Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CJ: NIH Pledges Long Term Effort on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS): Promises to “Stay the Course”

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Find out more in
    http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/2016/03/10/nih-long-term-effort-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

L'engle, Sean, Woolie and 7 others like this.
  2. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Not much on Walitt, though, only him denying everything he ever said:

L'engle and Valentijn like this.
  3. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

I have to admit "long-term" is less reassuring to me than it might be. We are already at year 31 of NIH and CDC involvement. Putting useful results off into extra innings while research proceeds blindly has already happened in the case of the Bibb County and Wichita data sets. Wasting research funds on such efforts was a tactic which followed years in which money earmarked for CFS research was simply appropriated for more urgent worthy uses. This culminated in a CDC admission to Congress that one million dollars intended for CFS had simply vanished in unnamed directions. The individuals testifying suffered embarrassment, but nothing more. After all, what is a million dollars to Congressmen or bureaucrats?

Karena, ukxmrv, jimells and 4 others like this.
  4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

It was even worse than that. According to an audit by HHS, over four years the CDC had misspent $8.8 - $12.9 million dollars allocated to CFS.

This is from the GAO's own report from 2000:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    Karena, ukxmrv, L'engle and 3 others like this.
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    I'd like to see the word "rapidly build research capacity" and "level of research funding commensurate with the high level of disease burden".

Karena, halcyon, mango and 7 others like this.
  6. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    NIH is definitely concerned about its image. Are they equally concerned for the welfare of patients?

Karena, *GG*, L'engle and 1 other person like this.
  7. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Good question! Love the "signature" as well! What a thinker and Patriot!!

“Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or both." ~ Frederick Douglass

Woolie and jimells like this.

See more popular forum discussions.