1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Things of Beauty? Joy Forever -- Even with ME/CFS
I spent every day for years propped up on pillows on my bed. I could see out my window to the left. My messy closet was to the right. Looking straight ahead I saw a television, a messy desk and a dresser.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Clock-Dependent NAD+ Synthesis Controls Mitochondrial Metabolism

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by anne_likes_red, Sep 19, 2013.

1. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

This article is reporting on a mouse study: Clock-Dependent NAD+ Synthesis Controls Mitochondrial Metabolism.
    ...Possibly interesting to those interested in a circadian tie-in to mitochondria, or anyone researching the SIRT pathways. :)

nandixon and alex3619 like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    NAD has been discussed a fair bit on these forums.
    anne_likes_red likes this.
  3. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    "Mitochondria regulate the supply of energy to cells when we are at rest, with no glucose available from food."

I don't get it. Wouldn't there be glucose available if one has sufficient stores of glycogen?
  4. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

Heh yes but presumably they're talking about "fasting" (overnight for example) when it is available from glycogen - as opposed to directly after a meal.
    Fasting stimulates the sirtuin pathways (same as exercise, cold exposure and some other things like resveratrol....certain wavelengths of light too I think).
    No doubt the actual study will be worded more precisely than that article! :)
    dannybex likes this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

The point of the article is that without proper activation the mitochondria go into power saving mode, I think. Its not about glucose being available, its about the furnace being shut down.

See more popular forum discussions.