• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chronic fatigue syndrome and circulating cytokines: a systematic review

Hope123

If you have concerns about the study and are able to make an argument scientifically, send in a letter to the editor. Note that you do not have to be a scientist or physician to write a letter; the main thing is the points you make be pertinent.

What's the worse that can happen? Your letter does not get published.

What's the best? Your letter can influence how scientists view the illness and you get your name in Pubmed, which then allows you to comment freely on Pubmed in the future on other articles via Pubmed Commons.

Read the Intro on how to send a letter and the journal's requirements:

http://www.elsevier.com/journals/brain-behavior-and-immunity/0889-1591/guide-for-authors#1001

"Letters to the editor should be of high scientific quality, contain less than 500 words, and cite no more than 5 scientific references. If the letter is directed to a paper published in Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, the author of that paper will be provided an opportunity to respond. Both the letter to the editor and the author's response will be published simultaneously."

Dolphin

For what it's worth, @Maxwhd on Twitter just highlighted this from/about M Buckland (one of the authors):

Q. What suggestions do you have for fatigue associated with CVID?

A. The medical perspective

Fatigue is a frequent feature of many conditions that affect the immune system. For this reason Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) requires that underlying disorders are excluded in order to make the diagnosis. Fatigue in CVID should prompt your doctor to investigate for associated autoimmune conditions (e.g. low thryoid function, anaemia etc) and for complications such as granulomatous disease. If no other associated problems are found and it is CVID associated fatigue, then the management is the same as CFS. This includes graded exercise therapy and psychological support.

http://www.piduk.org/specificpidcon.../commonvariableimmunedeficiency/faqsaboutcvid

Dolphin

I would imagine that the P.D. White study, since it is looking at cytokines in their protein form, left out what I think is an important 2011/2012 study by Light, et al., that did show increased IL-10 gene expression (i.e., increased IL-10 mRNA levels) in ME/CFS patients upon exercise:

Gene expression alterations at baseline and following moderate exercise in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Fibromyalgia Syndrome

See this post for more information on that study.
Yes, wasn't included.

Dolphin

I just read the paper. There was no mention of graded exercise. I don't recall any psychobabble that comes to mind (not much anyway). I don't know the immunology literature well enough to know whether there was any bias in what was discussed.

Last edited:

Dolphin

In order to interpret differences and draw conclusions we decided a priori that a minimum of five studies was required to draw a reasonable conclusion from the results.

Only 3 cytokines qualified then for studies following exercise: TNF, IL-6 and IL-1beta; none of the other cytokines were in sufficient studies. They probably should have made this clearer in the abstract.

Last edited:

Dolphin

Chronic fatigue syndrome and circulating cytokines: a systematic review
Received 13 March 2015, Revised 11 June 2015, Accepted 2 July 2015, Available online 3 July 2015

Hornig / Lipkin cytokine study released 27 February 2015
It is a bit unfortunate they don't mention the Hornig finding (different levels based on length of illness) in, say, the discussion as a potential avenue for future researchers to look at.

Dolphin

Peter White and Buckland did an interesting study that found travelling to the hospital led to an increase in TGF-ß which might have been worth mentioning (they did include the study, they just didn't mention this aspect of it).

Full text at: https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ilot_Study/links/0deec529d945499349000000.pdf

Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Volume 12, Issue 2, 2004

Original Article
Immunological Changes After Both Exercise and Activity in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
A Pilot Study

DOI:
10.1300/J092v12n02_06
P. D. Whitea*, K. E. Nyeb, A. J. Pinchingb, T. M. Yapa, N. Powera, V. Vleckd, D. J. Bentleye, J. M. Thomasc, M. Bucklandb& J. M. Parkinb
pages 51-66

• Published online: 04 Dec 2011
Abstract

Background:

The chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is characterized by post-exertional malaise and fatigue.

We designed this pilot study to explore whether the illness was associated with alterations in immunological markers following exercise.

Methods:

We measured immunological markers before and up to three days after either a sub-maximal or maximal bicycle exercise test.

We studied nine patients with CFS and nine age-and sex-matched healthy but sedentary controls.

We also studied the same patients with CFS at home after a night's sleep and then after traveling to the study center.

Results:

There were no significant differences in any of the cell markers after a sub-maximal exercise test compared to a maximal test.

However, we found elevated concentrations of plasma transforming growth factor beta (TGF-ß), even before exercise, in subjects with CFS (median (IQR) of 904 (182-1072) pg/ml) versus controls (median (IQR) of 50 (45-68) pg/ml) (P < .001).

Traveling from home to the hospital significantly elevated TGF-ß concentrations from a resting median (IQR) concentration of 1161 (130-1246) pg/ml to a median (IQR) concentration of 1364 (1155-1768) pg/ml (P < .02).

There was also a sustained increase in plasma tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-cc) after exercise in CFS patients, but not in controls (P = .004 for the area under the curve), although traveling had no such effect.

CD3, CD4 and HLA DR-expressing lymphocyte counts were lower in CFS patients, but exercise had the same effect in both groups, causing an immediate increase in circulating cell numbers that lasted less than three hours.

Conclusions:

These results suggest that the relationship between physical activity and both pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines merits further investigation in patients with CFS.

The results also emphasize the importance of defining a truly resting baseline condition in such studies.

Dolphin

It would have been interesting if they had given the sample sizes for the studies. I'm not sure how well powered all of the studies were to find differences.

I know this study only had 9 CFS patients and 9 controls:
White, P.D., Nye, K.E., Pinching, A.J., Yap, T.M., Power, N., Vleck, V., Bentley, D.J., Thomas, J.M., Buckland, M., Parkin, J.M., 2004. Immunological Changes After Both Exercise and Activity in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. J. Chronic Fatig. Syndr. 12, 51–66

They do mention this:

Sample sizes were often small with five studies containing 10 or fewer patients. Given that the CFS patient population is heterogeneous, large sample groups are important in order to demonstrate an association.

Dolphin

This is the reason they gave for not doing a meta-analysis:
Different assays were used across studies. This reflects changed assays used over time and the use of different suppliers across continents. As a result, we were unable to do a meta-analysis of the results.

Dolphin

The Tables
Table 3: Summary of study results for cytokines at baseline/resting.
Table 4: Summary of study results for serum/plasma cytokines following exercise.
probably have a use if one wants a summary of what has been found (it is hard to mentally recall what has been found)

Dolphin

Table 5 is probably the most interesting one as it gives a lot of data from each study:
Blundell 2015 Table 5.png

There are huge differences in the numerical results: one could see why one might not be inclined to combine them together.

Dolphin

An example suggesting that Peter White and Andrew Lloyd are close
We are grateful for feedback received from Professor Andrew Lloyd on a previous draft.

A thing they co-wrote before was the following (people shouldn't feel they have to read):
https://www.sciencemag.org/content/328/5980/825.2.full.pdf
Comment on “Detection of an Infectious Retrovirus, XMRV, in Blood Cells of Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome” Andrew Lloyd,1 Peter White,2 Simon Wessely,3 Michael Sharpe,4 Dedra Buchwald5

Lombardi et al. (Reports, 23 October 2009, p. 585) reported a significant association between the human retrovirus XMRV and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). However, the cases with CFS and the control subjects in their study are poorly described and unlikely to be representative. Independent replication is a critical first step before accepting the validity of this finding. The finding of a significant association between xenotropic murine leukemia virus– related virus (XMRV) and the enigmatic clinical illness, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), has the potential to revise our understanding of the pathogenesis of this condition and raise serious public health concerns (1). It is unusual to find such a strong association between an infectious agent and a well-defined chronic disease, much less an illness like CFS. As such, critical evaluation of the results is paramount. Experienced CFS researchers will remember the 1991 “discovery” of an HTLV-2–like retrovirus in CFS (2), which subsequent studies failed to replicate (3–6).

For reliable results, clearly defined cases should be compared to a control group similar in all aspects other than the disease. The 101 patients studied in (1) were “patients fulfilling the 1994 CDC Fukuda criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome and the 2003 Canadian Consensus Criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalitis (CFS/ME) and presenting with severe disability” [supporting online material for (1)], but the latter requires physical signs precluded in the former. The patients were selected, in part, with immunologic perturbations such as in RNase L pathways, yet there are no biomarkers that have demonstrated reliability in affirming the diagnosis of CFS (7). Lombardi et al. (1) provided no description of demographics, illness duration, pattern of onset, or evaluation for exclusionary medical and psychiatric conditions. Likewise, the characteristics of the controls, and details of collection, handling, and storage of specimens, are not described. It is therefore impossible to critically evaluate the findings.

CFS is likely to arise from complex genes-xenvironment risk factors, making a simple causative link between XMRVand CFS unlikely. Even if confirmed, further research will be needed to demonstrate causality. In relation to prostate cancer, with which a comparable association with XMRV was reported (8), negative replication studies are mounting (9). Similarly, three negative replication studies in well-characterized cases of CFS have now been published (10–12). This outcome serves as a cogent reminder of the need for independent replication before findings such as this can be accepted.

References and Notes

1. V. C. Lombardi et al., Science 326, 585 (2009).
2. E. DeFreitas et al., Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 88, 2922 (1991).
3. J. W. Gow et al., J. Clin. Pathol. 45, 1058 (1992).
4. M. Honda et al., Microbiol. Immunol. 37, 779 (1993).
5. A. S. Khan et al., Ann. Intern. Med. 118, 241 (1993).
6. W. Heneine et al., Clin. Infect. Dis. 18 (suppl. 1), S121 (1994).
7. M. Lyall, M. Peakman, S. Wessely, J. Psychosom. Res. 55, 79 (2003).
8. R. Schlaberg, D. J. Choe, K. R. Brown, H. M. Thaker, I. R. Singh, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 106, 16351 (2009).
9. O. Hohn et al., Retrovirology 6, 92 (2009).
10. O. Erlwein et al., PLoS ONE 5, e8519 (2010).
11. H. C. Groom et al., Retrovirology 7, 10 (2010).
12. F. J. M. van Kuppeveld et al., BMJ 340, c1018 (2010).

13. M.S. has been paid by insurers for independent advice on medical claims that might include CFS. He has also been paid by lawyers for independent advice on litigation that might include CFS. 22 October 2009; accepted 18 April 2010 10.1126/science.1183706

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I have only just discovered this thread. As far as I can see this paper is the write up of work presented a year ago at the CMRC meeting in Bristol. Maybe the Hornig data were added just before submission for publication. The presentation in Bristol was by a junior researcher who appeared very sensible and careful in approach (I guess S Blundella). I see no reason why the team should not be knowledgeable about cytokine work. Simon Wesseley did quite a lot of biochemical work early on and that group is not going to be ill-informed just because they include psychiatrists. I have expressed my own reservations about some of the other work they were involved in but it seems to me maybe the pot calling the kettle black to assume that this study is substandard just by association.

My impression is that it is not particularly exciting but systematic reviews of the literature like this are something badly needed. And the lack of much in the way of consistent or startling findings seems to be realistic. Moreover, the highlighting of TGF beta is not without interest. It may actually be a good idea for a psychiatrist to do a review like this because they will not have a vested interest in any particular cytokine as part of bidding for grant applications!

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Table 5 is probably the most interesting one as it gives a lot of data from each study:
View attachment 12937
There are huge differences in the numerical results: one could see why one might not be inclined to combine them together.

It would require some sort of normalisation procedure, but it is hard to do that without introducing arbitrary biases... (and the control sample sizes/selection are not really representative of the general population)