1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Clements Sharpe Hawton 1996 CFS: A QUALITATIVE INVESTIGATION OF PATIENTS' BELIEFS ABOUT THE ILLNESS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Esther12, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Nothing important.

Was just reading this old paper, and thought that I'd pull out some quotes in case anyone is interested.

Emphasising control and reversibility, in the absence of evidence of control and reversibility for a patient's condition, is a bit repulsive.

Valentijn likes this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    The authors seem to be unaware of the difference between a complex set of bio-psycho-social events that may increase risk of developing a disease and maintenance of that disease. Suggesting that stress may have led to suppression of the immune system and perhaps increased severity of a viral illness is quite plausible. However, suggesting that stress is a primary maintaining factor is likely a mistake, when biological measures of psychological stress do not support this assertion.

Ironically, the study they cite (Lloyd/Hickie) that apparently disproves immunological effects didn't actually measure many immunological parameters and also states that CBT was ineffective for the patients in that study!

GhostGum and Valentijn like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks for the additional details SL, I thought the spin was amusing already.

Also 'stress' is a tricky one to define. Having a virus can be seen as a stress. Being depressed, having a genetic disorder, getting shot... any bad thing can be described as a stress, and it's not surprising that when people have 'bad things' this tends to be unhelpful for their health. Given that CFS is defined with somewhat arbitrary cut-offs and subjective measures, saying that 'stress' is a risk factor for CFS is almost a truism - but this provides us with very little information about the nature and cause of people's disability. I would have thought that, even if only to a minor degree, 'stress' would be a risk factor for all subjectively defined conditions.

GhostGum and Snow Leopard like this.
  4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    "Beliefs" about illness - who are they trying to convince it's just all in mind still - as to stress it, well apart from the worry in meeting the blank faces of docs when tests reveal pathologies (high intense spots in the MRI brain scan) etc. and passings out who could blame us.

They should try it - unable to stand, think, heart racings, passings out, locked in, bowels just part of GI problems, polio symptoms, appearance of chicken pox - "beliefs" is utter nonesense. Even my Consultant Neurologist viewing all still sits on all his test abnormalities findings ready to release when Myalgic Encephalomyelits is better understood (viral he thought).

See more popular forum discussions.