Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cluster of acute flaccid paralysis in Colorado children

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by MeSci, Jan 30, 2015.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    Following on from the California outbreak, here is a paper on one in Colorado.

A cluster of acute flaccid paralysis and cranial nerve dysfunction temporally associated with an outbreak of enterovirus D68 in children in Colorado, USA

There is an interesting associated Physician's First Watch article

taniaaust1 and Valentijn like this.
  2. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    It's not just in Colorado. The CDC has reported this enterovirus D68 being reported from many locations of the US, with only children being infected and affected, as far as I know. Symptoms are similar to polio, which is also an enterovirus.

Wouldn't it be interesting to follow this outbreak and see how these children are affected from now on.

Valentijn likes this.
  3. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Just shows you how hard it is to detect these viruses. I think it's possible that ME is due to chronic enteroviral infection.

taniaaust1 and halcyon like this.
  4. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    My first thought, aside from how horrific this is for the children and their families, is that perhaps this will lead to discoveries that could help us, too.

Of all the things ME/CFS has made me, self-centered is the one I didn't expect. Unfortunately, this illness has forced me into extreme self-preservation which, to the untrained eye, looks a lot like selfishness. And so it goes.

taniaaust1, ahmo, AbbyDear and 4 others like this.
  5. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    Yes, SDSue , I had similar thoughts. At least the CDC is calling it an outbreak and not demonizing the patients and their physicians like they have done to us and the few researchers who take us seriously.

Woolie, SDSue, MeSci and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

My horrible thought was that due to its being an outbreak affecting children they are less likely to call it hysteria and more likely to properly investigate it.

Iquitos and SDSue like this.
  7. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

Not nice to think about indeed, but it worked for polio.

SDSue and Sidereal like this.

See more popular forum discussions.