it. You can take that personally and keep hammering away at what you think I mean. You have put words and thoughts into my posts that I am simply not having. I don't think I should be a scapegoat for your hatred of science-based therapies. You are entitled to your own thoughts and feelings as am I. I happen to believe mainstream medicine has a lot to offer. I also believe that some alternative therapies have a lot to offer and I also believe some of it is quacky bullshit and that includes some mainstream stuff too.

Can we get back to discussing the topic of this thread.

whodathunkit

You are entitled to your own thoughts and feelings as am I. I happen to believe mainstream medicine has a lot to offer. I also believe that some alternative therapies have a lot to offer and I also believe some of it is quacky bullshit and that includes some mainstream stuff too.
So we're on the same page about most things. :thumbsup:

However, I would like to opine before I bow out completely that I am not the one going into threads that discuss this or that "science-based" study and calling it "quacky bullshit". If I see something in a "science-based" thread that I don't agree with, I just move on. I try to respect the right of others to discuss information I don't agree with, unmolested.

But you and Val and others who sling about terms like "quacky bullshit" are the ones coming into these alternative topics and disrepecting them with terms like "quacky bullshit". So since you speak of scapegoating, as you imagine I scapegoat you out of my "hatred" for science-based therapies, I hafta ask...who is really doing the scapegoating out of hatred of subject matter here? Me, who is simply stepping into an argument in defense of a topic I agree with, or you, who is coming into a topic only to disrespect it?

Last edited:

Hip

Which toxins are being removed? How do you know you have "toxins". I genuinely would like to know. We naturally detox via the liver and kidneys. Enemas are used occasionally for constipation, no?

You might want to read Dr Ritchie Shoemaker's work. In conditions such as mold illness and Lyme, Shoemaker uses the drug cholestyramine to bind to toxins (such as mycotoxins) carried in the bile in the small intestine.

Bile is one of the body's mechanisms of getting rid of toxins, but because most of the bile is re-absorbed and reused, the toxins can also be re-absorbed, so bile is not a very efficient means of disposing of toxins. Because cholestyramine binds to cholesterol, bile acids and toxins, and because cholestyramine cannot be absorbed into the body, it more efficiently removes the toxins that would normally be expelled less efficiently by the bile.

My guess is that any treatment which increases bile flow may also have the effect of increasing the efficiency of toxin removal via bile.

Some Terminology:

Any herb or medication which stimulates the production of bile in the liver is called a choleretic.

Any herb or medication which stimulates the release of bile from its storage place in the gallbladder is called a cholagogue.

A related concept is a hydrocholeretic, which is a herb or medication which increase the watery volume of bile produced in the liver, but without increasing the amount of bile acids produced (so hydrocholeretics cause the secretion of more watery bile).

Choleretic Supplements — Boost Bile Production In Liver

Taurine (500 mg × 3 times daily) markedly increased the proportion of taurine conjugated bile acids. Ref: 1
Tauroursodeoxycholic acid (TUDCA)
Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA)
Silymarin from milk thistle
Alpha lipoic acid
Glycine
Choline
Gentian
Ginger
Chamomile
Artichoke leaf
Turmeric
dandelion

Cholagogue Supplements — Boost Bile Secretion From Gallbladder

Artichoke - contains cynarin and chlorogenic acid, which stimulate the gallbladder to contract. Also increases the breakdown of cholesterol to bile salts, and enhances their elimination through increased bile production and flow. Ref: 1
Dandelion root
Menthol (from peppermint)
Limonene
Fennel
Turmeric
Rhubarb
Iris versicolor

It says here that:
The coffee enema is unique in that it actually blocks re-absorption of toxic bile across the gut wall making it not only the most effective choleretic, but also the only known, non-reabsorbed, repeatable choleretic available that can be safely repeated every four hours in extreme disease cases.
Of course this claim again appears to be unsubstantiated, but if it did turn out to be true, then coffee enemas would be a good method to promote efficient toxin expulsion.

From this study, it seems that caffeine is hydrocholeretic — ie, caffeine increases the watery volume of bile produced in the liver, without increasing the amount of bile acids in that volume.

Last edited: