• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chronic fatigue syndrome is in your gut, not your head

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160627160939.htm

Now, for the first time, Cornell University researchers report they have identified biological markers of the disease in gut bacteria and inflammatory microbial agents in the blood.

In a study published June 23 in the journal Microbiome, the team describes how they correctly diagnosed myalgic encephalomyeletis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) in 83 percent of patients through stool samples and blood work, offering a noninvasive diagnosis and a step toward understanding the cause of the disease.

perrier

Diet and probiotics can't solve this nightmare, me thinks. If only....all the suffering would be replacing by swimming, running, hiking, working, marrying, procreating, etc.

EtherSpin

Im down for whatever helps the most dramatically,quickly or for the longest period,right now that seems to be drugs like Ritux followed by antivirals - what are the success rates in studies with the gut? I've not seen much but I can't read well! my docs are all for the gut and say the ritux bit is very preliminary but thats not my take on the situation ... and I would like to do antivirals but no doc round here is into that and the meds aren't subsidised

Justin30

Fecal transplant should be a faster quick fix than probiotics, you get a whole new microbiome in the one hit. Now, if they could only explain why it doesn't work for everyone.......

Possibly due to the damage done to the Gut by the initial insult which causes a dybiosis, leaky gut and pemeability issues.

If the epithial layer of the gut ishighly damaged then fecal transplants may just translicate and lead to the perpetuating cycle of LPS in the serum ie. Neuro and endotoxins.

These toxins perpetuate immune dysregulation and autoimmunity most likley.

EtherSpin

Possibly due to the damage done to the Gut by the initial insult which causes a dybiosis, leaky gut and pemeability issues.

If the epithial layer of the gut ishighly damaged then fecal transplants may just translicate and lead to the perpetuating cycle of LPS in the serum ie. Neuro and endotoxins.

it would be interesting to monitor the gut (in whatever fashion is possible!) after B-cell treatments and as I harp on about in every thread possible, it would be great to see CFS treatment centres where blood filtration for waste products (of broken energy cycles, if this is something possible) happens in tandem with depletion of errant B-cells and faecal transplants if samples have shown flora is still very strangely made up.
Peptides should also be given especially if the recovering patient is engaging in mild exercise. folistatin for instance would ensure that if the patient has long rest periods of days between overt exercise sessions muscle will be retained and just build and build instead of atrophy occuring

kangaSue

Yeah, that was my take on it too but then it doesn't explain why some people with Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis can get remission using FMT when the disease in both cases causes severe mucosal injury which should be resulting in intestinal permeability for the whole cohort.

Status
Not open for further replies.