Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Clinical trial looking at manganese inhibiting drugs at Stanford

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by justy, Aug 17, 2015.

1. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Interesting study, @justy. Thank you for posting.

The idiosyncratic way that spirochetes deal with both iron and manganese does seem to suggest dealing with either peculiarity may be a good angle to approach treatment.

What a curious assortment of scientists that declare themselves part of Bay Area Lyme. Aucott and Branda...Embers and Eshoo - it's a wonder that the universe doesn't collapse into itself, what with their conflicted views & alliances.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall if ever they all are in the same room at the same time - which I would have to imagine would be via Skype, since they are spread across the expanse of the US.

Valentijn, justy and sarah darwins like this.
  3. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    @duncan - i'm not familiar with those particular docs, but I did notice Dr Kogelnik is involved, which intrigues me as most M.E researchers seem to deny that Lyme is involved in M.E....wonder if he sees an overlap or keeps it separate?

I have iron and manganese deficiencies - have decided not to supplement manganese, but hitting the iron right now.

duncan likes this.
  4. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Kogelnik is involved? I did not see that. Via the Stanford connection, I am assuming.

I'm sorry, I cannot see where it says that, and I am sure it is right in front of me.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  5. RL_sparky

RL_sparky Senior Member

California
    Update as of August 13, 2015
    The Lyme Clinical trial is currently in review at Stanford University with Principal Investigators: Dr. Safwan Jaradeh (Stanford – Dept of Neurology) and Dr. Andreas Kogelnik (Open Medicine Institute) as well as Dr. Jay Rajadas (Stanford – BioADD Laboratory) around whose work the trial was based.

http://www.bayarealyme.org/our-research/treatments/clinical-trial/

justy, sarah darwins and duncan like this.
  6. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Oh, very cool! I'd love to talk to Kogelnik about his and OMI's involvement!

justy and sarah darwins like this.
  7. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois Prairie ❀❤✿Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ✿❤❀

Midwest, USA
    Christine (Dog Person) said the manganese was needed by the endoplasmic reticulum where iron is processed. I am not sure you will be able to utilize the iron if you are manganese deficient. [But then I am not sure you won't be able to either. I am not knowable on the subject.]

8. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    yes I remember that well and I know manganese is important for iron absorption. Problem is I have Lyme and Lyme feeds on Manganese, rather than iron. But thanks for reminding me!

See more popular forum discussions.