Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Clenching mouth while sleeping

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Johnskip, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Johnskip

Johnskip Senior Member

always feel my mouth clinching tight when sleeping I don't think I'm grinding though weird

2. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Have you been to the dentist? They should be able to tell you if you grind your teeth. I have mouth guards because I would grind in my sleep. Have TMJ as well :(

GG

3. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    I think this is called bruxism. As @*GG* said, you should be able to get a mouth guard to protect your teeth as chronic bruxism can cause damage. A dentist will be able to help you out.

Sandman00747 likes this.
  4. Sandman00747

Sandman00747 Senior Member

United States, Kansas
    Yep, I do it and now need 2 or 3 teeth crowned from the grinding. Get a mouthguard @Johnskip . It's well worth the money!

5. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

I agree with the above comments, @Johnskip. Get thee to a dentist and see about a nightguard. Untreated bruxism can wreck your dental health and cost thousands of dollars.

6. PNR2008

PNR2008 Senior Member

OH USA
    My dentist informed me of my TMJ. It's the little things that can blow you away sometimes even though it's not so little. I'm on moist heat and anti-inflammatory, soft food diet and sleeping on my back. It seems I have little or no cartilage in the jaw bone. Great, another damn syndrome.

7. lcnewross

lcnewross

Austin, TX
    I definitely recommend a night guard! I have worn one religiously for half of my life (30 now). It does not prevent tension headaches but it does save your teeth! Keep track of your gums, too. I have had three gum grafts because the clenching/grinding resulted in receding gum lines. Dentist used to chastise me because he thought I was brushing too hard. Current dentist says receding gums a consequence of bruxism.

I am new to the forum, btw!

8. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    I've got receding gums even though I wear a nightguard. My "earaches" are pretty much gone tho.

9. South

South Senior Member

Southeastern United States
    I bought these over the counter (avail at most US drugstores, and on Amazon); work very well and very comfortable, and no huge fee for "custom made" by dentist.

I Wish I would have known about these years ago:
    Plackers "Grind no more" mouth guards

They come in a package of 14 of them stating "disposable" but instead of disposing of them, you can wash with castile soap, and with disinfecting mouthwash, to reuse them over and over.
    (the same way you would wash the expensive type made by dentists, those expensive ones are made of plastic just like these reasonably priced ones are)

There are other brands too, but this one has a unique shape that I thought, from the photos, would fit anyone's mouth (and isn't bulky), and so I took a chance and bought them. They do the job for me and they are nicely comfortable for sleep in my mouth.

10. Mello

Mello

Johnskip likes this.
  11. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

Untreated bruxism can also lead to infections, which require root canals or tooth extraction.

One possible cause of bruxism is a poor bite. I have had my bite adjusted a couple of times by the dentist, and it did help.

Johnskip likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.