The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Clinical trials from the patient perspective: Survey in an Online Patient community Feb 27 2017

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by *GG*, May 25, 2017.

1. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Conclusions
    Most patients are willing to enroll yet very few are invited. When they do, trial participation is often burdensome, but patients are willing to help improve their design. Researchers should let patients help design better trials to overcome recruitment and retention issues and hasten the development of new medicines.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5327530/

GG

MastBCrazy and Luther Blissett like this.
  2. denmarkk

denmarkk

Maryland, USA
    That's why I didn't join the current post-infectious ME/CFS study at the NIH, even though I qualify and live 45 minutes away. The number of tests in such a short time frame scared me away. I was worried about the short and long term repercussions on my illness by being taxed in such a grueling way.

Luther Blissett and Valentijn like this.
  3. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

Meaning of course, fun biases towards those with carers (availability of help may correlate in both ways with severity and disease course), as well as lack of severe patients, and probably dropouts of those who are currently in PEM, as well as no severe patients.
    Sigh.
    This stuff is hard to study in a sane way, especially when you're unable to (for example) turn up in someones lounge to do tests.

denmarkk and Luther Blissett like this.

See more popular forum discussions.