• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clostridium Butyricum - A Game Changer?

out2lunch

For me, just this one.
That's bizarre. Just CB? :confused:

I wonder what it is about this flavor of Clostridium that binds up rather than loosens up, like C Diff.

Is the constipation fairly common? Anyone know?

Thanks much for the info! I'm learning so much from you folks. (Better than the brainiacs @ the Apple Genius Bar! :rofl:)

Avengers26

I strongly agree with @Sidereal
This is Defcon level 3 stuff. I was taking 1/2 tab 3x/week. But, i am taking a break for 1-2 weeks.

But, i also take this to mean this probiotic is going to be helpful in the long run. Just be patient. Be careful if you are trying to score a home run.

out2lunch

1-2 a day.
I just upped mine to 3 today. I'll back down to 2 tomorrow. Last thing I need after a diverticulitis attack earlier this month is constipation! :ill:

BTW… if I'm not mistaken, earlier posts stated that CB increases nitric oxide. Am I remembering this correctly?

If so, that's the cause of the constipation. Nitric oxide is inversely correlated to acetylcholine. Nitric oxide levels go up… acetylcholine levels go down. And lack of acetylcholine uptake at the NMJ is what drives myasthenia gravis & myasthenic syndrome, of which constipation is a hallmark symptom.

I've been taking Mestinon for eons for myasthenic symptoms, even though neurologists still claim I don't have any myasthenia related disease. But my physical symptoms sure mimic these conditions, which resolve with Mestinon use.

Doc believes an excess of nitric oxide is in play, which drives down acetylcholine, thereby necessitating the use of Mestinon. Now toss in CB to make the nitric oxide situation worse, and voila! C-O-N-S-T-I-P-A-T-I-O-N! :mad:

Sometimes, you can't win for losing. :bang-head:

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I shifted to a Bifido blend (4X Pro-B) for a few weeks. Then I tried Prescript Assist for a few days. The Prescript Assist caused a lot of gut discomfort, mostly on the first day, but I took that as a good sign. I figured it was waging war with pathogens of some sort.

I'm now back on CB and seem to be able to tolerate a higher dose. I'm up to 4-5 a day instead of just 2.

I figure that maybe mixing it up a little, with a variety of strains, is the best strategy. It's probably good to avoid most Lactobacillus strains as they seem detrimental for a lot of us that are suffering from ME/CFS.

Last edited:

Sidereal

I just upped mine to 3 today. I'll back down to 2 tomorrow. Last thing I need after a diverticulitis attack earlier this month is constipation! :ill:

BTW… if I'm not mistaken, earlier posts stated that CB increases nitric oxide. Am I remembering this correctly?

If so, that's the cause of the constipation. Nitric oxide is inversely correlated to acetylcholine. Nitric oxide levels go up… acetylcholine levels go down. And lack of acetylcholine uptake at the NMJ is what drives myasthenia gravis & myasthenic syndrome, of which constipation is a hallmark symptom.

I've been taking Mestinon for eons for myasthenic symptoms, even though neurologists still claim I don't have any myasthenia related disease. But my physical symptoms sure mimic these conditions, which resolve with Mestinon use.

Doc believes an excess of nitric oxide is in play, which drives down acetylcholine, thereby necessitating the use of Mestinon. Now toss in CB to make the nitric oxide situation worse, and voila! C-O-N-S-T-I-P-A-T-I-O-N! :mad:

Sometimes, you can't win for losing. :bang-head:

Nitric oxide & constipation, yes.

I was doing great on CB for a few weeks and then it hit me out of nowhere. It felt like my entire GI tract had just stopped moving. Developed gastroparesis which lasted a few weeks. It all cleared up with small doses of brown algae but until it did it was a bloody nightmare.

Be careful with this CB stuff. It's the most powerful gut thing I've ever taken, and I've taken A LOT of things.

If you have an MG-like illness you might wanna try a prebiotic that massively increases acetate and see what happens. Last summer I was messing around with small doses of larch arabinogalactan for a bit (lots of discussion about it if you search the resistant starch thread) and it caused what I can only characterise as Ach poisoning. But for you, given your need to take pyridostigmine in the first place, it could be good.

Bdeep86

@Sidereal it took several weeks? What did you do for this period in time cause its definitely a problem for me right now.

@out2lunch I took 1 per a day for a couple days then after I didn't notice anything I took it to two. I wasn't on it for long.

I tried starting another thread on the RS and CB and it was lumped in with RS thread which now has over 170 pages. I really think this information need to be brought to the forefront cause I feel dangerously constipated.

Bdeep86

@Sidereal OK yeah I guess i'll have to figure something out, i've never had constipation like this. Going to make a warning thread about this. Do you have an approx time that it took for things to come back? Thanks for your help.

Sidereal

@Sidereal OK yeah I guess i'll have to figure something out, i've never had constipation like this. Going to make a warning thread about this. Do you have an approx time that it took for things to come back? Thanks for your help.

I can't recall exactly. 2-3 weeks maybe.

Bdeep86

@adreno Yeah i tried mag citrate, i've been taking herbal laxative tea for a few days now. Lots of fluid not much substance. I've seen some people say use magnesium oxide.

@Sidereal thanks for your info, I was getting something positive I believe, I will restart once things get moving again, will have to start on an extremely low dose.

Sidereal

@adreno Yeah i tried mag citrate, i've been taking herbal laxative tea for a few days now. Lots of fluid not much substance. I've seen some people say use magnesium oxide.

@Sidereal thanks for your info, I was getting something positive I believe, I will restart once things get moving again, will have to start on an extremely low dose.

I experienced several important benefits from CB so I wish I could take it again but I tried restarting it several times and unfortunately the gastroparesis comes back at even a quarter of a tablet.