• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chronic fatigue syndrome from vagus nerve infection: psychoneuroimmunological hypothesis

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Can I just check, @Marco, that your penultimate paragraph doesn't relate to non-human studies, as these tend to have at least two major confounding factors (species differences and physical exertion, not to mention unnatural situations).

Well spotted. If I remember correctly part of it was from a mouse model (the first part) but as I said it's a work in progress.

roller

wiggle jiggle
Immunity to tetanus is protective against the development of multiple sclerosis.
We reviewed the medical literature and found two additional recent studies, as well as several older studies, which also observed a significant protective effect of tetanus immunization on the development or progression of MS. Furthermore, decreased humoral and cellular immunity to tetanus toxoid has been observed among MS patients. We postulate that naturally acquired or vaccine-induced immunity to tetanus has a protective effect against the development and progression of MS
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16023300.

Med Hypotheses. 1998 Aug;51(2):133-44.
Autism and Clostridium tetani.
Bolte ER.
Autism is a severe developmental disability believed to have multiple etiologies. (...)
The vagus nerve is capable of transporting tetanus neurotoxin (TeNT) and provides a route of ascent from the intestinal tract to the CNS. This route bypasses TeNT's normal preferential binding sites in the spinal cord, and therefore the symptoms of a typical tetanus infection are not evident. Once in the brain, TeNT disrupts the release of neurotransmitters by the proteolytic cleavage of synaptobrevin, a synaptic vesicle membrane protein. This inhibition of neurotransmitter release would explain a wide variety of behavioral deficits apparent in autism. Lab animals injected in the brain with TeNT have exhibited many of these behaviors.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9881820

Violeta

Immunity to tetanus is protective against the development of multiple sclerosis.
We reviewed the medical literature and found two additional recent studies, as well as several older studies, which also observed a significant protective effect of tetanus immunization on the development or progression of MS. Furthermore, decreased humoral and cellular immunity to tetanus toxoid has been observed among MS patients. We postulate that naturally acquired or vaccine-induced immunity to tetanus has a protective effect against the development and progression of MS
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16023300.

Tetanus vaccine as in DPT? Do you know anyone with MS? Maybe you could ask them if they had one or more DPT vaccines as a baby/child. Do you know anyone who did not receive them as a child? Let me see if I can find some information about the rise in MS and the use of DPT vaccine. It would seem as though they rose together.

Here we have some tetanus vaccine information:
1949 Diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and pertussis (DTP) was licensed.
1937 An adsorbed form of tetanus toxoid was first licensed in the U.S
1914 Tetanus toxoid was introduced following the development of an effective therapeutic serum against tetanus by Emil Von Behring and Shibasaburo Kitasato.

Prevalence. The Multiple Sclerosis Foundation estimates that more than 400,000 people in the United States and about 2.5 million people around the world have MS. About 200 new cases are diagnosed each week in the United States.

Whoa, not enough people getting vaccinated!

I can't find information comparing historical numbers of prevalance.

Here's something.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11052-marked-rise-in-ms-in-the-us-debated-by-scientists/

Last edited:

roller

wiggle jiggle
i think at least tetanus und diphteria vaccinations for babies have been mandatory in Europe from the 1960s on.
measles may have followed in the 1970s.

knackers323

Just highlighting this again in case anyone missed it. Nothing new but an interesting read if the subject interests you. Available as a long-read or podcast.

He makes an interesting hypothetical disease link between ME & chronic Lyme. He also explores his hypothesis in relation to why various pathogens have been associated with ME, but none pinned down as the cause.

Interview with Dr VAN ELZAKKER.

HARVARD NEUROSCIENTIST DR. MICHAEL VAN ELZAKKER: CHRONIC FATIGUE VAGUS NERVE LINK
8th Dec 2015
http://thelowhistaminechef.com/harv...an-elzakker-chronic-fatigue-vagus-nerve-link/

Can everone view the comments at the bottom of the interview or is it my phone?

knackers323

I can't see any comments either.

Sh!t there was good stuff in Rhodes comments. Any idea how to get them back? Are you using an I phone or laptop to view them?

Someone made the comment on a somersault massage or something, did you read that?