1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chronic Fatigue Self-Management in Primary Care: A Randomized Trial

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Bob, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK
  2. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I haven't read the full paper, but judging only by the results in the abstract, the study seems to suggest that "fatigue self-management" (FSM) is at least as effective as CBT/GET were found to be in the PACE trial. And more effective by some measures. And it seems "fatigue self-management" would be significantly cheaper to implement than CBT/GET as it only involves a 'brief' intervention.

But that's only judging by the abstract, so take it with a pinch of salt, until the methodology and analysis is scrutinised.

I'm trying to find out what exactly "fatigue self-management" involves.

Dr. Friedberg, lead author, is President of the International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (IACFS/ME.)

(Edited)
  3. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    Notice that is says "Chronic Fatigue", not "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome".
  4. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    The first sentence of the abstract says this:
    So basically they're equating CF with CFS.
  5. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    So basically this is useless.
    Min, Valentijn and slayadragon like this.
  6. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Actually, I think they've used the term 'chronic fatigue' to refer to both unexplained chronic fatigue (UCF) and CFS. They just seem to have used an unhelpful sloppy short-hand for a 'catchy' title.

Conclusion:
    "A brief self-management intervention for patients with UCF or CFS seemed to be clinically effective for reducing the impact of fatigue on functioning."

But, I agree, 'Chronic Fatigue' isn't a helpful term, and neither is the name of the intervention: "fatigue self-management', which is suggestive that CFS patients simply suffer from ordinary fatigue.
    Min and Valentijn like this.
  7. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I'm trying to find out what exactly "fatigue self-management" involves.

I haven't got access to the full paper, and I'm trying to understand the exact nature of "fatigue self-management" (FSM).
    I don't know much about Dr Friedberg (lead author of the study & president of the IACFS/ME), but I had always thought that he and the IACFS/ME were not supportive of the cognitive-behavioural model of CFS/ME.

However, I think that "fatigue self-management" is actually based on CBT. I can't find exact details, but I've found some details about 'brief self-management', which I think might be the same or similar (my emphasis added):

Looking at Dr Friedberg's "7 steps" plan for CFS & FM, which the following website describes as a 'treatment' for CFS & FM, I'm really not impressed with the way he associates emotional problems with CFS/ME symptoms:
    http://www.cfidsselfhelp.org/library/fred-friedberg%25E2%2580%2599s-seven-step-protocol-treating-cfs-fm

Dr Friedberg is a psychologist, which is news to me:
    http://phoenixrising.me/interviews-...with-dr-fred-friedberg-by-cort-johnson-part-i
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

For anyone interested, the full text can now be accessed for free at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3785003/
    Bob likes this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The abstract doesn't point out that the intervention was not efficacious for the three secondary outcome measures either in the intention-to-treat or per-protocol analyses.

The main results are in this Table: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3785003/table/T2/.

Friedberg Table 2 part 1.png

Friedberg Table 2 part 2.png

FSS is scored 1-7 (7 is worst). SF-36 PF 0-100 (100 is best and quite a lot of people in the general population score 100).
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

14. is an interesting trial that doesn't get referred to much. An intervention that is based on pacing (COG) did a bit better than King's College London-type CBT (i.e. Chalder-/Wessely-type CBT).

It's free at: http://www.cfids-cab.org/cfs-inform/CFStreatment/jason.etal07.pdf

Here's a description of COG which Friedberg et al. said was a basis for this trial:

Jason et al 2007 Table 1 part 1 larger.png

Jason et al 2007 Table 1 part 2 larger.png
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Other information from Friedberg et al (2013) on the intervention:

12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Looks like they intended to use two more objective measures but weren't able to collect sufficient data - disappointing:
    A study on the economic costs/benefits will be published separately.
    Valentijn likes this.
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

39% had CFS (Fukuda et al.)

---

---

I believe the following means that the UCF (non-CFS) group had lower fatigue scores across the study but there wasn't a difference in response between the UCF and CFS group (however in the per protocol analyses, the sample sizes are reduced reducing the power to find differences).

14. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

They used blinded assessors:
    Valentijn, WillowJ and Esther12 like this.
  15. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Clinically significant change:
    Threshold doesn't seem to match: 5.57 - (2 * .94) = 3.65:

16. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Senior Member

Scotland
    Desperate disappointing from the president of IACFS/ME.
    WillowJ and Min like this.

See more popular forum discussions.