Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CMV more important than genes in shaping your immune response

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Jan 30, 2015.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/your-immune-system-is-made-not-born/

The whole article is quite interesting, too long to copy all of it

missfire, NK17, garcia and 13 others like this.
  2. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    NK17, green_monster and natasa778 like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

Interesting flag up.
    As usual I shall pick holes! They say: We measured 204 different parameters, including cell population frequencies, cytokine responses, and serum proteins, and found that 77% of these are dominated (>50% of variance) and 58% almost completely determined (>80% of variance) by non-heritable influences. In addition, some of these parameters become more variable with age, suggesting the cumulative influence of environmental exposure.

Wrong. What they have found is non-heritable differences. That can be environmental but it can also be just the random behaviour of B and T cells, as I keep going on about. Moreover, that randomness will increase with age much more reliably than environmental infection influences which tend to be over and done with (plus vaccinations) in infancy. So thus far there is not a trace of evidence for an environmental factor. OK, they do find a correlation with CMV and that is very interesting - particularly since they do not find it for EBV. Environmental influences would be very plausible and there is no evidence against, but it still amuses me that all these grand immunologists still forget to read the epidemiology textbooks.

4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

If found this excerpt from the article interesting:
    I once read that in people who harbor cytomegalovirus, each time cytomegalovirus reactivates in their body, this reactivation elicits a completely new adaptive immune response. This means that the immune system keeps going, again and again, through the process of designing an antibody to disable the virus, even though the immune system still remembers and has available the cytomegalovirus antibodies it created when the virus was first caught.

I believe the result is that as a person gets older, more and more of the immune memory is used up by cytomegalovirus, because each time this virus reactivates, the immune system creates and remembers a new cytomegalovirus antibody. And I read that this leads to an accumulation of T cells that can no longer proliferate but whose presence inhibits the proliferation of other T cells.

I understand that this does not happen to the same degree with other viruses: with other viruses, if there is viral reactivation, the immune system may just rely on the same original antibodies created when the virus was first caught.

I think this cytomegalovirus reactivation phenomenon may be connected to the statement made in the above Scientific American article about one tenth of a person’s circulating T cells being specific for cytomegalovirus.

I cannot remember where I read about this cytomegalovirus reactivation phenomenon, but I found the following paper which touches on the subject:

Immune Sensing of Latent Cytomegalovirus Reactivation and its Possible Impact on Immune Senescence | SENS Research Foundation

And this paper is about experiments to rebalance the T-cell pool:

Rebalancing the aging T-cell pool to improve resistance to infection in the old age | SENS Research Foundation

Incidentally, my list of supplements and drugs that are effective against cytomegalovirus is this:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    missfire, actup, NK17 and 7 others like this.
  5. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Can someone point to the original study or am I not seeing it in the article?

Barb

6. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Probably a stupid question but I just have to wonder.

If 10% of circulating T cells are specific for cytomegalovirus, so engaged in that task and say if someone was carrying a lot of other things which also had circulating T cells engaged for specific tasks.. maybe something else could have even a higher percent of specificity for it (something science may yet have to work out).. Could it be possible that a person could run out of available T cells for anything else which came along once say 100% were specific for certain things?

Can someone have no available free T cells left for another thing?

I carry CMV along with a toxoplasmosis (which apparently sits in ones brain, common for that to reactive in AIDS patients). I also have other things simmering away (I outbreak in some viral reactivation thing in my mouth at times when I crash).

missfire likes this.
  7. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    missfire, barbc56 and green_monster like this.
  8. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

@Bob

Thanks!:)

Barb

Bob likes this.
  9. missfire

missfire Knock Down, Bounce Back

What master list of things could one test for if they were force feed saliva with CMV in it? It has remained persistent from day one indicating a secondary immune issue. I really do not know what to beg for to determine my health status. Is there a master list of things I could ask for (testing)?

persistent cmv
    subclass 1
    T3 uptake is low
    CD 8 cells very low
    CD 4 fine
    HIV is fine, all obvious stuff
    hearing sensitivity to sound IS WAY HIGH

What is left for looking for a reason that cmv is not resolving in a healthy young person?

See more popular forum discussions.