• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clostridium Butyricum - A Game Changer?

out2lunch

Nitric oxide & constipation, yes.

I was doing great on CB for a few weeks and then it hit me out of nowhere. It felt like my entire GI tract had just stopped moving. Developed gastroparesis which lasted a few weeks. It all cleared up with small doses of brown algae but until it did it was a bloody nightmare.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

If you have an MG-like illness you might wanna try a prebiotic that massively increases acetate and see what happens. Last summer I was messing around with small doses of larch arabinogalactan for a bit (lots of discussion about it if you search the resistant starch thread) and it caused what I can only characterise as Ach poisoning. But for you, given your need to take pyridostigmine in the first place, it could be good.
Arabinogalactan is comprised of galactose and arabinose in a 6:1 ratio. I have the most difficult time with elevated arabinose, but it doesn't seem to be yeast related, as other yeast markers on the OAT urine test are normal. Thought maybe it was a pentose metabolism defect, but my G6PD test came back low normal. Doc is still scratching his head on why the arabinose is always elevated.

BTW… will taking larch arabinogalactan further complicate a pentose pathway problem, if that's what's going on? I have reservations about making my SIBO worse by consuming an obvious FODMAP sugar. But low butyrate was identified in the GI Effects test, so I need to increase my SCFA somehow. Perhaps small amounts of LAG will do the trick.

alicec

No, one dose! :eek:

I too have experienced the potency of just one tiny dose of CB, and the phenomenon of becoming more rather than less sensitive to it with time.

Some time ago I could take 2 or 3 AOR 3 per day without problem. When I tried the CB alone several months ago I started with 1 twice daily but soon realised that I was taking too much and cut back to 1 every 2-3 days. At around this time I went into something of a decline and stopped all experiments with pre and probiotics.

I am slowly emerging from the brain fog and lethargy and started experimenting again. I've had bad reactions to small doses of several prebiotics which I once tolerated and to a single dose of 1/4 CB. All adverse responses now seem to target my brain and instant brain fog descends, along with lethargy and disturbed vision and various other minor things.

I'm still digesting this - don't really know what it means.

Bdeep86

I actually think I need to go to urgent care tomorrow cause my constipation is so bad, thats how powerful these are. I'm wonder if there is a middle ground for people. Seems like you can either tolerate these or you can't. Wish my original separate thread hadn't been lumped in with this and I had known to look out for this. I think I'll start a new one tomorrow just to let people know to look out for this cause ive never had constipation anywhere near what i have right now

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
High doses of Magnesium is very helpful for constipation. It works very quickly too.

Sidereal

I too have experienced the potency of just one tiny dose of CB, and the phenomenon of becoming more rather than less sensitive to it with time.

Yes, I've experienced this too with several probiotics actually where the initial reaction took days or weeks to build up and then after attempted re-starts the same reaction hit literally within minutes.

Bdeep86

@JPV Ive been taking it by the handful, like @Sidereal said it doesn't do much for CB induced constipation. This is profound, ive never had constipation like this or for this long before

sscobalt93

Any updates? I currently have this on order. I am on prescript assist right now and it has made a world of difference with my digestion, but I want to try something else after this bottle. I feel like it's better to change things up. I also have AOR probiotic-3 but I am afraid to take it because of the E Faecials strain. I took the plunge to buy it and then the next day read how pathogenic E Faecials can be.

South

read how pathogenic E Faecials can be
If you are worried about that, google the opinions online about how pathogenic Prescript Assist can be. Not that those opinions are necessarily right, but ...

Here's one (Again, not neccessarily reality, but he makes a compelling case)
http://fixyourgut.com/hso-probiotics-part-3-prescript-assist/

I had a bad reaction to prescript assist, unless that bad reaction was a coincidence - but I hadn't changed much else in my life so I don't think it's a coincidence. I'm still trying to recover from the symptoms it seemed to cause, although they are finally lessened -- 4 weeks after stopping taking that probiotic.

sscobalt93

I am thinking about stopping the PA i am having trouble breathing. I think it may have caused it. Althought it has eliminated all my food allergies so far I'm going to stop it am wait for the CB to get in

South

@Bdeep86 How are you feeling? Any improvement in the severe constipation? I hope you are doing better and didn't have to go to emergency.

I think that type of constipation, where the only bowel movements in response to any laxative are soft/loose but much too low in volume, is called "slow motility". Whereas classic constipation is hard stools that were "motilized" down to the colon but then are hard to eliminate from there.

Slow motility affects the gut higher up, and the stool doesn't travel well down to the lower colon.

Been there! No ideas for fixing it - mine occurs in response to several odd triggers, (that I now avoid in my life), and when they occured I had to take herbal laxatives and wait for 3 or so days for the response to finally happen.

I have not experimented much with C. butyricum, so can't report on that.

Last edited:

sscobalt93

I'm thinking the trouble breathing is a sinus infection that I've had for a while. I used to have clogged sinuses with mucus that I could never clear but it seems to have reversed to my lungs. I'm taking some stuff to clear it out which seems to be helping, but if I don't improve by Saturday I'm going to urgent care and having them do a X-ray because ever doctor I've seen says my lungs sound good

sscobalt93

Thanks for posting this @adreno
My recent stool test showed low butyrate and over growth of S. Boulaardi
Also have SIBO and candida, Berberine + GSE have been suggested to start with but just thinking about this now.
high inflammation is a biggie for me too.

I'm interested in this a boulardii overgrowth...where you taking florist or at the time? If so that could so up as an 'overgrowth' on a stool test I would imagine since it's not a human strain of yeast

sscobalt93

@adreno Are you concerned about the Talc that is in the tablets? Isn't Talc cancerous? I just got my tablets today and didn't notice the ingredients until now.