1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Clock-Dependent NAD+ Synthesis Controls Mitochondrial Metabolism

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by anne_likes_red, Sep 19, 2013.

1. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

This article is reporting on a mouse study: Clock-Dependent NAD+ Synthesis Controls Mitochondrial Metabolism.
    ...Possibly interesting to those interested in a circadian tie-in to mitochondria, or anyone researching the SIRT pathways. :)

nandixon and alex3619 like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    NAD has been discussed a fair bit on these forums.
    anne_likes_red likes this.
  3. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    "Mitochondria regulate the supply of energy to cells when we are at rest, with no glucose available from food."

I don't get it. Wouldn't there be glucose available if one has sufficient stores of glycogen?
  4. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

Heh yes but presumably they're talking about "fasting" (overnight for example) when it is available from glycogen - as opposed to directly after a meal.
    Fasting stimulates the sirtuin pathways (same as exercise, cold exposure and some other things like resveratrol....certain wavelengths of light too I think).
    No doubt the actual study will be worded more precisely than that article! :)
    dannybex likes this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

The point of the article is that without proper activation the mitochondria go into power saving mode, I think. Its not about glucose being available, its about the furnace being shut down.

See more popular forum discussions.