• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cipro and Fibro

Carrigon

I ran into someone tonight who swears his fibro was caused by Cipro. And I'm just curious if anyone has heard much about this? I can't remember if I was given Cipro before or after I got fibro, but it was definitely during those years. What really interested me was that his symptoms are so similar to mine. I've heard a little about others swearing they were harmed by Cipro, but haven't heard much about it in a long time.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I ran into someone tonight who swears his fibro was caused by Cipro. And I'm just curious if anyone has heard much about this? I can't remember if I was given Cipro before or after I got fibro, but it was definitely during those years. What really interested me was that his symptoms are so similar to mine. I've heard a little about others swearing they were harmed by Cipro, but haven't heard much about it in a long time.

Depends what the cause was, if bacterial and cipro active against it , why not?? Give it a go? How long were they on cipro for??

cheers!!!

Carrigon

Sadly, you didn't read anything I wrote. The post is about Cipro being a possible cause of Fibromyalgia. Cipro is known to cause things. And there are people out there claiming it caused their Fibro.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Sadly, you didn't read anything I wrote. The post is about Cipro being a possible cause of Fibromyalgia. Cipro is known to cause things. And there are people out there claiming it caused their Fibro.

sorry i didnt read it correctly, i seem to skip/speed read alot more since cfs, seems to save energy but also leads to misinturpreting things. Never used cipro or harmed long term by ABX.

Sorry its the alcohol rinse?

Ocean

I've read a lot about this. The class of antibiotics that Cipro is in have some scary potential side effects. I think usually doctors acknowledge the tendon rupturing issues but from what I've read it seems there are a lot of other things that can happen also. There's lot of info online with people sharing their stories. It's pretty scary. Here are some sites on it, just two of many I think.
http://fqvictims.org/fqvictims/index.htm
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fluoroquinolone-Wall-of-Pain/209182505773463

Marg

I was given Cipro for an infection. The doctor said it woud l kill anything, well it almost did me the pain was so terrible. I thought I had gone into a bad flare, I could hardly walk my legs hurt so much. I read the paper from the drug store and that was a side effect. I was to be on it ten days, I stopped and I will never take it again. It did not cause FM, I already had that. I made it terrible for a week or so. I should have read the paper when I got home.

Nielk

I just found this thread. I have been on Cipro now for two weeks for a staph sinus infection and the longer I am on it the worse I feel. I feel terribly edgy and verrry depressed. I thought that it's because the infection is still there but, now that I see others have had problems with it, I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow to see if I can switch to something else. I also have more muscle pain.

Shellbell

Carrigon and Nielk,

Yes, cipro can cause all sorts of problems. That is how I got sick 4 1/2 years ago. I went from being a fully functional individual to bedridden overnight. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't stand any stress what-so-ever. I developed what to appeared to be mental illness (panic attacks, anxiety, depression, hallucinations) out of the blue while never having a history of it before. I also developed food allergies and MCS. And yes, fibro and severe fatigue that still comes and goes. A couple of years after my adverse reaction, I was officially diagnosed with CFS/fibro. There is documentation that these drugs can cause a sudden onset of CFS.

It has been a slow climb out of the hole it put me in. I am still not working, though more functional these days and hopeful. However, even though I am better, I still have some really bad days. I used to belong to the FQ community a while ago. The good news is that I know of people who have recovered with various treatments, mostly alternative. Some, not so much and are still struggling. These folks chose to treat with meds to combat the side effects. I would be cautious of what you take.

Nielk, I would stop taking cipro. It sounds as if you are having a possible adverse reaction to it. I wish I would have figured out soon enough what was causing me to feel so bad. My reaction was delayed the first time I was given cipro and it took me 3 months to recover. I never knew what was wrong with me. The second time, was sudden onset and it was very apparent that it was cipro causing my problems.

A rule of thumb that the community preached was if you have had a bad reaction to fluoroquinolones one time, don't ever take one again. The effects are cumulative!

Shellbell

Nielk

Hi Shellbel,

Thank you s much for sharing your story! I am so sorry you were affected this way! I never knew about this possible side effects,
Wishing you better health!