Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chronic fatigue syndrome: understanding a complex illness (nature.com)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by wdb, Aug 26, 2011.

1. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
    Seems to be a reasonably balanced article, no surprises what Wessely has to say

Chronic fatigue syndrome: understanding a complex illness
    Stephen T. Holgate, Anthony L. Komaroff, Dennis Mangan & Simon Wessely

Nature Reviews Neuroscience asked four scientists involved in CFS research about their views on the condition, its causes and the future of research aimed at improving our understanding of this chronic illness.

Full article: http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v12/n9/full/nrn3087.html

(was actually tweeted by Ben Goldacre http://twitter.com/#!/bengoldacre/status/107106119817764866 )

2. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

Wessely does a good job of sounding like a whiny prima donna compared to the other scientists. And incapable of saying anything in a straight forward manner.

3. Esther12

Esther12

I think that he comes across unusually badly in this piece. Maybe because he normally only now speaks about CFS to deferential mass media reporters. Even in an utterly unadversarial setting like the nature piece, he seems a lot less convincing when there's an expectation of any substance.

Holgate sounds pretty reasonable though, and makes me feel much more hopeful about the next twenty years of research. Shame we've lost the last couple of decades though.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016

See more popular forum discussions.