1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Part 2: Brain Cells Making us Sick? Messed up microglia could be driving symptoms
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, might be overactive and driving the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chronic Fatigue Self-Management in Primary Care: A Randomized Trial

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Bob, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK
  2. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I haven't read the full paper, but judging only by the results in the abstract, the study seems to suggest that "fatigue self-management" (FSM) is at least as effective as CBT/GET were found to be in the PACE trial. And more effective by some measures. And it seems "fatigue self-management" would be significantly cheaper to implement than CBT/GET as it only involves a 'brief' intervention.

But that's only judging by the abstract, so take it with a pinch of salt, until the methodology and analysis is scrutinised.

I'm trying to find out what exactly "fatigue self-management" involves.

Dr. Friedberg, lead author, is President of the International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (IACFS/ME.)

(Edited)
  3. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    Notice that is says "Chronic Fatigue", not "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome".
  4. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    The first sentence of the abstract says this:
    So basically they're equating CF with CFS.
  5. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    So basically this is useless.
    Valentijn and slayadragon like this.
  6. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Actually, I think they've used the term 'chronic fatigue' to refer to both unexplained chronic fatigue (UCF) and CFS. They just seem to have used an unhelpful sloppy short-hand for a 'catchy' title.

Conclusion:
    "A brief self-management intervention for patients with UCF or CFS seemed to be clinically effective for reducing the impact of fatigue on functioning."

But, I agree, 'Chronic Fatigue' isn't a helpful term, and neither is the name of the intervention: "fatigue self-management', which is suggestive that CFS patients simply suffer from ordinary fatigue.
    Valentijn likes this.
  7. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I'm trying to find out what exactly "fatigue self-management" involves.

I haven't got access to the full paper, and I'm trying to understand the exact nature of "fatigue self-management" (FSM).
    I don't know much about Dr Friedberg (lead author of the study & president of the IACFS/ME), but I had always thought that he and the IACFS/ME were not supportive of the cognitive-behavioural model of CFS/ME.

However, I think that "fatigue self-management" is actually based on CBT. I can't find exact details, but I've found some details about 'brief self-management', which I think might be the same or similar (my emphasis added):

Looking at Dr Friedberg's "7 steps" plan for CFS & FM, which the following website describes as a 'treatment' for CFS & FM, I'm really not impressed with the way he associates emotional problems with CFS/ME symptoms:
    http://www.cfidsselfhelp.org/library/fred-friedberg%25E2%2580%2599s-seven-step-protocol-treating-cfs-fm

Dr Friedberg is a psychologist, which is news to me:
    http://phoenixrising.me/interviews-...with-dr-fred-friedberg-by-cort-johnson-part-i

See more popular forum discussions.