• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cofactors for magnesium absorption into cells?

Violeta

I guess I didn't make it clear, but I'm not taking any b6 or p5p. I tried a smidgen back in July 2013, that was the last time. The 'neurotoxicity' is the reason I avoid it. I have read several threads on other forums lately where folks were able to get rid of the neuropathy and tolerate b6 or p5p after raising their b12 levels substantially…so will give that another try. Thanks for your replies.

Have you checked into aldehyde as a cause of neuropathy?

https://books.google.com/books?id=b...page&q=aldehyde peripheral neuropathy&f=false

dannybex

Have you checked into aldehyde as a cause of neuropathy?

Yes, that an many other factors could be involved, but it only gets markedly worse when I take b6 or p5p for 2-3 days or so, even tiny doses. That's why I think it's more related to quinolinic acid, which was high on my OAT.

Violeta

Yes, that an many other factors could be involved, but it only gets markedly worse when I take b6 or p5p for 2-3 days or so, even tiny doses. That's why I think it's more related to quinolinic acid, which was high on my OAT.

Oh, okay, you might have tried to tell me this before but I can't get up to speed on the quinolinic acid.

I see taurine helped you, is there a way that taurine would fit into that picture moreso than just relieving symptoms? I would look but I have to get ready for work.

But since so many people get neuropathy from b6, I am wondering that if you figure this out, you will be figuring it out for a lot of people!!!

dannybex

I don't know. Keep in mind that some of the posts you're quoting or reading are from years ago. I can't tolerate taurine for the last year or more...

is it possible to take taurine together with zinc or do they interfere or bind each other because of the sulfur?
has anybody any experience with combining them? since both of them work well before bedtime…

Deltrus

Hello everyone, I found that vitamin D massively increased my absorbtion of magnesium. I was getting very little from magnesium before taking vitamin D Wikipedia says:
Vitamin D refers to a group of fat-soluble secosteroids responsible for enhancing intestinal absorption of calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphate, and zinc.

I've also found that B2 is very good, as B2 is responsible for massively enhancing the function of many enzymes that use magnesium, and B2 is also used to convert B6 to P5P which is very important for absorption of magnesium.

Manganese seems very important for b2 to work, I get much better results when I take manganese with b2 and that also agrees with the B2 thread. Methyl donors, selenium, zinc, B1 etc are needed for B2 supplementation because the enzymes B2 boosts use up lots of ingredients.

B1 also seems massively important to combo with magnesium. B1 and magnesium are both used together in every cell. Taking B1 actually uses up magnesium but afterwards ATP status in cells rises and the cells have an easier time keeping magnesium in. So you will run out of magnesium in certain areas, personally I get tinnitus and nerve pain taking B1 because it uses up magnesium, but a lot of my nervous system problems heal as the magnesium is used up.

I've read that selenium is important to keep magnesium is red blood cells. Not sure if this is right, I need a study or something.

My stack to absorb magnesium is vitamin D, manganese, B1, B2, B6, selenium, taurine. I also take a multivitamin, TMG, Sam-E, DHA/EPA. B12 and folate work massively better with high magnesium. Every single metabolic pathway works better with high magnesium actually. My strategy in supplementation is to get me saturated with magnesium, then keep on taking other supplements such as b1, b2, b6, manganese etc.

Gondwanaland

@Deltrus I am finding that low Glycine might be the cause why I haven't been able to tolerate Magnesium anymore. Magnesium gives me horrible joint pain - like it wears out the cartilage in my right shoulder and hip. I haven't come around to cooking bone broth yet, but hope to try a supplement soon. I will pair it with B6 otherwise glycine gets converted to oxalates.

I'd like to add and recommend from my personal experience not to forget to take retinol and potassium as well if one takes hormone D and B1. D can seriously lower retinol because a ratio of 1:25 (D:A) IU is needed. And B1 can lower potassium. both is merely recognizable immediately and therefor quite important to know to avoid deficiencies showing of later. it's just what I experienced really bad.

@Deltrus I am finding that low Glycine might be the cause why I haven't been able to tolerate Magnesium anymore. Magnesium gives me horrible joint pain - like it wears out the cartilage in my right shoulder and hip. I haven't come around to cooking bone broth yet, but hope to try a supplement soon. I will pair it with B6 otherwise glycine gets converted to oxalates.

have you seen that?:

he talkes about calcium is needed to bind oxalates. before that I never understood why calcium deficiency may cause kidney stones.

Gondwanaland

have you seen that?:
Thanks, I will check that out!

Currently I am entertaining the hypothesis that oxalates become a problem due to a B6 shortage related to insulin resistance.

Oxalates bind to both calcium and iron, and I have noticed that I had the more severe oxalate problems while anemic.

So fixing anemia with B vits, and lately with iron as well, also of course reintroducing dairy to my diet (I only tolerated calcium supplementation for 3 days), and lowering carbohydrate consumption improves the situation.

I have been alternating the management of oxalate issues, insulin resistance and intolerance to dietary amines - all of which revolve around vit B6.

Getting the co-factors right is a complicated science...

what about this burning sensation (inflammation?) in tissue (muscles?) and finger joints after eating large amounts of white asparagus? is this because of oxalates or something else?

I heard about K and E have an antagonistic relation. does it mean K1 or K2? does one inhibit absorption of the other one in a meal? I assume most of the time E is present in higher amounts in foods than K2 unless you eat pasture raised dairy. I was never sure of that and just to be safe took my K2 apart from high E foods like nuts.

Deltrus

I'm also finding that zinc is very important, for tolerating magnesium, I just ran out today and got tinnitus, joint pain etc. I've been needing around 150 mg per day. I think it is all part of refeeding syndrome. Zinc and magnesium are involved in over 300 metabolic pathways each. That is pretty much every single metabolic pathway. If you supplement one of them heavily but not the other, then the other becomes a bottleneck pretty much everywhere in the body.

I also have a problem with right side only joint pain, tightness, nerve pain etc.

I'm really trying hard to experiment and figure out what nutrition is needed for me in what ratios. I think I'm starting to get some things right.

Also I will look into glycine, I actually have a glycine supplement lying around if I remember correctly. Also gelatin is extremely high in glycine if you need some fast xd.
Amino_Acid_Composition_in_Gelatin_chart.png

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

does it mean K1 or K2?
K1, but my dr. told me that excess K2 can convert back to K1 in the body
I was never sure of that and just to be safe took my K2 apart from high E foods like nuts.
I think this is a good measure.
Probably yes. I never tolerated MgGLY myself.
Also gelatin is extremely high in glycine if you need some fast xd.
I can't tolerate the high arginine content of gelatine.