• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chronic pain changes our immune system

Skippa

Anti-BS
Is this a good source?

Is this good science?

If not, pls excuse my layman's interest.

Anyways, the reason I thought it was interesting is thus:

Imagine a fast epigenetic response as an evolutionary adaptation. At some point in our history this was a major plus point, carrying us through hard times, adapting to harsh environments, surviving disease outbreaks, whatever.

Now, however, we have the means to mitigate these things ourselves. Controlled living environments, modern medicine, blah blah.

So we get sick, get an immune response, get fatigued, achey, all the other stuff.

For some people the "modern" interventions work wonders, we'll have you back on the road to recovery in a jiffy old chap.

PWCME however experience epigenetic changes too fast? Or due to complications with the initial illness experience it too long (chronically).

And so we get stuck in methylation/acetylation states that were only meant to be transitory, but modern interventions somehow screw this up?

I dunno, just a thought, a loose idea...

Skippa

Anti-BS
What I think I mean is, something (an infection?) causes an initial set of symptoms, but epigenetic changes keep one "locked in" to illness, which exarcerbates (sp?) over time, causing more epigenetic changes, until the body has so adapted to "the threat" that you can treat that, even completely eradicate it, but the chronic changes to the genes maintain the sickness behaviour indefinitely.