• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clearing out sulfates (Yasko) vs taking more 5-MTHF (Freddd)

bigmillz

Hi everyone,

After a bout of food sensitivity testing over the past couple months, I've gotten back to work on methylation related things. I didn't see 100% of the results I was hoping for in food sensitivities, but lo and behold, after eliminating sulfates from my diet once again, within a few days I started to feel like a brand new man. My daily athletic logs reflect this too.

Regardless of everything I've learned that contradicts commonly published CBS and BHMT mutation hypotheses, the difference of eliminating sulfates is beyond night and day for me.

Naturally I then jumped the gun a little, introducing a B complex shortly after starting to feel better. Per Freddd's guide, I also ramped up my 5-MTHF quickly. And then started to feel like crap again, slowly. I'll also mention that I didn't show signs of potassium deficiency, so I didn't supplement it.

Maybe I should try the low sulfate thing for a little longer before throwing in B vitamins, per Yasko. But (if I understand correctly), per Freddd, I should try to correct this return to feeling like crap with more 5-MTHF. Or should I continue to do what feels right, cut the sulfates, and revisit Freddd's protocol at a later date? I've read both guides extensively at this point, and am quite stuck at a fork in the road.

Thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

ahmo

I did both simultaneously. I had to quit sulfates before I approached FP. I still avoid sulfates, it's not something that was rectified by getting the methylation pathway corrections. At a couple points I experienced the full-on effects of the sulfur in B vitamins, overwhelming myself w/ too much B2 and B6 on a couple occasions. I used a variety of things to deal w/ sulfur/ammonia, relying on footbaths to deliver the aminos over a long period. This thread was very helpful for me. Good luck.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/new-inexpensive-cbs-ammonia-fix.31835/

bigmillz

I did both simultaneously. I had to quit sulfates before I approached FP. I still avoid sulfates, it's not something that was rectified by getting the methylation pathway corrections. At a couple points I experienced the full-on effects of the sulfur in B vitamins, overwhelming myself w/ too much B2 and B6 on a couple occasions. I used a variety of things to deal w/ sulfur/ammonia, relying on footbaths to deliver the aminos over a long period. This thread was very helpful for me. Good luck.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/new-inexpensive-cbs-ammonia-fix.31835/

Thanks @ahmo this is super helpful, and good news to me! Sounds like I may have done the same, and jumped the gun.

When you went in with the B2 and B6 too quickly, were the effects similar to before you cleared out your sulfate "pools?" Roughly how long did it take to resolve?