• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clostridium Butyricum - A Game Changer?

Bansaw

I read about 8 pages of this thread and I did order Miyarisan to try.
I posted another thread a couple of days ago about eating kefir grains. I am culturing water kefir grains with a view to eating them (and discarding the liquid). The water kefir grains should give me a probiotic punch but I am concerned that they might just pass right through me and not colonise.

Anyway, I'll see how I fare with this Miyrasian. I am convinced my issues are gut related. I am not absorbing. I spent a few years in Africa and got a bactereial infection for which I took every antibiotic under the sun. It got the bad bacteria out, but also did not discriminate against the good. :s

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I read about 8 pages of this thread and I did order Miyarisan to try.
I posted another thread a couple of days ago about eating kefir grains. I am culturing water kefir grains with a view to eating them (and discarding the liquid). The water kefir grains should give me a probiotic punch but I am concerned that they might just pass right through me and not colonise.

Anyway, I'll see how I fare with this Miyrasian. I am convinced my issues are gut related. I am not absorbing. I spent a few years in Africa and got a bactereial infection for which I took every antibiotic under the sun. It got the bad bacteria out, but also did not discriminate against the good. :s

I think a lot of stuff passes right through and doesn't colonise but does a lot of good on its tour through your gut. This is why people continue to take probiotics rather than expecting to colonise (I think).

Bansaw

This is why people continue to take probiotics rather than expecting to colonise (I think).
Right, in the 24hrs or so while its in your body, the kefir grain could be helping to digest the food you take it with.
Although they say that kefir (unlike say, Yogurt) actually colonizes the gut.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Right, in the 24hrs or so while its in your body, the kefir grain could be helping to digest the food you take it with.
Although they say that kefir (unlike say, Yogurt) actually colonizes the gut.

I don't know about kefir specifically. My impression is that people wanting to colonise their gut with something don't just take one massive dose of it, though.

I think we're getting a bit of C. Butyricum, though - maybe this is a conversation for another thread.

anne_likes_red

Just want to mention I'm tolerating molybdenum much better since starting Miyarisan.
1000 mcg molyb capsules (Thorne) are not causing me nausea as they did before. :D

(I think I ought to restore my avatar...every time I see it I think it looks a bit rude. My kids like it, but still...)

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
My Miyarisan has arrived, well ahead of schedule.

By chance I'm having some cold potatoes for dinner tonight but I don't generally eat a lot of starch far less resistant starch.

My diet is quite low in carbs at the moment. I don't often have bread, potatoes, rice, pasta or bananas in the house but happily eat root veg such as carrots, beetroots and celeriac without worrying about the carb content. I also have pulses from time to time. If anything, I was planning to be more restrictive in future by cutting back on the high carb foods when not eating in because I have some weight to get rid of. Is CB going to be happy on carrots and the like or is does that constitute a starvation diet? Will an oatcake or two feed the little blighters?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
My Miyarisan has arrived, well ahead of schedule.

Some kind of dog has got into your house, Scarecrow!

Is CB going to be happy on carrots and the like or is does that constitute a starvation diet? Will an oatcake or two feed the little blighters?

In 'The Good Gut', which I've just read, the authors go on a lot about 'MACs' - microbiota accessible carbohydrates, which seem to be complex carbs - they say the MACs in their own diet are brown rice or cooked whole barley, beans, roasted vegetables, and fruit and/or dark chocolate for dessert.

I don't know (I would also like to know!) what CB like, specifically - I'm not sure if there's enough for them to go on just in carrots and whatnot.

I just got my economy-mail Miyarisan today - I've now got a total of 1260 tabs, and at 1/2 tab/day, that's me set up for about three years.

adreno

PR activist
Cure Autoimmunity by Feeding Clostridium Resistant Starch

Autoimmune diseases, by their symptoms, show that sufficient gut flora to stimulate the aggressive half of the immune system is still present. What is missing are the Clostridium species that convert soluble fiber, such as resistant starch, into short chain fatty acids, e.g. butyrate. Patients treated with antibiotics usually walk away from the hospital with a suggestion to eat some yogurt to repopulate their missing gut flora. Unfortunately, dairy probiotics don’t survive in the gut and cannot repair the gut flora and immune system. The result, after the gut fails to repair and the immune system crashes, is autoimmunity. There is a more appropriate possibility to avoid or fix autoimmunity. Some people suffering from autoimmunity (and with remnants of their gut flora intact) have simply fed their gut flora on resistant starch and achieved complete recoveries. Others fail to respond, because their gut flora is too severely damaged and necessary bacterial species are gone. Those individuals need to eat the missing species of bacteria and some probiotics (more common in Asia) contain Clostridium species. Consistent with this use of soluble fiber to feed gut bacteria that produce butyrate and stimulate the suppressive immune system are reports of healing by combining potato starch (RS) and probiotics with Clostridium butyricum (Probiotic-3). Repair of the suppressive immune system by repair of gut flora (including fecal transplants) and feeding gut flora with appropriate soluble fiber, may be a general approach to the cure of most autoimmune diseases and allergies.
http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.se/2014/03/health-diagrams-ii-curing-autoimmunity.html

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Some kind of dog has got into your house, Scarecrow!
Some kind of celebratory dancing dog! (My folks used to have seven beagles at one time but now have a far more manageable two.)
In 'The Good Gut', which I've just read, the authors go on a lot about 'MACs' - microbiota accessible carbohydrates, which seem to be complex carbs - they say the MACs in their own diet are brown rice or cooked whole barley, beans, roasted vegetables, and fruit and/or dark chocolate for dessert.
Well, that all sounds mostly doable if I don't go overboard on the cereals and the fruit.
I just got my economy-mail Miyarisan today - I've now got a total of 1260 tabs, and at 1/2 tab/day, that's me set up for about three years.
The best before date on my bottle is 2019. Hope you've landed similarly lucky!

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
What is missing are the Clostridium species that convert soluble fiber, such as resistant starch, into short chain fatty acids, e.g. butyrate.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/insoluble-soluble-fiber
Sources of soluble fiber: oatmeal, oat cereal, lentils, apples, oranges, pears, oat bran, strawberries, nuts, flaxseeds, beans, dried peas, blueberries, psyllium, cucumbers, celery, and carrots.

Sources of insoluble fiber: whole wheat, whole grains, wheat bran, corn bran, seeds, nuts, barley, couscous, brown rice, bulgur, zucchini, celery, broccoli, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, dark leafy vegetables, raisins, grapes, fruit, and root vegetable skins.