August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chronic Pain and Fatigue Trust Launches in New Zealand

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Ember, May 6, 2012.

1. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Monday 07 May 2012

Media release from NZPA

2. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    This certainly appears to be a great thing. Better be careful though the UK psych's and the CDC psych's might think everyone in New Zealand is crazy!!!

This should work against the the psych's hopefully. This could really work well for some of the smaller countries whose fundings may be limited, where as this would give them a chance to collaborate to fund studies and may give a chance for some of the better minds in the field to not be so isolated if they don't prefer to be.

3. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
    Way to go, Kiwis! I think NZ has the most enlightened attitude toward ME/CFS of any country in the world (although Norway is catching up).

4. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    I wonder if the interest is being peaked by the impact this and the very similar diseases are having on the economy throughout parts of the world. An it is certainly not going away on it's own

5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I really hope this not only works but can be shown to be highly successful and cost effective. It will be a great example to show a better approach than CBT/GET. One thing I am not aware of is what treatments they propose though. Reading some background after a search, they are interested in biomarkers and setting up a blood bank for research. It all looks interesting.

If this works and can be shown to work it may prove to be the starting point for similar initiatives elsewhere. No matter where you are you can point to New Zealand and say: they are doing it, and do it well, why aren't we? I can't wait until I can contact my government and ask why we are not doing as much. Thank you to everyone in New Zealand who has helped make this happen.

One thing that is important though, if they can they should do some economic modelling to see if they can show its more cost effective than alternatives.

The worst current alternative of course, from a public cost perspective (though insurance companies may benefit) is CBT/GET. Spend all that money and wind up with patients with decreased functional capacity? Thats negative effectiveness - the public purse is paying to make things worse.

Bye, Alex

Googsta likes this.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

I think public perception of the disease is a big factor. New Zealand had an ME outbreak that resulted in it getting its own name there. And unlike in the US, UK, and the Netherlands, there don't seem to be any political or psychological factions fighting to suppress knowledge of its existence.

Even in the Netherlands, where the Nijmegen group is very active in trying to minimize ME, I think every ordinary (non-doctor) person that I've mentioned it to has already heard of it, has a vague idea of what it is, and knows it's a serious physical disease. If I mention how the Nijmegen group treats it, they're shocked!

And I think the difference in the attitude of ordinary people toward ME in the Netherlands versus the UK might be primarily due to Q-Fever outbreaks. There have been several years recently where a couple thousand people get Q-Fever, and a large percentage of them end up with ME/CFS symptoms. So people are more aware that it exists, and that it can be caused by serious (and real) illnesses.

Snow Leopard, ixchelkali and alex3619 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.