1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
First Direct Evidence of Neuroinflammation - 'Encephalitis' - in ME/CFS
A small study with just nine patients has captured the attention of patients and researchers alike after reporting direct evidence of inflammation in the brain of ME/CFS patients. The finding was one of the highlights picked out by Professor Anthony Komaroff in his IACFS/ME...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Clinical trial: Rituximab for fatigue in autoimmune PBC

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Jan 29, 2014.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    This links nicely to
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...une-pbc-caused-by-human-betaretrovirus.27887/

but I thought it deserved a thread of its own :)

Rituximab for the treatment of fatigue in primary biliary cirrhosis

MRC funded

NK17, Tito, Bob and 2 others like this.
  2. Christopher

Christopher Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    Anything but antiretrovirals, right? :rolleyes: The tide is already turning.
    Antares in NYC likes this.
  3. Antares in NYC

Antares in NYC Senior Member

USA
    Too expensive, you know. Not convenient.
    I'm surprised they are not asking PBC patients to do jumping jacks to get over their fatigue (Wessely school of thought).
  4. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    @natasa778 Good find. Either I wasn't aware of it or have forgotten. I see the RCT finished at the end of last year (2013). Also, that in PBC they appear to have established cause:

I thought that one of the recent grants for ME research from the MRC was in connection with Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBC), and that they were trying to establish if similar mechanisms were present in ME that might account primarily for the fatigue, but I may be confused with the work that is looking at Sjorgen's Disease in this respect. I think Dr Newton is something of an expert on PBC - she certainly makes comparisons between PBC and ME in her presentations.

I'd have to do some digging and don't have time today - but if they can establish in the above that treatment with Rituximab for PBC does address the fatigue, and can then establish similar mechanisms at play in ME, it would further improve the chances of this becoming a treatment. But to what extent the treatment would be available to all I wouldn't like to speculate - even in PBC - as we still need to overcome to relative expensive. Perhaps for the most severely affected?

@Jonathan Edwards were you and the team at UCL aware of this RCT? Thanks.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    Bob and Antares in NYC like this.
  5. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Which protein?
    Firestormm likes this.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Wikipedia mentions that PBC includes autoantibodies against pyruvate dehydrogenase complex (PDHA1, PDHA2, PDHB, DLAT, DLD), nucleoporin glycoprotein-210 (NUP210), and nucleoporin p62 (NUP62).
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    natasa778 likes this.
  7. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Untill more details are revealed I will assume they mean the complex.
    Valentijn likes this.
  8. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    That's pretty much what I thought.

This also reminded me of a recent paper that found an association between SNPs in the TRAF1-C5 gene and the impact of 'sickness behavioir' (fatigue, mood etc) on quality of life in PBC patients. TRAF1-C5 is one of a family of receptors for the pro-inflammatory cytokine TNF-a.

How this relates to the autoantibodies discussed above, if at all, I don't know but if autoimmune diseases are essentially inflammatory then specific variants of TNF-a genes may make certain individuals more susceptible to 'sickness behaviour' ?

The paper also briefly discusses parallels with CFS :

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jir/2013/510547/
    Firestormm likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.