• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia in Canada

Kati

Patient in training

Chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia in Canada: prevalence and associations with six health status indicators

Abstract:

Introduction: Few studies have considered the factors independently associated with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and/or fibromyalgia (FM) or considered the impact of these conditions on health status using population-based data.

Methods: We used data from the nationally representative 2010 Canadian Community Health Survey (n= 59 101) to describe self-reported health professional-diagnosed CFS and/or FM, and their associations with 6 health status indicators.

Results: In 2010, diagnosed CFS and FM are reported by 1.4% (95% confidence interval [CI]: 1.3%–1.6%) and 1.5% (1.4%–1.7%), respectively, of the Canadian household population aged 12 years and over, with comorbid CFS and FM affecting 0.3% (0.3%– 0.4%) of that population. Prevalent CFS and/or FM were more common among women, adults aged 40 years and over, those with lowest income, and those with certain risk factors for chronic disease (i.e. obesity, physical inactivity and smoking). After controlling for differences between the groups, people with CFS and/or FM reported poorer health status than those with neither condition on 5 indicators of health status, but not on the measure of fair/poor mental health. Having both CFS and FM and having multiple comorbid conditions was associated with poorer health status.

Conclusion: Co-occurrence of CFS and FM and having other chronic conditions were strongly related to poorer health status and accounted for much of the differences in health status. Understanding factors contributing to improved quality of life in people with CFS and/or FM, particularly in those with both conditions and other comorbidities, may be an important area for future research

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/hpcdp-pspmc/35-1/assets/pdf/35-1_E_v3_SD.pdf
Also available in french: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/hpcdp-pspmc/35-1/assets/pdf/35-1_F_v3_SD.pdf

This is a peer-reviewed paper.

Last edited:

Kati

Patient in training
Someone I know (also Canadian) reacted to the publication with this answer (shared with permission)

So we're discussing data five years after the fact? Seems par for the course! TREATMENT, TREATMENT, TREATMENT PLEASE!

and then this:

Back in the late 80's, I used to effectively advocate for those with HIV/AIDS. Wish I were able to so some of that these days. I haven't been out in over 4 months and in fact haven't even been dressed in that time. Was forced to call someone to come babysit me yesterday while I had a shower just in case I pass out again and my son is upstairs in a darkened room in unbearable pain, barely able to whisper today. And I'm sure we're not the only ones this sick! How many more are no longer able to access the internet as we can occassionally. It's an absolute outrage that people are discussing 5 year old reports and equally inane and inconsequential activities while countless others are suffering so greatly or committing suicide (such as recently Vanessa and so many others) because they can't possibly bear one minute more of this torturous subsistence. After 30 years, it's disgraceful! Treatment needs to be Number One. The rest of the yakety-yak-yak is just clouding the issues and feeding right into their delay and stalling tactics. We need to stop playing their stupid little games. We so need leaders that will stand up and say "Enough!!!"