Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chronic fatigue syndrome and myalgic encephalomyelitis: towards an empirical case definition (Jason)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Free full text: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21642850.2015.1014489#abstract

George, Valentijn and melamine like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

These criteria are similar to IoM criteria.

George and Simon like this.
  3. melamine

melamine Senior Member

Upstate NY
    as distinct from SEID(?)

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Not sure what you're saying?

5. melamine

melamine Senior Member

Upstate NY
    They are using a different name and OI is notably absent.

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

They are an independent group and the paper was submitted before the IoM report was published.

Orthostatic intolerance is absent like you say. But if one has neurocognitive symptoms, one would automatically satisfy the IoM's criteria of neurocognitive symptoms or orthostatic intolerance.

George and Valentijn like this.
  7. melamine

melamine Senior Member

Upstate NY
    What I'm wondering is, will there now be two different diseases with similarities in criteria but different names, one of which has ICC and CCC case definition and much research associated with its name, and one of which has none as of yet? Will future research continue dividing along these lines and using whatever name whoever is doing the research chooses? Will research reflect IOM rather than ICC/CCC? Is SEID in fact the chosen name and is the systemic laziness it implies to some of us considered a better option than chronic fatigue? The article here even features fatigue as one of 4 diagnostic characteristics.

I realize from reading many responses to the choice of the name SEID that systemic laziness is not what comes to mind for everyone, but I'm afraid it sounds even more ridiculous to enough others that if not for the legitimizing recognition of a certain collection of symptoms, this "new" illness is going to confront the same prejudice with respect to its new name. I'm not even sure how accurately SEID reflects the symptom it is trying to represent because of the way it was chosen to satisfy a consensus of experiences (of that class of symptom) in a heterogeneous population. How many healthy people think of the act of standing up or socializing for an hour as "exertion"?

Sean, Nielk, Purple and 3 others like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I'm not going to try to answer this except to say that this latest paper by Lenny Jason probably doesn't have the status to be used for lots of research by itself.

George, Valentijn and melamine like this.
  9. Ember

Ember Senior Member

As Dr. Bateman indicates, "The clinical diagnostic criteria in the report are core symptoms drawn directly from the published ME/CFS literature—much of which came from Dr. L. Jason’s works and the CDC multi-site study...."

melamine likes this.
  10. melamine

melamine Senior Member

Upstate NY
    Dr Bateman:
    "I hope we leave name change deliberations in the dust and focus on the people who are ill."

Before or after a name change? If before (for now) I would certainly agree.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Interesting to see this figure. Makes me concerned that the ICC may not be sensitive enough for all cases Jason et al 2015.png :

Simon and Sean like this.
  12. Purple

Purple Bundle of purpliness

Exactly... and not just healthy people, some medical professionals might think the same way.

ahimsa and Sean like this.
  13. Nielk

Nielk

From the chart, Fukuda is the most sensitive? It's more sensitive than the four question one which is similar to the IOM criteria.

14. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The SEID criteria are broader (and hence more sensitive) than the empirical criteria as the empirical criteria involve only single questions from the neurocognitive. sleep, etc domains.

See more popular forum discussions.