Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chronic fatigue patients more likely to suppress emotions

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by worldbackwards, May 17, 2016.

1. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-05-chronic-fatigue-patients-suppress-emotions.html
    Astonishing.
    Can't think why ME patients would have to suppress their emotions around Trudie Chalder...

MEMum, Karena, Mij and 16 others like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

MEMum, L'engle, Karena and 7 others like this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Observer rated emotional expression. The researcher conducting the experiment was not blinded. The study might be telling the truth, or it might be telling us about the observer's beliefs.

zzz, MEMum, Mij and 11 others like this.
  4. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Can you change the title, I could care less about CF patients, I have CFS/ME!

GG

5. worldbackwards

Earth
    That's what the article's called. Take it or leave it.

6. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

The title seems to omit " syndrome " but the first line includes it. What the fu#k are these people playing at.

MEMum and Webdog like this.
  7. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

I have trouble regulating my body temperature, and often sweat for no apparent reason. But apparently sweating must mean I'm coping with stress. :nervous::nervous::nervous:

MEMum, Clerner, Daisymay and 5 others like this.
  8. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

CFS is the term used in the study and Fukuda criteria was used to select patients.

9. worldbackwards

Earth
    The findings don't surprise me at all - I can no more sustain anger or upset for long periods without exhaustion than I can run around the block. Unsurprisingly, I try to suppress and avoid such things.

I do rather wish that it was someone else interpreting the results here though.

MEMum, L'engle, Karena and 12 others like this.
  10. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Certainly not true of me when I read shit like this.

zzz, slysaint, MEMum and 27 others like this.
  11. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

They seem to think skin colour could be a factor in how patients deal with stress.

MEMum, Mel9, BurnA and 5 others like this.
  12. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

13. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

The film they showed wasn't exactly neutral I can imagine a lot of people with chronic conditions wouldn't be particularly shocked by the state of care services in the UK and especially people with ME. If they failed to choose a neutral video clip and didn't control for chronic disease (i.e. have other groups with different chronic illnesses) then their results are meaningless.

MEMum, panckage, JaimeS and 15 others like this.
  14. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    I'll be honest, post ME/CFS I think I tend to run a little more intolerant of b.s. I might 'suppress' that because I was raised to be polite and not argue with authority... but then again, lately I don't tend to see medical figures as authority any more.

MEMum, Karena, Mel9 and 4 others like this.
  15. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

Doesn't this mean that people with ME are less anxious and distressed than people who don't have ME?

Or do they just pick a conclusion that suits them when people with ME don't report feeling anxious or distressed?

"Therefore they are suppressing their emotions".

Or do they just conclude "suppression of emotions" exists by interviewing people with ME and asking them how they deal with the emotional side of having ME and when they say they have learned to cope with it that is reported as not overt enough and therefore suppression of emotions?

Or perhaps they start by concluding that ME must be a condition caused by distress and anxiety and then when they ask PWME if they ever feel distressed about their situation they then conclude its false illness beliefs and false illness anxiety if they dare comment on their symptoms and their concerns surrounding the illness.

So let me get this straight..... PWME are showing no signs of more distress or anxiety than other groups therefore they must by default be in more distress and states of anxiety despite not reporting them and therefore they are suppressing the no signs of them?

So then they move onto a sweat test and ask accusatory questions like a witch trial and if the person sweats then they both have the symptoms of anxiety and distress and this proves that they are suppressing them?

I suppose uttering such truisms as "doctors are useless at diagnosing and understanding this disease therefore I don't bother with them anymore and CBT is proven hoax", scores one full marks on the "suppressor of emotions" list. Except when one actually articulates such to a "professional" which then somehow becomes not suppression of emotions but just pure faulty illness belief.

One can just about draw any conclusion one wants from an unblinded survey based questionnaire where the investigator has a vested interest in a given conclusion.

I could go on.....but whats the point?

The study sounds like a big bag of the usual bullshit by the usual suspects.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Aurator, Mel9, Solstice and 9 others like this.
  16. Wildcat

Wildcat

Our disease is a research funding gravy train. But no money for biomedical ME research.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    MEMum, JaimeS, Mel9 and 5 others like this.
  17. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Expending energy - whether it be physical, cognitive or emotional energy can be quite draining.
    Perhaps it is not "suppression of emotion" so much as pacing done by patients to minimize emotional highs or lows and thereby minimize energy expenditure....

MEMum, Karena, Mij and 15 others like this.
  18. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    Or perhaps they watched a video expressing how folks aren't getting the care they need... and they didn't react because they've already experienced the issue first-hand and have already dealt with all their 'emotional responses'?

MEMum, panckage, JaimeS and 9 others like this.
  19. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    You know, the more of these little piddling 'emotional' and psychological studies I see... the more angry I get that the LITTLE bit of money we have for ME/CFS research is being thrown away on crap.

MEMum, L'engle, Karena and 13 others like this.
  20. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

Dont people get nervous under test conditions why would it be so unusual to sweat more in such a situation.

What does the sweating prove when the study is not controlled and unblinded?

Ill tell you......Sweet F**k all !!!!

Or maybe Sweat F**k all?

Why are we bothering with all of these FOI issues back and forth why don't we just give Peter White a sweat test whilst asking him if the PACE trial is a fraud and if he sweats its all settled and the papers should be retracted.

Then we will see what they think of a sweat test!

Last edited: May 17, 2016

See more popular forum discussions.