Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Clear need for B2, but not tolerating it. How to get out of the maze?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by picante, May 14, 2015.

1. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    Yes, it's another thread on riboflavin! I've found some information that's new to me.

A concise list of B2 functions from this site:
    From the main reference book cited for the list above, Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism:

Violeta, Gondwanaland and merylg like this.
  2. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    @picante Have you tried Coenzymated, sublingual B2 from Source Naturals? I had to switch to this.

Sushi

3. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    The B12 oils guy (Greg in Australia) has been telling me that I'll have problems getting my methylation cycle rebooted without B2, and I think he's right. But I've had terrible responses to the two supplements I've tried so far (Source Naturals FMN and Seeking Health B-minus, which is a B-complex). I'm now moving on to R-5'-P and will report back.

Two possibilities I'm investigating:
    1. I've been on T3 (thyroid) for several years. Is T4 needed to convert FMN to FAD?
    2. Low phosphorus or sodium/phosphorus imbalance:
    Questions:
    Does anyone here do poorly on some forms of B2, but benefit from other forms?
    If you're hypothyroid: Do you tolerate B2 supps? Do you benefit from them?
    Can anyone recommend a lab test to evaluate FMN-to-FAD conversion?

4. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    Sorry, Sushi, we cross-posted. That's the first one I tried. So what did you switch from?

5. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Ordinary riboflavin tabs.

picante likes this.
  6. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
    I take Nature's Own Vit B2. No additives.

I can't tolerate multi B s. have tried a few brands. Prefer now to take the ones I want to take individually.

AndyPandy and picante like this.
  7. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    I have evidence and/or signs of trouble in most of the processes listed in the first post:
    • My aldosterone is low and I'm hypothyroid (autoimmune plus impaired T4-T3 conversion).
    • My ND uncovered a problem with purine metabolism ages ago.
    • I've had high acetaldehyde (from candida) on a lab test.
    • I have a high need for methylfolate supps.
    • Don't know about niacin. I tried taking a tiny bit, and it gave me intolerable flushing (histamines?).
    • I took choline and got extreme brain exhaustion.
    • Don't know about dopamine, but I sure get grumpy when I'm thiamine-deficient.
    • I think methylation supps have worsened my glutathione status, although I don't understand the mechanism. I started on reduced glutathione lotion a month ago, and I suddenly gained energy and appetite. It's helping a lot.

merylg likes this.
  8. mgk

mgk Senior Member

May need to watch out for zinc and magnesium as well. Zn or Mg (either works) is a cofactor for Riboflavin Kinase which converts riboflavin to FMN. Mg is a cofactor for FAD Synthase which converts FMN to FAD.

Personal anecdote: Both B2 and B12 seem to increase my need for Mg significantly. When I take them together it increases more than either alone. I haven't been taking B2 for long so I'm still trying to find the right amount. I think I'm going to lower either the B2 or B12 a little to reduce demand on Mg since it's one of the more difficult nutrients to absorb and I'm already taking a lot.

picante likes this.
  9. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    Great tip, thanks! I'll try increasing Mg. I seem to need a lot of zinc already, even without the B2.

BBQGirl likes this.
  10. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    As I noted in another thread, I had quite negative results to B2, and now, quite + results w/ FMN. I'm on T3 thyroid replacement, supplement w/ zinc and mg daily, as well as the other minerals. I'll compose a post re my recent FMN experience over the next days.

picante likes this.
  11. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    Thanks, @ahmo, I look forward to it. As I recall from our recent discussion, your B-comp has R-5'-P in it.

12. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    I'm re-reading the B2 I love you thread and found this:
    I probably have some of the same liver & heavy metal troubles as the person she was addressing. And I'm wondering whether @mgk's suggestion of Mg and Zn support will help with this.

(Note I'm combining input from Dog Person and Tiger Person. And as for ahmo, she's got a whole menagerie -- from the southern hemisphere, right, @ahmo? You guys make me smile.)

helen1 and Gondwanaland like this.
  13. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

My Australian tea party friends?:D

Yes, my B comp has 25mg r5p, my FMN sublingual has 18mg. And my broken-record response for all things liver: Coffee Enema.:whistle:

AndyPandy and Gondwanaland like this.
  14. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    Ah, yes, if I click on it, it's big enough to see they're having tea. That's even better than a mad tea party (I had one of those for my 50th birthday.)
    That's the sublingual I was taking (1/8 tab at a time). And I need to get rid of all the sugar alcohols now.

ahmo likes this.
  15. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Perhaps you need a gut shift... What probx do you take?

16. Alexander_B

Alexander_B

Have you tried the liposomal b-complex? It may work better for you...

Also, for magnesium, I had great results with using magnesium oil and applying on the skin topically and I think that's something everyone should try as the results can be literally mind-blowing

17. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

my FMN remarks turned into an essay, so I put it into a blog, here:balloons:

topghetto and picante like this.
  18. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    Most recently, I've taken DaVinci Mega Probiotic-ND
    Before that, Enzymatic Therapy Acidophilus Pearls

Before that, I don't remember -- any number of things that seem to have made no difference at all.

I've run out of the DaVinci now, which might be just as well, since it has FOS, which apparently can exacerbate SIBO. I'm lost when it comes to probiotics.

19. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    I've used that, too. And since I have the Mg bath flakes on hand, I took my empty Mg oil bottle and filled it over half full with the flakes and added water. I'd say I sprayed too much of it on my feet 2 nights ago, because I had diarrhea X 5 in the morning, LOL!

20. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    I'm dubious about B-complexes. They're likely to aggravate a B-2 deficiency (or trigger it):

That was certainly what my experience seemed to indicate.

See more popular forum discussions.