• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chronic lymphoproliferative disorders

Violeta

Wow. These studies are telling. THank you all so much for the links. But I must say its all making me very depressed! Yes, I do live near UPenn. Violeta are you local?
I'm northeast of Philadelphia in Langhorne. I went to a doctor at U of Penn about 10 years ago.

Violeta

I still am looking into EBV utilizing heat shock protein to immortilize cells.

Here's one study, and then I'll find the article that explained it for me.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8986292

Expression of heat shock protein 70 (HSP70) and EBV latent membrane protein 1 (LMP1) in Reed-Sternberg cells of Hodgkin's disease.

Sure. Know it well. My sister in law lives there. Im about 30 minutes from you. If there was anyone worth it at upenn, please private message me the name. If not, I will assume it was another one of those wasted appointments that Ive been on so frequently...:))

Violeta

Sure. Know it well. My sister in law lives there. Im about 30 minutes from you. If there was anyone worth it at upenn, please private message me the name. If not, I will assume it was another one of those wasted appointments that Ive been on so frequently...:))
It was a cardio doc, he was okay. I went there because I didn't like the doctor at the local hospital.

Violeta

It's a small world!

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
Quickly touching on the Acetylchlone receptor antibody findings in CFS and POTS research recently and in the past...this looks interesting talking about normal prion protein (PrPC):

Using several truncated PrP variants and specific tight-binding AChE inhibitors (AChEis), we then demonstrate that the PrP-AChE interaction requires two mutually exclusive sub-sites in PrP N-terminal domain and an aromatic-rich region at the entrance of AChE active center gorge. We show that AChEis that target this site impair PrP-AChE complex formation and also limit the accumulation of pathological prion protein (PrPSc) in prion-infected cell cultures

&

AChE levels were altered in prion infected cells and tissues, suggesting that AChE might be directly associated with abnormal PrP.

Source: Interaction of prion protein with acetylcholinesterase: potential pathobiological
implications in prion diseasesTorrent et al. Acta Neuropathologica Communications (2015) 3:18
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4383067/

PrPC is on neuron surfaces in the brain. So I wonder if blood acetylcholine levels correlate with brain levels? Presumably not.

Either way, out of interest it would be interesting to know if PWME who have low experimental PrPC (REDLABS test) also run a low blood Acetylcholine too. Also then find out what exactly are 'AChE inhibitors (AChEis)' in humans and can we test for them?

If we had two more pieces of evidence alongside low blood PrPc (Naturally this isn't brain it's blood), but anyway, if we had this, it would be rather interesting to see if this then correlates with an infection we all share. Because...

As lymphoproliferative disorders include viruses, autoimmune disorders and forms of cancer, I doubt it's not too wild a guess to propose a shared pathogen could be linked to cause lots of horrible diseases, including ME. (ME just being one genetic outcome of that infection). Others may lead to Leukemia etc.

Theoretically the ensuing immune suppression of 'pathogen X' then makes Lyme (or another infection found in PWME) become chronic - hence we never share the same infections universally as the pathogenesis of ME. If it was a retrovirus, it might not provoke a full immune response in the human host (no antibodies) so it is thus 'stealth'. We could the develop 'ME' after a seemingly innocuous glandular fever/viral event but never get better, the EBV not being the cause, but the trigger (same for Lyme).

Have you noticed this?

PWME generally report an end of high temperatures, diarrhoea and vomiting once they get sick. Many initially report they 'never get anything any more' despite being housebound or bedridden feeling infected 24/7. Throwing up and shaking with a fever is a correct immune response to an infection BTW. We tend not to do that any-more once we get ill. (We can still get infections and this happens, but I mean not chronically, despite us saying we feel chronically infected with a virus feeling that never fully goes away and ramps up with exertion).

A defective cancer retrovirus (that leads to autoimmunity) could do that, it might explain why we get episodes of T cell, B Cell, NK cell elevation (lymphocytosis of multiple cell types), but this then turns off without chemo. Like elements of an intermittent, self aborting CLL almost.

lansbergen

Either way, out of interest it would be interesting to know if PWME who have low experimental PrPC (REDLABS test) also run a low blood Acetylcholine too. Also then find out what exactly are 'AChE inhibitors (AChEis)' in humans and can we test for them?

@Jonathan Edwards
AChE inhibitor tests in MG?

xrayspex

I am diagnosed with SJS and just asked my rheumie to run these tests, don't have results yet:
Anti–acetylcholine receptor antibody
anti-SM
anti-MuSK
Anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibody (ANCA) –
Complement

but did you mean myasthenia gravis Iansbergen? sorry to jump in on thread where I don't totally know what is going on--am doing some research and trying to ferret out what is structural and what is autoimmune (AI ) or ME kind of stuff since there is overlap with problems. I am trying to determine if getting a nerve block for neck related problems and Occipital Neuralgia type problems might help cut back pain and some of the dysfunction---ON can cause brain fog along with the pain and dental pain and eye pain---stuff that might be called neurogenic pain but could be ON---but then again it could also be AI--Sjogrens can cause eye and dental problems and pain..............and doing something like a nerve block injection isn't without its risks........

but anyway, will be curious what the tests reveal--am just trying to rule out MG, vasculitis and lupus etc too

@Jonathan Edwards
AChE inhibitor tests in MG?