• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CNS stimulants

I have found CNS stimulants to help, but I've never been an that high a dose, and not tried it systematically. Dr. Chia's comment was that something like ... just because I feel better on CNS Stimulants, doesn't mean I should use them to exercise.

The thing is that drugs like these wear off overnight and so you know the PEM is still there when you wake up in the morning and feel that PEM cloud floating over you. It is just a mask, not a cure.

Specifically, I responded to 10mg of Adderall.

I currently don't take it. It is better just to not be on it long term until it is the last remating resort for treatment. It is hard to get and mostly a mask of symptoms -- which is fine if I eventually run out of other options.

Diwi9

Administrator
I still have an old prescription of Adderall. On occasion when I'm doing well (symptoms are mild) and need to get some work done, half a pill (i.e. 5mg), can really boost my ability to concentrate and read/write. However, I must also keep very disciplined to not over-extend, because as you say, the PEM is still there in the morning.

If I'm actually having cognitive dysfunction or any sort of sensory issues, stimulants are a nightmare. Although, I have also developed a sensitivity to caffeine, so I could be extra sensitive to stimulants in general. For example, the comedown can be very hard, I find this especially so with Adderall (i.e. heart palpitations and cold extremities).

Dr. Chia's less scientific but more useful comment was: only about half of patients respond to stimulants at all. I'm lucky I do. Don't abuse it and run ot it or you're digging the hole deeper.