When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Chronic Widespread Pain in Adolescence: Population birth cohort study.

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by RogerBlack, Dec 17, 2016.

1. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27845196

Crawley et al.
    Unfortunately, questionnaire based from a general purpose survey, so at best would be an interesting screen to use before contacting the patients and following them up to see if they have CFS. This was not done, nor were the questions specific to CFS. At best perhaps an upper bound on those who have fatigue and some other symptoms.

The prevalence of 2.6% seems rather high, though the case definition is a hell of a lot better than '6 months medically unexplained fatigue'.
    As an exclusion 'the adolescent felt better after resting' seems to partially capture PEM and non-restorative sleep.

The lack of support they find for the central sensitisation hypothesis is interesting - as I understand it this is one of the keystones of BPS.
    (everything is felt more than it should, so fear/avoidance kick in)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

The diagnosis of CFS was based on a questionnaire for "measuring psychiatric disorders" (see link). There is no mention of medical investigation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1615114

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  3. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Seeing as it's not a proper study, and any science/statistics/reporting will have been done most improperly, that's the best way to read it. I won't be properly reading it either.

MEMum, Mark, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  4. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Me neither.

This stuff is nonsense.

Not science.

Don't waste your time...

Happy Christmas.

MEMum, Hutan, SuzieSam and 2 others like this.
  5. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member

"Future research should investigate whether depression and anxiety are causal or secondary to CFS and whether anxiety is causal for chronic pain syndrome. Furthermore, it is important to elucidate the factors that are contrib- uting to the higher prevalence of CFS, and to a greater degree, CWP, observed in women [/QUOTE]

You could think the NICE criteria were developed especially for people like Crawley to endlessly approach CFS from a MH/behavioural perspective

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    SamanthaJ and MEMum like this.
  6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I agree. Maybe they used looser cut-offs than normal for other things?

Thanks for pointing that out interesting.

7. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member

Think we can guess these won't be the factors that cause higher prevalence in autoimmune illness?

SamanthaJ likes this.
  8. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Allow me to introduce ... the keystones of BPS:

keystones.jpg

SamanthaJ, MEMum, soti and 6 others like this.
  9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Seems strange that no prospective data was analysed? Or perhaps that is the plan - current data to predict future CFS in 5-10 years time.

10. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    A medical examination is mandatory for diagnosing CFS according to Fukuda, NICE or Canadian criteria - all of them. It's mandatory because there are so many possible alternative causes of fatigue that you can't find with a questionnaire. So this study tells us nothing useful about CFS, however defined. Publish it as a chronic fatigue study perhaps, but researchers and journals shouldn't use the CFS label without proper CFS diagnosis.

mango, TiredSam, trishrhymes and 8 others like this.
  11. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Senior Member

UK
    That doesn't sound like M.E to me, sounds more like chronic fatigue, yet another case of diluted definitions, typical Esther Crawley.

Valentijn and TiredSam like this.
  12. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

It's only asking about the past 7 days, so it wouldn't even qualify as vaguely being "chronic".

Esther12, Solstice and TiredSam like this.
  13. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

I guess on reflection (first post edited) that this would be a reasonable upper bound on CFS in the population.
    But not an actually useful one, as nobody thinks it's that high.

Esther12 likes this.
  14. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I think I'd just assumed there must be something to indicate more long-standing problems! If it really is just about the last seven days, that's ridiculous.

15. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

RogerBlack said:

Sounds more to me like confused teenagers being asked if they slowed down near their bedtime a bit or switched of a bit during a boring lesson or were recovering from a sports event the previous day.

Its a really serious problem this, being tired leading up to bedtime 3 days out of seven. Thank goodness people like Crawley are on the case, we need to throw as much money at this as possible whilst ignoring neuro immune diseases.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    AndyPR likes this.
  16. ash0787

ash0787 Senior Member

A lot of the research I am seeing here is like this, this one seems to be bordering on 'social science', very sad

" Furthermore, it is important to elucidate the factors that are contrib- uting to the higher prevalence of CFS, and to a greater degree, CWP, observed in women " most likely natural selection, you know that basic principle of science ?

See more popular forum discussions.