The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chronic Lyme scam.

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by andyguitar, Oct 20, 2017.

1. andyguitar

andyguitar Senior Member

South east England
    What would be an appropriate punishment for those involved in the fake tests and treatments for Chronic Lyme?

Orla and svetoslav80 like this.
  2. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    Art Vandelay, JaimeS, Mel9 and 9 others like this.
  3. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
    Well it depends, there are those who either know or don't care if it is a scam and are just in it because there is a good market for it, then there are those who genuinely believe in it and are sure they are helping people, without being certain who is in which group it would be hard to decide.

barbc56 and ukxmrv like this.
  4. dadouv47

dadouv47 Senior Member

Belgium
    What would be an appropriate punishment for those bashing Lyme disease sufferers and their cause?

5. andyguitar

andyguitar Senior Member

South east England
    No one is bashing anyone with lyme disease. Just those who use fake tests and treatments.

svetoslav80, Orla and Tammy like this.
  6. andyguitar

andyguitar Senior Member

South east England
    No one is bashing those with lyme disease . Just those who use fake tests and treatments.

7. dadouv47

dadouv47 Senior Member

Belgium
    What is a fake test to you? The current tests that the insurances covers are the WORST tests we have. So what is a real test please?

Wayne, Nielk and duncan like this.
  8. andyguitar

andyguitar Senior Member

South east England
    In the uk as far as i am aware the test available on the NHS is done at a government lab probably in Witshire. This is sufficient and free.

9. duncan

duncan Senior Member

It may be free, but it is hardly sufficient. It will only confirm exposure, and many believes it misses far too many cases.

sarah darwins, JaimeS, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.
  10. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head:

11. Orla

Orla Senior Member

Ireland
    I think labs that are running unreliable or outright false tests need to be stopped. However, I can see potential problems even with this as there could be turf wars or people trying to stop competitors, so there would need to be independence in the regulatory body. At the very least the test centres should have to write on their test results that they have been deemed unreliable, if they are running dodgey tests.

The treatment thing is trickier I think, as sometimes advances in medicine comes from trying things out. Unfortunately harm can also come via this route. I would be more hesitant about shutting down treatments for this reason.

But tests should be doing what they claim to do and this is more measurable. I think also outside calibration might be necessary to avoid either outright scammers or cock-ups. There was a bit of a scandal in my local hospital when it was found that people were given false negatives on results. S0 screw-ups can happen even in more established institutions, if someone incompetent is employed.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  12. msf

msf Senior Member

You obviously know nothing about Lyme. I don´t think even think the IDSA says that the two-tier test is sufficient. You probably should do some research before you start throwing opinions around.

dadouv47, ErdemX and duncan like this.
  13. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Do you have any evidence that this is sufficient?

I'm genuinely interested to know. Not a wind up.

msf, JaimeS and duncan like this.
  14. MAOAr297r

MAOAr297r Senior Member

Seattle
    I wish legal punishment. I've been diagnosed with ME but before this I was seeing ND's in alternative medicine and they all said I had chronic lyme. I spent over 7 months on three antibiotics and got way sicker...

andyguitar, TrixieStix and Orla like this.
  15. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

Antibiotics are meant for short term use. They were never tested or approved for long-term use.

Did the ND ever explain how chronic intake of a a pharmaceutical antibiotic is natural healing? You should probably sue the ND who prescribed that.
    ND = Not a Doctor.

andyguitar likes this.
  16. MAOAr297r

MAOAr297r Senior Member

Seattle
    I agree. Plus Ron Davis said they suppress (suppress or are similar word) our mTOR gene and in ME/CFS and it makes us even sicker. He said us ME/CFS people have to be very careful with antibiotics. I agree so much that an ND is not a doctor lol. I had 3 of them and was told not to use them but I didn't listen. I don't think a single one could teach cellular respiration to a high school class...not to hate or pick on ND's bcauase there are a few good ones (maybe..) but I'm just saying.

HowToEscape? and andyguitar like this.
  17. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

@MAO. Ja, I fell for a bit of that stuff for a while, fortunately with only moderate consequences. I also had a very bad experience with a popular pharmaceutical, that drug was one example where the sales and hype we’re allowed to run over science.

I believe that Medicine took a big step backwards when advertising for pharmaceuticals became allowed. But that’s a whole different can ‘o of worms

andyguitar, MAOAr297r and Orla like this.

See more popular forum discussions.