August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Choosing an adrenal glandular?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by alice111, Jul 31, 2015.

1. alice111

alice111 Senior Member

Canada
    Suggestions / recommendations for adrenal glandular? There are sooooo many to choose from...
    Thanks! :)

2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
  3. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    I've had good results with both Drenamin PMG and Drenatrophin, both by Standard Process. Biotics also makes a good product - Cytozyme AD, and Adrenogen by Metagenics is also good. As you can probably guess, I've taken adrenal glandulars off and on for a long time (currently off).

When I first took Drenatrophin back in the mid-1990s, my chiropractor who does muscle testing was the one who recommended it and, based on his testing, I had to take roughly 3 times the recommended dose because my adrenals were so weak. I'm pretty sure if I had just taken the standard dose of 3 tablets a day, I would not have gotten the results I did. Having said that, I'm not recommending you start with 9 tablets a day, but want you to be aware that dosing is important. I've read comments by some people that adrenal glandulars didn't help, but I always wonder what dose they were taking and if they were taking enough. I did start to feel better within 2 or 3 days of starting the Drenatrophin.

4. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    This is what I used., Enzymatic Therapies.

5. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

Dessicated Adrenal by standard process is what I've been taking. Note that some people recommend only taking adrenal cortex, as the whole gland may have some adrenaline, however dessicated adrenal has been helping me, I'd say 30% improvement. Although this experiment may prove I actually need hydrocortizone.

6. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    It's been my experience that licorice or grapefruit work better than glandulars. Both work by inhibiting the enzyme that breaks down cortisol to cortisone and thus keeping more in your system longer.

If additional support is needed, I find it easier just to use hydrocortisone so you know exactly what you're getting and in what dose.

7. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

Hi Ema,

What doses of licorice root do you use? Also, how long does it take to have an effect / how long does it last?

8. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I used the Metametrix Licorice Plus, 1-2 tablets per day.

I noticed an effect within a week or two, I think. It's been a long time now! But I noticed continued improvement in my BP after using it regularly for some time. I also monitored my labs to make sure my electrolytes were staying in optimal ranges.

9. alice111

alice111 Senior Member

Canada
    Thanks guys!
    @Ema ive never heard of grapefruit acting like licorice what do u use? Is it an extract? Not th same as grapefruit seed extract?

10. alice111

alice111 Senior Member

Canada
    @drob31 @Mary standard process seems to have a few adrenal glandulars..
    Desiccated adrenal
    Drenatrophin pmg
    Adrenal complex

Does anyone understand the difference between these 3?

11. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Grapefruit juice works on the CYP3A4 pathway that breaks down many drugs. That's why you need to be careful with it if you are taking other meds and use a drug interaction checker. It's just plain grapefruit juice, not the grapefruit seed extract.

Licorice works on a different enzyme but still potentiates cortisol by preventing it from converting to the inactive cortisone.

Here's an article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21896619

See more popular forum discussions.