• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Choosing an adrenal glandular?

alice111

Suggestions / recommendations for adrenal glandular? There are sooooo many to choose from...
Thanks! :)

Mary

Moderator Resource
Suggestions / recommendations for adrenal glandular? There are sooooo many to choose from...
Thanks! :)

I've had good results with both Drenamin PMG and Drenatrophin, both by Standard Process. Biotics also makes a good product - Cytozyme AD, and Adrenogen by Metagenics is also good. As you can probably guess, I've taken adrenal glandulars off and on for a long time (currently off).

When I first took Drenatrophin back in the mid-1990s, my chiropractor who does muscle testing was the one who recommended it and, based on his testing, I had to take roughly 3 times the recommended dose because my adrenals were so weak. I'm pretty sure if I had just taken the standard dose of 3 tablets a day, I would not have gotten the results I did. Having said that, I'm not recommending you start with 9 tablets a day, but want you to be aware that dosing is important. I've read comments by some people that adrenal glandulars didn't help, but I always wonder what dose they were taking and if they were taking enough. I did start to feel better within 2 or 3 days of starting the Drenatrophin.

drob31

There's a thread from last week where someone talks about Standard Process. I can't remember who did it but it should be easy enough to find.

here it is

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ar-makes-a-huge-difference.38963/#post-623777

Dessicated Adrenal by standard process is what I've been taking. Note that some people recommend only taking adrenal cortex, as the whole gland may have some adrenaline, however dessicated adrenal has been helping me, I'd say 30% improvement. Although this experiment may prove I actually need hydrocortizone.

Ema

It's been my experience that licorice or grapefruit work better than glandulars. Both work by inhibiting the enzyme that breaks down cortisol to cortisone and thus keeping more in your system longer.

If additional support is needed, I find it easier just to use hydrocortisone so you know exactly what you're getting and in what dose.

drob31

It's been my experience that licorice or grapefruit work better than glandulars. Both work by inhibiting the enzyme that breaks down cortisol to cortisone and thus keeping more in your system longer.

If additional support is needed, I find it easier just to use hydrocortisone so you know exactly what you're getting and in what dose.

Hi Ema,

What doses of licorice root do you use? Also, how long does it take to have an effect / how long does it last?

Ema

Hi Ema,

What doses of licorice root do you use? Also, how long does it take to have an effect / how long does it last?
I used the Metametrix Licorice Plus, 1-2 tablets per day.

I noticed an effect within a week or two, I think. It's been a long time now! But I noticed continued improvement in my BP after using it regularly for some time. I also monitored my labs to make sure my electrolytes were staying in optimal ranges.

alice111

Thanks guys!
@Ema ive never heard of grapefruit acting like licorice what do u use? Is it an extract? Not th same as grapefruit seed extract?

alice111

@drob31 @Mary standard process seems to have a few adrenal glandulars..
Desiccated adrenal
Drenatrophin pmg
Adrenal complex

Does anyone understand the difference between these 3?

Ema

Thanks guys!
@Ema ive never heard of grapefruit acting like licorice what do u use? Is it an extract? Not th same as grapefruit seed extract?
Grapefruit juice works on the CYP3A4 pathway that breaks down many drugs. That's why you need to be careful with it if you are taking other meds and use a drug interaction checker. It's just plain grapefruit juice, not the grapefruit seed extract.

Licorice works on a different enzyme but still potentiates cortisol by preventing it from converting to the inactive cortisone.

Here's an article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21896619