International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Clinical Trial: IV Albumin for Severe POTS

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by Ema, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    http://ichgcp.net/clinical-trials-registry/NCT03365414

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2018
    anni66, Chelby, sb4 and 1 other person like this.
  2. perrier

perrier Senior Member

Ema likes this.
  3. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    What side effects did they mention?

4. perrier

perrier Senior Member

Dear Ema
    I don't recall, I'm so sorry, but when we looked at them, we thought perhaps this treatment would not be tried.

This took place last summer.

Ema likes this.
  5. bombsh3ll

bombsh3ll Senior Member

Thanks so much for sharing this Ema, I will definitely be following this trial! I would love to try albumin but am sure I would need to provide evidence for its use in order to obtain it.

Ema likes this.
  6. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I wonder if that small subset who respond to albumin have echovirus as the cause of their POTS symptoms: albumin has antiviral effects against echovirus.

Peyt and Ema like this.
  7. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

This is very intesrting.
    Any idea what type of doctor one needs to go see to be checked for echovirus? I am thinking meningitis to be specific?

8. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Echovirus is an ME/CFS-associated virus, so some of the ME/CFS doctors will test for it. Dr Chia is the expert in such enterovirus-linked ME/CFS.

Peyt likes this.
  9. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Thanks for this info.
    I did a quick search on Dr. Chia and apparently before taking on any new patients he wants the patient to be diagnosed with CFS with another Doctor and get some blood tests done that shows if there are any viruses that he looks for.

So my question is: Any idea which viruses he would most likely want the patient to be tested for so I can ask my doctor to run those blood test to see if I even have those viruses ?
    Thanks again.

10. Hip

Hip Senior Member

That info is all detailed in the coxsackievirus B / echovirus section of my roadmap of chronic fatigue syndrome treatment.

Peyt likes this.
  11. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

From what I read, Albumin is responsible to maintain the oncotic pressure in the blood vessels. This is the pressure that assures that blood will flow in the body in equal amount everywhere in the body. I could see how this would help some POTS patients.

bombsh3ll likes this.
  12. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Does anyone know if there are any viruses that if contracted could effect the oncotic pressure in the blood vessels?

Ema likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.