• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clostridia over-growth, what to do?

Peyt

Hi,

My Clostridia Spp. on my Genova Diagnostics tests shows extremely high,
From what I understand, Clostridia Spp. over-growth can cause a wide scope of problems including Thiamine deficiency which I have been dealing with for a while... So I am curious, does anyone have any information about how to effectively treat Clostridia over-growth?
Thanks so much,
Peyt

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi,

My Clostridia Spp. on my Genova Diagnostics tests shows extremely high,
From what I understand, Clostridia Spp. over-growth can cause a wide scope of problems including Thiamine deficiency which I have been dealing with for a while... So I am curious, does anyone have any information about how to effectively treat Clostridia over-growth?
Thanks so much,
Peyt

Have you tried probiotics? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4769010/

I found that kefir was very effective in treating chronic diarrhea, although I don't think it was due to clostridia overgrowth. But I had tried several different probiotics and it was the kefir which did the trick.

Wonkmonk

I am at the moment doing IV antibiotics and to prevent c. difficile overgrowth, a take a probiotics supplement.

I take a supplement from Pureencapsulations, similar to this one (the product seems to be slightly different in Germany in terms of bacterial composition):

http://www.pureencapsulations.com/p...s-prebiotics/pureprobiotic-allergen-free.html

I checked if there are really live bacteria inside. There are, after putting a capsule into milk, it went sour in a couple of hours.

The company is pretty expensive, though. You can probably find a similar product for less money. But in Germany they have a reputation for having high-quality supplements.

pattismith

spp means all bacteria from the Clostridia genus.

Some are good, and some are bad (like Clostridium Perfringens, or Clostridium Difficile).

High Protein intake may increase bad clostridia growth.

Peyt

I am at the moment doing IV antibiotics and to prevent c. difficile overgrowth, a take a probiotics supplement.

I take a supplement from Pureencapsulations, similar to this one (the product seems to be slightly different in Germany in terms of bacterial composition):

http://www.pureencapsulations.com/p...s-prebiotics/pureprobiotic-allergen-free.html

I checked if there are really live bacteria inside. There are, after putting a capsule into milk, it went sour in a couple of hours.

The company is pretty expensive, though. You can probably find a similar product for less money. But in Germany they have a reputation for having high-quality supplements.
Hi Wonkmonk,
Are you still doing the IV and taking the supplement from Pure Encapsulation for prevention of C. Diff?
Did you test yourself since the last post to see if the C. Diff problem is gone?
Please give us an update. thanks