• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Clearing up the CBT confusion" [in the CFS field] - letter by Ellen Goudsmit, PhD

Tom Kindlon

I thought this letter (appeared in the CAA's magazine) is good for describing relatively succinctly the (main) CBT model for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, the form of CBT that is seen as evidence based in the medical literature.

http://www.cfids.org/archives/1999/1999-3-rf.asp

I was clearing up some files and re-read it, thought it was still useful and so decided to post it somewhere. I sometimes see CBT for CFS described as a "coping strategy". However, the model is relatively specific and I don't believe a coping strategy is a good description*

*saying that, I realise that a course of CBT can cover a variety of topics and some might help people cope. However, the core aspect of the British model of CBT for CFS is about graded activity and the like.