1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Chronic fatigue syndrome" by Perry & Santhouse (2012)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

* I gave each sentence its own paragraph

Roseblossom likes this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

My critique of this paper isn't going to be very deep. Basically, I see it (the paper) as a waste of time and you won't miss anything by not reading it.

It has the heading "Psychiatric Aspects of General Medicine" which gives an idea where it is coming from. Both the authors are psychiatrists, with one being based on the Maudsley Hospital (where Simon Wessely & Trudie Chalder are based). It's basically a summary of the area a bit like what NICE did, but there are extra little bits of psychiatric speculation/selective referencing thrown in now and then.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  3. Jon_Tradicionali

Jon_Tradicionali Senior Member

Zogor-Ndreaj, Shkodër, Albania
    Skimmed through it and saw "Effective treatments are available in the form of cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT) and graded exercise therapy (GET)..."

This article is pointless and a few decades behind.

4. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    It's amazing how clinicians supposedly involved in ME/CFS in some manner can go for decades without reading any research relevant to their practice. They're dinosaurs on the brink of extinction, and they don't even know it because they've had their heads buried in the sand the entire time.

See more popular forum discussions.