Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chocolate - likely to be causing 'wired but tired'?

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by Sasha, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Tally

Tally Senior Member

I've been eating chocolate with over 70% cocoa content since I was a kid and it never made me wired or have trouble sleeping.

But lately I started suspecting it's causing my heart palpatation and delayed heart beats. Is that even possible?

2. Webdog

Webdog 84-91% are undiagnosed

California
    I try to consume a packet of CocoaVia every morning. It mildly helps my neuro symptoms while calming my "wired but tired" feeling. It's subtle, but I'll take any improvement I can get.

Insomnia is only an issue if I take it in the evening. I don't have issues with caffeine in general.

Edit: I use the unsweetened CocoaVia powder.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  3. Keela Too

Keela Too Sally Burch

N.Ireland
    I have been unable to eat chocolate for decades (migraine). I still got ME and still got "wired/tired" without any chocolate in my system ever. I think however sugar can induce unpleasant symptoms. I now avoid as much sugar as I can.

4. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    Chocolate unfortunately is hard on the adrenals.

Misfit Toy likes this.
  5. antherder

antherder a.k.a. Princess Dauer, Nematode Nation

I like the taste of chocolate, but it makes me feel rather ill. I'm very sensitive to caffeine, and can't drink more than one cup a day, but definitely don't get the same reaction.

Chocolate is apparently high histamine, high salicylate, and high copper, so I suspect that may be why I react so badly to it.

Misfit Toy likes this.
  6. antherder

antherder a.k.a. Princess Dauer, Nematode Nation

I know of someone who did discover that chocolate was the apparent cause of their heart symptoms. Anecdotal, of course.

7. Tally

Tally Senior Member

That doesn't seem to be the case for me. I eat even more dark chocolate now and my palpatations have stopped

8. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    Chocolate makes me very sick. I even bought the chocolate without the 8 allergens and I was even worse on that. I was itching and up all night. I have to get rid of one of my favorite foods!

See more popular forum discussions.